TravelTalkOnline

Anse Marcel, Day 8

Posted By: Wingman

Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 03:57 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how to insert pictures between paragraphs. I thought at least I'd let you know about yesterday and it's pictures from there. We went to Anse Marcel. It was a first for us. I can't believe how many years and times I've been coming to the island and have never ventured to Anse Marcel. Lots of encouragement from Pat and Terry(The Lurker) and could not have been more right. The place is beautiful for those of you that haven't been there. I was just amazed at it's beauty. It almost felt like being on a different island of it's own. The restaurant was fantastic, food and service. A lot of others from our group in October/November have been sending emails, that it has to be put on the list when we come down then. While the resort itself is still undergoing a major clean up and renovating from Irma, the restaurant, which opened in late December is in full bloom

This will have to do for now. Not sure why some of them are on there side. If I click on the pics on my desktop, they're right side up. Will do some more studying of pictures on here. Back to the beach......

Attached picture IMG_0709.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0711.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0710.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0714.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0715.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0723.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0735.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0736.JPG
Attached picture IMG_E0737.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0712.JPG
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 04:19 PM

Thanks for the pictures and report. On our list for May.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 04:26 PM

Wingman--thanks for the pictures! Please tell us what you had, as it looks positively yummy! Are those cabanas on the beach extra, versus eating in the restaurant itself?

With regard to the pictures, if they are taken with a phone and you take them in portrait mode, they will come out sideways here, unless you download them to your laptop and re-save them as something else. The GOOD news is that if you just upload the pictures directly to the bottom of the thread, like you did here, people can rotate the pictures to see them, without any problem.
Posted By: bran

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 05:51 PM

what was the name of the restaurant pls?
Posted By: pat

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 06:35 PM

Not Michael but the only functioning restaurant on this beach is the Anse Marcel Beach Resort (or AMBClub or AMBRestaurant) and I’m sorry I’m not more precise. I know where it is, what it is and how great it is but I just don’t know the name, but don’t despair - it’s the only restaurant as far as I know and the road dead ends in its parking lot.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 06:37 PM

I was sure you would love this place and am so glad you did. It's absolutely my favorite place on the island. Even though I like Divi, I generally make 3-5 trips to Anse Marcel during my stay, and I can't wait until June. Thanks so much for the gorgeous pictures - looks as lovely as it did pre-Irma.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 06:48 PM

Also, Bran,

It tends to be quite pricey if you’re a family or one person footing the bill for the day. The last time we went as a group there were six of us an my DH was footing the bill, his choice and he knew the pricing. That was six lounges, six for drinks and lunches and six for bottles of wine on the beach. My DH suffered heart palpitations all the way back to the hotel, but he survived and is looking forward to returning next trip.

With regard to the cabana lunches, a day or two before our Anse Marcel day we made a reservation for six waterside lounges with lunch at a specified time and that’s where they seated us. The beach attendant came to get us and turned us over to the dining room staff - the food was lovely, the drinks were stiff. And the service was exquisite. We had been advised to have our credit card charged in EU and our bank gave us the correct conversion (as opposed to the restaurants conversion rate) with no special fees for foreign currency conversion. The restaurant was definitely NOT giving dollar to Euro exchange but it was still worth every single cent spent.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 07:31 PM

Pat--Thanks. So, if John scanned the bill after he recovered from his heart attack, he didn't see any extra charge for the cabana?

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 07:47 PM

Trouble is, he never looked for an extra charge. We just thought it was because there were a bunch of us and we had made a reservation for lunch. And he was fine with the bill and knew going in it would be a beaut. It was a lovely day and the memories are well worth the price. And others offered to kick in but it was Daddy’s treat to his ladies.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 08:06 PM

OK, thanks. I just wonder whether one would get the same treatment with only two people.. I mean, as being able to get that cabana without even asking for it, or being charged extra.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 08:07 PM

No wonder the poor guy has to continue to work!
Posted By: fabila

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 08:46 PM

Carol, Mike had a chicken caesar salad and they split a cheese plate.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 09:04 PM

"Are those cabanas on the beach extra, versus eating in the restaurant itself? "
I would like to know too.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 09:53 PM

Been there a few times and always ate in the restaurant...... I would expect an up charge for dining in a private cabana. The restaurants not too shabby in it's own right.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 09:57 PM

I might expect an up-charge also. Depends on how much it is...

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 09:57 PM

Louise--thanks.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 10:00 PM

As the old saying goes.........If you have to ask.......... you probably can't afford it............ cool
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Wingman--thanks for the pictures! Please tell us what you had, as it looks positively yummy! Are those cabanas on the beach extra, versus eating in the restaurant itself?

With regard to the pictures, if they are taken with a phone and you take them in portrait mode, they will come out sideways here, unless you download them to your laptop and re-save them as something else. The GOOD news is that if you just upload the pictures directly to the bottom of the thread, like you did here, people can rotate the pictures to see them, without any problem.

Carol, as Louise said, we shared a cheese plate. The shape of the plate was nothing like I've ever seen before. It was 4 different cheeses, along with some sort of fruit chutney with raisins and almonds. They also served a basket of fresh cut baguette. For our main meal, we each had a grilled chicken caesar salad. It was so good. My friend Bill had the chocolate dessert. I tried a couple of pieces and was also out of this world.

I'm not sure what the cabana's cost on the restaurant. They had more smaller ones on the beach like the ones that used to be at Dreams. Not sure of the cost there either, if any. My assumption would be they charge, only because of the type of place it was. They were serving drinks on the beach, but I did not see food going down there, but that doesn't mean that don't. I just didn't notice any food going out there.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/03/2019 11:49 PM

Wingman--thanks for the info.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 12:02 AM

At least pre-Irma, they definitely served food on the beach. I have yet to eat in the restaurant.
Posted By: LINNY

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 12:58 AM

We are usually 4 people and have never had to pay extra for the cabana in the restaurant
Posted By: VGerfo

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 01:07 AM

I don’t think there is a name. It is just Anse Marcel Beach Club and it has one restaurant.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by SXMBND
As the old saying goes.........If you have to ask.......... you probably can't afford it............ cool

Right on !!!
Posted By: Richie

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 01:17 PM

Where is this beach exactly is it before rainbow cafe just before entering Grand Case coming from Marigol

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 01:26 PM

Linny--thanks. I guess if we call to make a reservation, we will ask at that time.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 02:37 PM

It's way past Grand Case.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 02:56 PM

HI Mike I had the same issue with the photos---don't know why or if I ever figured out
how to fix it smashpc

How is everyone at BSV doing?
Please tell them we miss them.

You would have been our next door neighbor this visit--at least for a few days.
Hi to Billy. smile

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Richie
Where is this beach exactly is it before rainbow cafe just before entering Grand Case coming from Marigol

If you’re asking where Anse Marcel is you’re way off.

Anse Marcel is on the way to the Pinel Island ferry but if you get to the ferry parking lot you’ve gone too far so turn around and head back - it will be the hard right up the steep hill and keep going. You will eventually see a sign for the Beach Club. When you start coming down again at what looks like it might be or might have been a guardhouse for RIU, turn left and keep going. This road will eventually bring you into the Anse Marcel Beach Club parking lot.

The main road into the club is steep, very narrow and very curvy and lots of those curves are blind. Please, even if you’re tempted, DONT stop on the road to take a photo. We almost hit someone who stopped to do just that on one of our first trips. It sounds daunting and it is to a degree, but once you’re there you’ll be so glad you made the trip from wherever you’re staying.
Posted By: bran

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by pat
Originally Posted by Richie

If you’re asking where Anse Marcel is you’re way off.

Anse Marcel is on the way to the Pinel Island ferry but if you get to the ferry parking lot you’ve gone too far so turn around and head back - it will be the hard right up the steep hill and keep going. You will eventually see a sign for the Beach Club. When you start coming down again at what looks like it might be or might have been a guardhouse for RIU, turn left and keep going. This road will eventually bring you into the Anse Marcel Beach Club parking lot.

The main road into the club is steep, very narrow and very curvy and lots of those curves are blind. Please, even if you’re tempted, DONT stop on the road to take a photo. We almost hit someone who stopped to do just that on one of our first trips. It sounds daunting and it is to a degree, but once you’re there you’ll be so glad you made the trip from wherever you’re staying.

About three years ago perhaps 4, went to this place you describe and thought the whole area was abandoned and looked in a state of disrepair. Huge parking area and on the right were these buildings with a marina of sorts but no stores were open. Then walked over to this hotel to see if we could get breakfast and see what the beach looked like and they wouldn't let us in. Had some kind of delegation going on and with that were very disappointed and went back to Marigot. So the experience put us off ever going again..might though revisit.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/04/2019 05:40 PM

I could be wrong but i’m thinking you didn’t go far enough after you turned left and actually reach the Anse Marcel Beach Club. You might have been at the Radisson or RIU property or those buildings (residences perhaps, not sure?) in between the two. Once you get into the immediate area it can be a bit tricky on your first visit. The very first time we went we didn’t go far enough and parked and walked the rest of the way in carrying all our beach stuff. Big mistake but we learned the hard way. I’m not much of a walker to begin with so you can probably imagine the whining that went on....... I mean, how good could any beach be, really?! It was better than I could ever have imagined and it doesn’t seem like they’ve lowered their standards one iota because of that b itch Irma’s devastation.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/05/2019 09:55 AM

Your in luck.....from Anse Marcel Beach :

Good Morning,
Is there an extra charge for dining in one of your beautiful cabanas? Thank you.
THU 9:30 PM

Anse Marcel Beach
Hello
The restaurant is closed for dinner !!
But for lunch cabanas are free for tables of 4 and more
But réserve in advance
Thanks

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/05/2019 01:18 PM

OK, thanks for getting the scoop! Unfortunately if we go, it will only be two of us, but at least we know.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/05/2019 02:44 PM

Great. Thanks for that information. We are a party of 4 so here we come.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/05/2019 09:05 PM

Just go and eat in the restaurant if there are only two of you......you won't regret it.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/05/2019 11:16 PM

We may do that, but those cabanas sure look great!

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/05/2019 11:35 PM

We'll join you to make a larger group if you're buying. LOL

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 12:38 AM

Sorry, but you will be gone before we arrive. smile

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 02:14 AM

I can always extend my stay. LOL
Posted By: AUCspouse

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 10:30 AM

We've eaten at the Anse Marcel Beach restaurant twice -- once pre-Irma, and one post-Irma -- and the food was fabulous, both times, with prices to match. That said, there were comments both times we came to the restaurant (even though I speak French) that this wasn't really a place for us: "Vous avez une reservation?" And I said, "Non, mais peut-etre vous avez une table pour deux?" ... not exactly, "Bienvenue."

Also -- "Plage Privee" signs to let you know that this beach isn't for you, and parking signs intended to discourage people from parking. In many ways, the restaurant does its best to discourage customers from (a) parking, (b) enjoying the beach, or (c) eating lunch.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 11:52 AM

Interesting and also sad.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 12:33 PM

I found just the opposite on all of my many visits.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 01:08 PM

Scubaman--you may certainly extend your stay, but it wouldn't matter. I still wouldn't be paying!! grin

Aimed at anyone who has eaten there, now the talk of prices is starting to scare me. Is AMBC significantly more than, say, Dreams was? (Setting aside the question of chairs, as I know they charge for chairs there, and Dreams did not.)

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 01:24 PM

Carol,

We’ve been there several times, usually just the two of us and a few times with a group. I would say the prices are comparable to what Dreams was but the difference being you must pay for the lounges - I think anout 20 Eu but could be wrong - other than that, not much difference. And while the fee for lounges upped the ante I think what made our bills crazy expensive were the bottles of wine served on the beach, considering there were a bunch of us. The times we went as a couple neither of us flinched upon presentation of the bill.

To me, the main difference was the setting itself. We enjoy the water and Dreams just wasn’t a swimmable beach, and the beach itself wasn’t that great. You couldn’t fault the food or service in either place.

And in honesty, perhaps ignorance is bliss and not speaking French May have been a blessing but we never experienced attitude on the part of any of the staff. We always made reservations after our first trip and always found the staff to be very pleasant. They asked upon arrival if we spoke Francais or Englais and from that point on they provided us a perfect day in every way.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/06/2019 01:34 PM

Pat--Ok, thanks much!
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/07/2019 06:51 AM

I would think, that if is off season on a slow day. They should let you dine in one of those cabana's. Maybe a lil grease on the palm wouldn't hurt. LOL!!!

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/07/2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SXMBND

Your in luck.....from Anse Marcel Beach :

Good Morning,
Is there an extra charge for dining in one of your beautiful cabanas? Thank you.
THU 9:30 PM

Anse Marcel Beach
Hello
The restaurant is closed for dinner !!
But for lunch cabanas are free for tables of 4 and more
But réserve in advance
Thanks

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/07/2019 12:21 PM

SXMBND--Thanks, yes, I already saw that, and responded, I think.

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/07/2019 12:24 PM

You did..........reposted for Color 1

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/07/2019 12:26 PM

Oh, sorry!!
Posted By: indi

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/07/2019 04:11 PM

We 'll have to get a group together in November for
a cabana lunch!
Posted By: VGerfo

Re: Anse Marcel, Day 8 - 04/07/2019 06:11 PM