TravelTalkOnline

Another Drowning

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 09:30 AM

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE
Posted By: pat

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 12:34 PM

So very sad! I think I’ve read about more SXM drownings in the past month than I have in years.

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 12:42 PM

Yep. Le Galion and Kim Sha are both very calm beaches and that is where the last two occured.
Posted By: the captain

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 12:49 PM

I agree. Both are too calm. Is it possible that people have become too trusting of the waves? Never turn your back on the water.

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 12:53 PM

The day of the drowning on Kim Sha, there were no waves. I had two friends on the beach while this was happening. Calm as glass. I arrived back at the room prior to paramedics arriving on the beach, there were no waves at all and Kim Sha is very shallow. In 3 trips to Mullet Bay, there were virtually no waves to minimal waves, overall it was very calm waters most of the days.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 01:13 PM

Agreed, Pat. It really makes one think. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one. I have always tried to be very careful at Mullet when there are big waves, and also at Beachside, but these drownings at calm spots are a real wake up call. Possibly the one at Kim Sha was some kind of a heart attack or something, but the one at Le Gallion was a young child. The one at Nettle Bay, they are thinking is suspicious, I guess. Be careful out there, people!
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 02:02 PM

Many of the beaches that appear calm with minimal wave action can be deceiving. One thing I noticed on Mullet when swimming there recently was now-and-then a rouge wave would roll-in that was stronger and hit with more force than the reoccurring waves that day. By no means a tidal wave, but just a stronger wave that can knock someone off their feet if they're not prepared. I tried to see if there was a pattern to this, but couldn't detect one. With Le Gallion I'm really shocked because that beach is so calm and safe for children. One other thing that I sometimes notice with families visiting the beaches is that parents can become distracted and momentarily lose touch with their little ones in the water. I hope this isn't what happened here this past weekend. When my three boys were young my wife and/or I never took our eyes off them in the water whether on vacation or at our local beaches. This news is so tragic, but I suppose with the large numbers of visitors coming back to SXM things like this will unfortunately happen on beaches without lifeguards.

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 02:13 PM

Yes, Mullet can be like that and there is usually some undertow. While it was calm the days we were there, you would get 2-3 rollers that if you were not aware of them, you could get knocked down. Kim Sha and Le Galion are different stories though.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 02:26 PM

Tragic for the families.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 05:28 PM

This is so sad--I can't imagine what the families are going through.
I use to watch the parents, with the little ones near the water, and just wanted to warn them.
Many know nothing about how quickly it changes there.

Mullet is very deceiving. We usually try to get out beyond the waves breaking , where it is calmer.
I was always scared doing this, since I"d been pulled under more than one time.

I never gave up and tried to be brave, but one time we encountered 3 huge rouge waves way out beyond
the waves that we managed to pass... All 3 managed to take me under and scare the S**t out of me!!!!

I definitely will not go in on a rough day.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 10:57 PM

The drowning at Le Galion was a teenager. I know it is rare, but children can have heart attacks too. I wonder if they do any autopsies when people drown on the island? Perhaps that would answer a few questions concerning reason for death. In the past there have not been many drownings at these calm beaches. Very sad for all families concerned.

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 11:25 PM

It was mentioned that if there is no consideration of foul play, autopsies are not performed in the case of a drowning.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Another Drowning - 03/25/2019 11:27 PM

OK Thanks. Sorry I guess I missed that. It is unfortunate that is the case on the island.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Another Drowning - 03/26/2019 01:12 PM

More info LINK
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline