TravelTalkOnline

C & I in Atlanta

Posted By: Carol_Hill

C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 05:43 PM

Friends who came back from SXM recently said that the lines were horrendous, and that they were NOT using the kiosks. We do not have Global Entry. They have mobile passport there in Atlanta, is that correct?
Posted By: Bahston

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 06:10 PM

Atlanta is on the list. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 06:21 PM

OK, thanks. Anyone else been through Hotlanta recently??
Posted By: SammyM

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 07:05 PM

Yes ... they definitely have mobile passport control there. Went thru fairly quickly about three weeks ago. IMO Atlanta is far superior to Miami and JFK. Be aware that sometimes the mobile passport system goes down at these airports, and that can back things up a bit. One thing I observed there was an impressive number of customs employees working the booths on a Sunday night. That kept things moving quite well.

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 07:11 PM

Thanks. Friends came through on a Friday night recently without either GE or mobile passport and they reported HUGE lines..
Posted By: PnPinNC

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 07:51 PM

Yes, they do. Have used it several times there, and have always gotten through very fast with it. I was reluctant to go through Atl the first time, but now would choose it.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 08:52 PM

I had a problem in that my phone said I had a signal but what I failed to know at the time is that I needed to sign in to the ATL wifi separately. I was already on the customs line when I realized my error so it wou;n'y have made a difference at that point. If I had realized that as I was walking from the plane to customs I would have saved about 30 minutes because the mobile passport line was about 6 people total.
Posted By: kim

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 09:21 PM

We found what they don’t have is TSA pre-check. Hopefully that has changed. Getting through customs and immigration was fine using Mobile Passport. But then very very long lines to be “re-screened”.
Posted By: MGA

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/01/2019 09:29 PM

I returned from SXM in February on a Sunday night. The Mobile Passport line was long. It took about a half an hour. Only one window was open for mobile passport. It has always been (for me anyway) a lot quicker in Miami.

At least I didn't have to wait for my suitcase. It was waiting for me,.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/02/2019 12:20 PM

When we went through ATL we had to get our suitcases before going to the customs counters. After exiting the plane we went down the escalator and were directed to the appropriate carousel for our bags which we then walked past a few CBP agents to another area to redeposit them on another carousel for the connecting flight. I am assuming that the walk with the bags is the initial screening for possible further/secondary inspection. Overall it wasn't that bad, nothing compared to what I remember from my limo driving days at the international arrivals building at JFK about 40 years ago
Posted By: jborosara

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/02/2019 05:38 PM

the last time we came through Hotlanta mobile passport was not working... huge lines - very few agents - many, many, many were missing flights - we made ours but I ALWAYS do a minimum of four hour layover (this time it was five - six other folks in tow, one of whom was my 85 year old mom who is very spry for her age, but still 85) - we waited for bags for about 20 mins - over an hour in the customs line (hubby and I have GE, but no one else did so we stayed together) - breezed through security as half of us had TSA pre-check so they let us all stay together.

Miami is worse by far - Charlotte is the easiest we use... but I hear it is getting worse these days too

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/02/2019 05:42 PM

OK, I think we have about 4 hours in Atlanta. There was another flight leaving earlier than the one we are on, but it was just UNDER two hours connection time, and we didn't want to risk it.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/02/2019 05:57 PM

Four hours? Carol you'll have a ton of time so you can even relax and get a nice meal in the airport. We had just over two hours and made it through with flying colors. Even had time to grab a quick bite at Wendy's before our return flight to Buffalo. But, I agree with you. If longer layover options are possible, and the prices are relatively the same, it's wise to have more time than less.

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/02/2019 06:03 PM

Oh, trust me I WANTED to book the earlier flight, which was virtually the same cost, but was afraid to. We won't get back to our house until roughly 2:30 AM based on this flight. The earlier flight, we would have gotten home around 12:30. On the whole, I'd rather get home at 12:30 than 2:30..
Posted By: jborosara

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/03/2019 01:34 PM

but I'd rather get home at all than miss a flight

sv

Re: C & I in Atlanta - 04/03/2019 01:48 PM

All righty, then! Just checked my reservations and Delta has changed our flight from Atlanta to MCO, and we now have (only) 3 hours in Atlanta. Should be enough time for C & I. I think they eliminated totally the later flight we were on, and made this one later. We should land at midnight now, which is better.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline