Posted By: ruralcarrier

Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 09:31 AM

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE
Posted By: kim

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 10:40 AM

Was hoping to have drinks st Driftwood in a few hours. frown

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 10:52 AM

Enjoy but be careful. Great to see you, Ken and Riley along with the parents. Thanks!

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Enjoy but be careful. Great to see you, Ken and Riley along with the parents. Thanks!

Was great to see you. Sorry about me being so frantic at first because of my “runaway” would have loved for you to have met “the girls”!!

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 11:13 AM

Totally understand the situation and glad it had a good outcome.
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 12:48 PM

Does anyone else think it is odd that due to the fact his daughter was there that they can't determine his identity? Am I missing something?
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 01:04 PM

This is a press release not a reporter from a news agency. They have not released the name of the victim but I would think the daughter has told police who her father is. I see a business in the background of the photo but it does not look like Sunset Beach Bar. Does anyone know where this photo was taken and what business is in the background?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 01:08 PM

It's Driftwood
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 01:12 PM

Well, that's scary, considering 11 PM isn't that late, for even old people like me...
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 01:33 PM

Driftwood has changed. A lot

Wendell

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 05:47 PM

The crowd at Sunset Beach Bar is good today... So I guess it is not effecting tourism in that area. http://sunsetsxm.com/plane-info/
I do hope an update on the shooting is in the media so we can better understand the incident.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 05:59 PM

Probably not many know about it unless they read the paper.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 06:02 PM

Driftwood looked like business as usual as well. ElZafiro is empty. So peaceful!!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 06:18 PM

Not many people with a big ship like Harmony Of The Sea in port. More boulders than people on the beach.
Posted By: badbenni

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 06:25 PM

The Driftwood is very nice and the people who work there are friendly and very attentive to the customers. The only change I have noticed there is they are busier as people like the food and drinks served there.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by SXMWendell
Driftwood has changed. A lot

Wendell

How?

I was there 3 times last week at all hours....even a late night pizza when we couldn't decide what else to do. No problems.

There's also no indication this had ANYTHING to do with Driftwood. That car is up on the roundabout in front of the Maho Market. Could have been ANYTHING. Lot's of people milling about that area at night.
Posted By: bethy2120

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 08:07 PM

Shooting victim was a Canadian tourist according to this updated article.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...X0wBu3mY5QxIvLLxOmW0DXVRlBZjXLKDj36MTggM

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 08:13 PM

Oh my..

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 08:19 PM

As has been stated MANY times on this forum, both by locals and visitors, you do NOT walk this area at night.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 09:25 PM

Oh no. frown
Posted By: pat

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/06/2019 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
As has been stated MANY times on this forum, both by locals and visitors, you do NOT walk this area at night.

And it’s been said by people who live close to the area and are probably far more aware of what goes on than the casual vacationer would be.

Let’s just cross our fingers and say a prayer for the victim’s full recovery..

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 12:04 AM

Agreed, Pat..

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 01:09 PM

More details link
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 01:13 PM

So much for tourism

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 01:16 PM

Very scary story, but it won't stop us from coming. Others?? I don't know, it probably will stop some people.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 01:23 PM

OMG, my husband walked that walk Saturday night at 10:30 to pickup pizza. frown
Posted By: bethy2120

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 01:58 PM

If I had never been to SXM before, something like this would probably influence my decision on whether or not to vacation there, just as I am sure many people are rethinking plans to visit the DR. We've been visiting SXM regularly since 2008 and my cautious nature has always had me on "alert" - this is definitely a sad reminder to keep that guard up.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 02:32 PM

This could have happened anywhere on the island. The criminal still on the loose could strike again day or night.
It could happen on an isolated beach, standing on the road or behind a wall. Prayers to the family and the victim of the horrible incident. The friendly island is not so friendly anymore.
Posted By: PreK176

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 03:09 PM

Where did you get pizza at that hour Beach Kitten? I have been hearing that Driftwood isn't open that late? Tortuga perhaps? Just curious. Sad situation.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by PreK176
Where did you get pizza at that hour Beach Kitten? I have been hearing that Driftwood isn't open that late? Tortuga perhaps? Just curious. Sad situation.

No, walked over to Driftwood. wink
It was Saturday night. I did call in the order first.
Posted By: Shelby2

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 03:38 PM

Just started making plans to return next March...missed the past two years due to Irma, then medical issues...now having serious second thoughts....this is just not good😠😥
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 07:33 PM

Leaving in 2 1/2 weeks and staying right across from where this incident occurred (for one month). That's not an area where I would expect this kind of thing to happen as there is generally a lot of foot traffic--even at 11:00 p.m. Very concerning and makes you realize this can happen anywhere. Scary!

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
Leaving in 2 1/2 weeks and staying right across from where this incident occurred (for one month). That's not an area where I would expect this kind of thing to happen as there is generally a lot of foot traffic--even at 11:00 p.m. Very concerning and makes you realize this can happen anywhere. Scary!

A lot of foot traffic would provide multiple choices/victims if one was looking to rob someone.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 08:20 PM

It also provides for the possibility of many more witnesses to the violent act. But I imagine many of these perpetrators are on drugs so they are not thinking clearly--nor do they care. Just looking for a target.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
It also provides for the possibility of many more witnesses to the violent act. But I imagine many of these perpetrators are on drugs so they are not thinking clearly--nor do they care. Just looking for a target.

100% correct. Multiple targets and rational thinking does not exist. You go where the easy pickings are and where people might be carrying $$ or jewelry.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/07/2019 08:40 PM

Witnesses are for after the fact. Someone is already shot.

Wendell

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/08/2019 01:31 AM

Asked around today, story I heard was daughter was the one who was the original target and dad jumped in and was shot in the head. Sad all around.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/08/2019 01:51 AM

That's what the updated Daily Herald story said.

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/08/2019 01:27 PM

I wonder if they were staying at home one of the 3 places in the area?

Re: Beacon Hill Shooting - 06/08/2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SXMWendell
Witnesses are for after the fact. Someone is already shot.

Wendell

Not necessarily. Witnesses can be a deterrent. But only if the assailants are rational--these crazies are obviously not rational.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline