TravelTalkOnline

Orient Bay Lookout

Posted By: MandK

Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 07:23 PM

Has anyone ever heard of something called 'Orient Bay Lookout'? We are staying in Mont Vernon next week and some of our friends are coming to the island via a cruise ship. They will be going on an excursion one day that includes a number of things, but the confusing thing was for them to end their tour with 'spectacular views from Orient Bay Lookout.' Has anyone heard of Orient Bay Lookout? Thanks!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 08:06 PM

They are probably talking about Paradise View, which had a restaurant and some small shops up there. As far as I know, neither the restaurant nor the shops are open, as they were destroyed by Irma, but the view is lovely from there. That definitely used to be a stop on the cruise line tours. Don't know about since Irma.
Posted By: MandK

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 08:18 PM

Thanks Carol! I was kind of thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure if there was something officially called Orient bay Lookout.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MandK
Thanks Carol! I was kind of thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure if there was something officially called Orient bay Lookout.

Probably called that to make it appealing and easier to sell the tour.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 09:01 PM

Yup..rode by there last week and it looked very closed....
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 09:19 PM

Never heard it called Orient Bay Lookout ... just Paradise View. Maybe they are referring to the lookout just north of Oyster Pond called Rotary Lookout Point. Some great views from here. There's this little wooden platform that you climb up to snap photos from and take in the view. It's located just off Rue de Coralita, I believe.

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 09:21 PM

But that's not Orient Bay..
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 10:20 PM

I posted about it on another link SXM WITH 12 yr old. If you search

I wrote directions from Philipsburg

Go to end of Front Street turn left (right goes to cruise ship dock). Follow signs Captain Oliver's and Oyster Pond. At Oyster Pond (marina at right, Pizza place on left) go down hill bear right. at this turn in road is L'Oasis restaurant (formally Le Frigaate). Follow road BZH crepeire on left (great food) A little further about 2 miles is an area overlooking shales, Le Galion beach, St Barts, parasailers. Pull anywhere off road. Can wade out in shallow water to little sand bars.

There used to be a platform to climb up for better view but I'm not sure it survived hurricane. Bring a camera!

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/01/2019 10:21 PM

OH OH sorry after pass pizza place end of road turn LEFT by L'Oasis not right.
Posted By: madisoncty

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 02:35 AM

Followed a cruise ship bus last week that did turn into where Paradise View was

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 01:06 PM

OK, so there's probably your answer!
Posted By: OllieEh

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 02:41 PM

A short clip of the view from Paradise View restaurant in July 2017 can be seen HERE
Posted By: pat

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SammyM
Never heard it called Orient Bay Lookout ... just Paradise View. Maybe they are referring to the lookout just north of Oyster Pond called Rotary Lookout Point. Some great views from here. There's this little wooden platform that you climb up to snap photos from and take in the view. It's located just off Rue de Coralita, I believe.

Not sure but I think we’re talking about two different locations. The views from what was Paradise View were absolutely breath-taking but that was definitely called Paradise View, as I believe the restaurant was also.

I was thinking of the same spot Sammy mentioned on the ocean side of the road. Plenty of room to pull your car off and take in the views but I doubt the ‘platform’ survived the latest hurricane. It was sort of ramshackle the last time we stopped there, perhaps 9 or 10 years ago. We were there one time, again many years ago, and actually waded in the water out to the furthest sandbar and couldn’t help but wonder why so many smashed conch shells ruffled the waters there. A few days later someone from the island said the people who ‘fished’ for conch used to clean the conch there and turned the shells back to the ocean. It sounded like a reasonable explanation at the time but I can’t swear to its veracity.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 04:22 PM

It’s paradise view for sure........however, almost daily an ATV cruise ship tour group stops at an elevated (few feet) area by the Perch for a drink and look at the beach. That’s certainly an Orient Beach Lookout.

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by pat
Originally Posted by SammyM

I was thinking of the same spot Sammy mentioned on the ocean side of the road. Plenty of room to pull your car off and take in the views but I doubt the ‘platform’ survived the latest hurricane. It was sort of ramshackle the last time we stopped there, perhaps 9 or 10 years ago. We were there one time, again many years ago, and actually waded in the water out to the furthest sandbar and couldn’t help but wonder why so many smashed conch shells ruffled the waters there. A few days later someone from the island said the people who ‘fished’ for conch used to clean the conch there and turned the shells back to the ocean. It sounded like a reasonable explanation at the time but I can’t swear to its veracity.

That's the place I posted directions to from Phillipsburg. Since I didn't know where anyone would eb coming from I thought most people know P'Burg. RO
Posted By: dntrppr35f

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 05:33 PM

We need an Orient Beach Web Cam. I am cold and can’t warm up.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Orient Bay Lookout - 02/02/2019 05:39 PM

I ditto that, but only for the memories, I'm not cold her in God's waiting room.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline