TravelTalkOnline

St Maarten named best cruise port

Posted By: Carol_Hill

St Maarten named best cruise port - 05/31/2019 04:43 PM

Daily Herald story
Posted By: SammyM

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 05/31/2019 08:40 PM

Absolutely concur on this. Been to just about all of them in the Caribbean and SXM is a standout. The availability of taxis and other types of transportation has always been outstanding here, and shopping is just a short walk into downtown Philipsburg. And, Great Bay Beach is just across from the port. Wish that some cruise lines would add additional ports-of-call in SXM, and even bring back the overnight stop that Celebrity cruise lines featured in the past. It allowed two full days on St. Maarten and served as a nice means for those afraid to fly to experience SXM.
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/01/2019 06:07 PM

We have to agree, it is our favorite too. Great to see The Herald giving SXM some props. Might generate enough interest for others who have never visited to give it a try.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 12:14 AM

They don't know what they are missing!!!!!!
Posted By: dolfer

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 11:58 AM

Good news economically for the island. I'm not sure if it isn't detrimental to the culture and social well being of the island.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 12:49 PM

...since a good part of social well being includes being able to feed your family, I disagree with your point.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by dolfer
I'm not sure if it isn't detrimental to the culture and social well being of the island.

I’m lost for an understanding of your statement. The island and its residents have an economy that is majorly based upon tourism. Won’t the additional revenue that is created by increased tourist traffic benefit the residents of the island?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by dolfer
Good news economically for the island. I'm not sure if it isn't detrimental to the culture and social well being of the island.

Please explain.
Posted By: Maranjo

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 01:44 PM

I see the residents eager to sell their wear/services on days that the ships are in. It helps to put food on the table. Almost 30 years ago I discovered the island via a cruise and go on to make countless land trips. All of this help to pour money into the economy. So, I fail to understand your statement. Please explain.
Posted By: dolfer

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 02:19 PM

Ok I'll try to explain. Carol of course is right. Jobs are VERY important. I live in a northern Michigan resort community that depends in very large part on the influx of money from outside the community in order to thrive. But that comes at a cost. In our community the cost is VERY high real estate prices and as a result there is very little low income housing and that also leads to higher priced consumer goods. It's not always the same in every tourist community but there is always some cost associated with depending on tourism as a primary source of income. Look at Venice, more locals are leaving every year, or Hawaii were locals in Maui have to have multiple jobs to pay for their 'slice of heaven'.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 02:25 PM

With st Maarten that is not true. They would be worse off without tourism dollars. Look what happened after Irma.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 03:00 PM

https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/sintmaarten/overview
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/04/2019 05:28 PM

Wow - GDP not expected to return to pre-Irma level until 2025?!
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/06/2019 02:27 AM

Aside from SXM being named best cruise port, Carnival and her sister ships, Princess Cruises have just been fined to pay $ 2 million for dumping garbage into the oceans. With all the problems with pollution in the world, this is unacceptable. They are continuously dumping and being fined and nothing is being done about it, And we are worried about straws? Big business, big money.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/06/2019 02:42 AM

The fine was 20 million dollars ($20,000,000.00)
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/06/2019 03:03 AM

WOW! That's a very hefty fine!
Posted By: SammyM

Re: St Maarten named best cruise port - 06/06/2019 03:21 AM

I could believe Carnival doing something like that, but the Love Boat? That's too bad and totally unacceptable. Been to SXM on the Regal Princess in the past and it always was the highlight of the cruise.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline