TravelTalkOnline

Westjet sold to private company

Posted By: jeepers

Westjet sold to private company - 05/14/2019 11:01 PM

I wonder what this will mean to prices to SXM! A gentleman in Toronto whose company is Onex has purchased the airline for 5 billion Canadian dollars. Wow!
Posted By: LINNY

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/14/2019 11:32 PM

From what I understand, this is not a done deal. The shareholders vote on it in July.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/14/2019 11:55 PM

Please keep use posted . We have our two children there.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/15/2019 12:11 AM

According to Global News a deal has been signed.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/15/2019 01:22 AM

Maybe they'll be a positive outcome to this. Maybe WestJet will fly to the Caribbean and SXM more than just a few days per week (like they do now). Maybe daily flights will be offered. Would be wise to keep a close watch on pricing, however. I don't believe Air Canada flies directly to PJIA. WestJet has had this pretty much there way in the past.
Posted By: Toronto_Frank

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/15/2019 01:51 AM

The deal still has to be ratified by shareholders and meet regulatory requirements, etc. Air Canada does fly to SXM during high season, two days a week from Toronto, Air Transal and Sunwing also have flights during high season. Sunwing may also have weekly year round flights.
Posted By: jaxon60

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/15/2019 02:30 AM

As Toronto_Frank says, the deal isn't done yet.

per the CBC:
"The deal, announced on Monday, still needs to jump through several hurdles, including regulatory and shareholder approval."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-purchase-onex-expansion-headquarters-1.5135190
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/17/2019 11:21 PM

That is true. No deal yet but it looks like it will happen. I hope they have some bigger planes flying every day to SXM with direct flights from Ottawa like they did many years ago.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Westjet sold to private company - 05/18/2019 12:13 AM

Thanks for the update.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline