TravelTalkOnline

Calmos question

Posted By: doctorj

Calmos question - 02/23/2019 03:55 PM

Sorry if it is posted somewhere but wondering on the progress of Calmos Cafe.
Counting the days to leave the frozen tundra and return again in May.
carib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Calmos question - 02/23/2019 06:53 PM

I don’t think they have done anything with it. There was a thread a couple of month back that had stated no work being done. The trip report up the page from today had the folks staying in Grand Case and they never mentioned Calamo’s. Enjoy your stay. Wishing we were there racing beach balls with ya.
Posted By: PnPinNC

Re: Calmos question - 02/23/2019 09:06 PM

12 sleeps for us and we are on our way.... gonna miss you guys - again!!!
Last I heard they were going to rebuild, but were starting in March... will see what we can find out in two weeks.
Posted By: kbd

Re: Calmos question - 02/24/2019 12:55 AM

We are on the island now, walked past it Tuesday night and Calmos has not been touched since Irma. Looks like they might as well tear it down and start over...
Posted By: dannan

Re: Calmos question - 02/24/2019 09:41 PM

Wow, so I’ll get the same kind of service I got the last time I was there.
Posted By: doctorj

Re: Calmos question - 02/25/2019 03:25 AM

Thanks all.
Calmos was certainly one of our favorites. Alex always treated us very well. PnP sorry to miss you again. Have a blast
Travelhat,
Beach balls on the loose. Heard there may be some rum shots.

caib cheers,
doctorj
Posted By: cacapasa

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 09:08 AM

We just returned from three glorious weeks on the island last week. Donna Paviani, of Piazza Pascal fame, told us that Calmos plans to move to Orient Village and take over the spot once occupied by Thai Chi. Of course, the beachside charm and sunsets will be lost, but they won't have to put up with all the new seaside building codes.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 01:01 PM

Well, that's sad, if true. It will be just another place then. What made Calmos was the sunsets on the beach.
Posted By: obgirl01

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 01:06 PM

I totally agree Carol....and the sand in the toes!
Posted By: pat

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Well, that's sad, if true. It will be just another place then. What made Calmos was the sunsets on the beach.

Originally Posted by obgirl01
I totally agree Carol....and the sand in the toes!

I totally agree with both sentiments. They might maintain the name but it was the setting and the comraderie of the folks in this setting that made the place so very special to many of us.

I get the reason for the change of location but doubt it could possibly be the same vibe there.... maybe as good but totally different I suspect.

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 01:49 PM

pat--honestly, the food wasn't that memorable, to me, not at all. It was the setting..
Posted By: pat

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 01:55 PM

Agree completely!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
pat--honestly, the food wasn't that memorable, to me, not at all. It was the setting..

Totally agree.
Posted By: murphycpcu

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 02:53 PM

My wife and I went to Calmos the very first night on the island. We were staying at Mt. Vernon and drove over.

We were seated in very low beach chairs and it was dark with some small fires around us. The waiter served us on his knees and my wife about melted. We ate a delicious plate of salad and seafood as the anchored boats rolled back and forth in the moonlight. Truly unforgettable and it made it our go to place after dinner almost every visit. It had a vibe like no other place, Sad to hear it will never be the same.
Posted By: WayneB

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 04:49 PM

I agree Carol. Food was ok, but the setting is what made Calmos great. Sitting with wine in hand, waiting for the sun to set.
Posted By: bran

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 05:56 PM

I remember three years ago for some reason being in that area quite early in the morning, say 9am and the only person there was the owner..so we went on the beach which we virtually had to ourselves for at least 3 hours. We had BBC's and Bushwackers and I got rather drunk. The owner occasionally sat with us and discussed the problems of the Island and how difficult it was to keep or rather find good staff.
Glorious. Yes, had food once there but never again...Location superb and great vibes. Going to be missed.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 07:11 PM

I am sure another business will take over that location as it has a lot to offer. Time will tell I guess as there has been lots of changes all over the island since Irma.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 09:07 PM

Only if they can work with the Government which seems to be quite difficult.

Re: Calmos question - 03/12/2019 09:24 PM

Apparently it is very difficult to work with the government, especially there in Grand Case. Otherwise, there would be a LOT more restaurants open on the water side. It is a d*mn shame, what the government is doing there, or NOT doing..
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Calmos question - 03/13/2019 01:25 AM

I'm not sure how much blame falls just on the authorities. When we were there last May, I mentioned to Steve Wright, the GM at GCBC, similar sentiments about the governmental interference in rebuilding, and he cautioned me that there are 2 sides to every story. I didn't press him on this, but he said that they submitted rebuilding plans exactly as before--no deviations--and didn't have too many issues. Sunset restaurant is also on the water and open for business. Just food for thought.

Re: Calmos question - 03/13/2019 01:54 AM

I don't know what the whole story is, but it is total BS to me, that there are no more restaurants open on the water side. GCBC restaurant is affiliated with a hotel, so that may make some difference there, but there has to be something going on, as you can't tell me that almost every restaurant on the water can't reopen, as of now.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Calmos question - 03/13/2019 02:21 AM

Agree. Rainbow has reopened on the water as well.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline