TravelTalkOnline

I can't wait to return. two more days

Posted By: lcote

I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/06/2018 05:05 PM

It has been three long years since we were on our favorite island. Two years ago, we were ready to go and a month before we were to leave, I got the worst news. I had breast cancer and had to cancel our trip to paradise to undergo treatment.
Last year, of course, Irma made her presence known.

This year, things were looking good. Last week, I had an emergency appendectomy but even that is not stopping us.

What to do first when we arrive (God Willing) on Saturday at 2:15?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/06/2018 05:52 PM

Enjoy your trip! First thing to do when you arrive?? Breathe deeply, the sweet air of sweet St. Maarten!!
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/06/2018 06:03 PM

That may or may not be good advice with the dump fire!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/06/2018 07:50 PM

Nice little buzz kill there.. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/07/2018 03:23 AM

Buzz kill really? It is an issue and the people that live in SXM know this . They are the ones breathing this toxic air every day. I work in the medical field and I am aware of the harm it can cause. Some people on this forum feel SXM is utopia and they are blind to the problems this island has. Once the dump issue gets out to the US and Canada things will change. TTOL will not be able to get the message out, it's just a small handful of people. There are many forums and news alerts that eventually will reach home and no one will want to take the chance of going to an island where one cannot breath fresh air with a burning dump that no one knows how to control it. I love SXM but something has to be done to correct all of the problems that are existing now or there will be no tourists, there are too many other islands to visit.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/07/2018 11:00 AM

We've been at Simpson Bay Resort for a week now and not detected any smoke in our area.

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/07/2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leagle49
We've been at Simpson Bay Resort for a week now and not detected any smoke in our area.

thank you! I will hope that this is the case when we get to divi!

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/07/2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Leagle49

You don't have to see the smoke, the toxins are already in the air. People with lung problems should use extreme caution.
Posted By: PattyH

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/07/2018 08:16 PM

If only someone could find a way to stop hurricanes. The dumping that occurs after that has to be hard on such a small island. And I hate to mention this one, what do the cruise ships do with all their garbage? I had someone mention to me 15 years ago that this is an island that cannot handle it's garbage issue - - - any maybe never will.
Posted By: SurferMike

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/08/2018 06:25 PM

Lucky you Icote! Linda and I missed this year also because of Irma but we'll be back this February. Not sure where you're flying in from, but here on Long Island it's freezing. Like Carol said, breath in deeply for that warm tropical air! Enjoy!

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/10/2018 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by SurferMike
Lucky you Icote! Linda and I missed this year also because of Irma but we'll be back this February. Not sure where you're flying in from, but here on Long Island it's freezing. Like Carol said, breath in deeply for that warm tropical air! Enjoy!

I have now been here for two full days. We went into Phillipsburg today and there is no smell of smoke. WE are thoroughly enjoying this beautiful island.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: I can't wait to return. two more days - 12/10/2018 09:15 PM

Good the hear that.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline