TravelTalkOnline

TSA, Pre check-Global Entry

Posted By: JoeC047

TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 02:05 AM

Does any one know the difference ?
Posted By: Fletch

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 02:14 AM

Global Entry is a program which allows participants a “fast track” through Immigration and Customs when returning to the US from a foreign country. Global Entry also gives participants access to TSA Pre-check(see below).

TSA Pre-check is a program that allows participants flying on participating airlines to use a special line that expedites clearing the TSA “security” checkpoints at most, but not all, US airports.

To clarify, if you enroll in Global Entry you’ll automatically get TSA Pre-check. If you enroll only in TSA Pre-check you DO NOT automatically get Global Entry.

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 02:36 AM

But pre check is not a guarantee that you'll always get it.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
But pre check is not a guarantee that you'll always get it.

That’s right, even if you are enrolled in Pre-check or have by virtue of enrollment in Global Entry there is no guarantee you’ll have Pre-check for any given flight.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 11:34 AM

Global Entry is terrific,and only costs an additional $20 over TSA Pre Check, however, you must schedule an appointment and sometimes they are 6 months out.
Posted By: chazo

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 03:26 PM

We had no problem getting a Global Entry appointment within a few weeks of when we applied. It was at the Detroit Airport, so it may vary by airports. Just recognize that they look up everything! If you had some youthful indiscretion, it doesn't matter if it was 30 or 40 years ago, be prepared with documentation of the disposition of the case.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by chazo
We had no problem getting a Global Entry appointment within a few weeks of when we applied. It was at the Detroit Airport, so it may vary by airports. Just recognize that they look up everything! If you had some youthful indiscretion, it doesn't matter if it was 30 or 40 years ago, be prepared with documentation of the disposition of the case.

As it should be.
Posted By: murphycpcu

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 04:05 PM

Global Entry is fantastic. If you travel light you get though customs in less than two minutes and that is not an exaggeration. Eye scan and about 5 questions so if you don't have to wait for checked luggage it is worth every penny.

We also have used it in other countries. We entered New Zealand using Global entry. I only wish they had it in Prague. After 14 hours of traveling the slow and intimidating customs there about ruined our trip.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 04:08 PM

Mine has no eye scan. Just fingerprint and picture.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 04:47 PM

Thank everyone for the info. I went online to renew my GE and was given an appointment 3 days later. To my suprise, after walking the entire terminal C at newark looking for TSA. I was told I could only renew Pre Check for $85. When the shutdown is over, for another $100. I could apply for GE. Wasted 3 hours, I can never get back. No I didn't get sucked in to renew Pre Check. I will wait for the government to resolve the shutdown, or until I turn 75 years old. Which ever comes first!

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 04:51 PM

How could you be given a GE interview appointment without appliying for it and clearing for the interview? Makes no sense.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 04:51 PM

Wow, that sucks!! Hope that situation gets resolved soon!!

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 05:05 PM

Scubaman:

That's why I made the first post. I applied for GE, but was given an appointment for Pre Check. It almost seemed like a scam to get an additional $85. The office was so hard to find and was about the size of my closet, maned by one person. I think it is a private company, contracted to do this.
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 05:06 PM

I’m with scubaman on this one, makes no sense. Even before you go to the airport or where ever the interview is, the appointment is already set up. If they don’t have the personal, why setup the appointment. Even during the shut down, TSA is constantly updating their website (adding and subtracting things, times and locations).

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JoeC047
Scubaman:

That's why I made the first post. I applied for GE, but was given an appointment for Pre Check. It almost seemed like a scam to get an additional $85. The office was so hard to find and was about the size of my closet, maned by one person. I think it is a private company, contracted to do this.

We're you notified you could make an app for GE after you paid the 100 to pass the GE backround check? Without doing that what your saying doesn't make much sense.
Posted By: xraylady

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 06:34 PM

My husband and I went to Newark Airport for our interview for Global Entry. The office in Newark is manned by TSA personnel. Process was fairly straight forward and had our Global Entry membership approved within a day or two of the interviewers.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 06:59 PM

Xraylady:

was it during the shutdown? They told me that office was closed.
Posted By: wbsander

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 08:31 PM

I had a GE appointment yesterday in Philadelphia, and a couple of days prior a "notification" was posted on my dashboard on the website, showing my appointment had been cancelled. Some people had posted various places that they got an email, I did not. Made another appointment in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 08:45 PM

I would have said I will wait until I can get a GE interview...
Posted By: sxmBoston

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/23/2019 09:53 PM

We have had Global Entry for years and love it. On our most recent return, we tried Mobile Passport and it worked nearly as well Global Entry.
Posted By: MileHighSkip

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/24/2019 03:06 AM

A quick post script... Some credit cards offer the benefit of paying for (or reimbursing) the cost of Global Entry once every 4-5 years. I think a Global Entry is a 5 year rotation. So check your credit card program before you sign up or renew.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/24/2019 04:14 AM

Actually can be 5yrs 11months depending on birth date and when approved.
Posted By: xraylady

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/24/2019 06:18 PM

JoeC047

No it was prior to shutdown.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/27/2019 02:10 AM

Looks like the shutdown did not affect GE renewals as I applied for mine during the shutdown and received my new card in the mail yesterday. Hope that solves the debate.
Posted By: Susieville

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/27/2019 02:36 PM

With Global Entry do you have to use your cellphone at the airport? I returned to Ft. Lauderdale last night using Mobile Entry and couldn't get a signal on my phone. Luckily I had a great tsa person who signed into my phone with an internal airport password and final approval was on my phone. Would rather not count on my phone.

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/27/2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Susieville
With Global Entry do you have to use your cellphone at the airport? I returned to Ft. Lauderdale last night using Mobile Entry and couldn't get a signal on my phone. Luckily I had a great tsa person who signed into my phone with an internal airport password and final approval was on my phone. Would rather not count on my phone.

Global Entry DOES NOT require a cell phone. You simply use the special GE Kiosks to scan your passport & fingerprints, answer a few questions verifying your arriving flight info and whether you have anything to declare then you are on your way. All takes less than a minute or so.
Posted By: Bill_S

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/27/2019 03:51 PM

We joined Global Entry around three years ago, before we went on a group trip to Tuscany set up through our Chamber of Commerce. It was a wonderful trip and GE was just as wonderful.

For overseas travel we usually fly in and out of IAD. Before Global Entry it usually took at least one or two hours (or more) to wind our way through Immigration, baggage claim and customs. With GE we just stopped at one of the dozens of electronic kiosks, answered a few yes/no questions, and had our fingerprints scanned to get the long paper tapes printed with our info.

On that trip it was only 23 minutes from the time we stepped off the aircraft until we were driving out of the parking garage...and 10 of those minutes were spent waiting for our luggage to come off the carousel. Global Entry is great!
Posted By: sumbeach

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/27/2019 09:09 PM

You guys are right, no guarantees. Last week coming to SXM my wife got precheck and I didn't. We both have GE.
Posted By: Susieville

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/28/2019 02:32 PM

Thanks so much. Looks like I'll have to set up my appointment.
Posted By: Kathleen

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/28/2019 05:44 PM

Hey Dan,

Check your registration on the airline website. Occasionally, your GE number may have gotten left off of your reservation. That happened to us on an AirFrance flight a few months ago. We just checked in with the AF agent and they added our number to the reservation, reprinted our boarding pass and shazam, both of us had precheck again.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: TSA, Pre check-Global Entry - 01/28/2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kathleen
Hey Dan,

Check your registration on the airline website. Occasionally, your GE number may have gotten left off of your reservation. That happened to us on an AirFrance flight a few months ago. We just checked in with the AF agent and they added our number to the reservation, reprinted our boarding pass and shazam, both of us had precheck again.

Exactly.....I can understand some getting precheck that do not have GE but if you have GE precheck is part of the deal. I've caught many bookings with missing trusted traveler numbers and had to add them (again)....in six years we have never not had precheck when the data was correct.

For some reason Delta never remembers my wife's number even though it is saved in the profile
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline