TravelTalkOnline

Ocean Point at Maho

Posted By: KGB

Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 02:40 AM

We just went through the Maho area and decided to go check out the construction. Here is what we’ve seen: Sonesta Maho is nowhere near the opening, it looks like the workers are there 24 hours, all Chinese. But the Ocean Point has been rebuilt and is open. They did a pretty good job there, the place looks beautiful ! They even have a bistro bar on top of the building were guests rooms are and there was a live music two men band playing tonight. It was very cosy and the singer was pretty good!
The grounds are very nicely done, with artificial beach (pool) with a great view. There is a restaurant that was opened and with quite a few people dining inside, it was also very well decorated and overhanging the ocean, beautiful settings and view.
We went there at around 9:30pm, it was dark so we couldn’t see much of the details but what we were able to see did impress us.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 11:04 AM

Appreciate the update.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 02:07 PM

I could be wrong, often am, but I thought that the Sonesta Maho was scheduled to reopen the end of this month??
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 02:27 PM

No, your right. It is supposed to reopen on February 27th. It was originally supposed to reopen on February 1st, but they announced back in January that it had been delayed till the 27th.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 02:49 PM

Only the first 4 floors. They just might make it. But can't imagine staying there, it's a huge construction zone with scaffolding everywhere.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 06:09 PM

The scaffolding along the front of the building was removed in 3 hours-amazing what 300 workers can accomplish. We watched the process from 3 Amigos and were impressed by the yellow helmet guys.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 09:29 PM

[quote=Carol_Hill]I could be wrong, often am, ...../quote]

Carol you thought you were wrong once and you were right. (Joke)
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 09:57 PM

RonDon--grin
Posted By: KGB

Re: Ocean Point at Maho - 02/16/2019 10:28 PM

As I mentioned, the work is going on 24 hours. Still I don’t think they will meet the deadline for the opening by the end of February. It looks like only half is completed. Even the lobby is still far from finished.
But again, what do I know? Like somebody mention above, what can’t be done by 3000 workers?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline