TravelTalkOnline

Headed back after long absence

Posted By: BillDauterive

Headed back after long absence - 06/26/2019 08:10 PM

We are headed back to SXM later this year. We've visited the island about a half dozen times in the past. However, these visits were in the 1990's (we went to Dawn Beach and saw the post-Luis devastation of the timeshare resort.... it's a Westin now, I think). Also, there was no McDonalds (I think BK was there). And pre-Euro ....

Anyhow, here are our questions:
- I remember having trouble getting gas. I recall pulling into the station and the guy spotted us as tourists, jumped up, put gas in, and took my money... and overcharged me. Are all stations full-service? Or do I pump myself?

- Are US dollars still accepted at a fair exchange rate? At restaurants, bars, grocery, etc?

- When departing the island, will we clear customs/immigration on the island, or at my arrival airport?

That's all for now. More to come later. ... Thanks in advance
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/26/2019 08:16 PM

I pumped my own gas this last May
Us dollars were at the current exchange rates on Dutch side. Not so much on French side
Clear customs at first US entry point
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/26/2019 08:18 PM

Regarding gas, it is priced in guilders & litres so you have to do the conversion. The price on the pump is roughly double what you will pay in USD. There may be some self service but there is usually an attendant to pump the gas and I do not know of any price difference. 18.40 NAF is roughly $10USD.

USD are accepted everywhere and without much exchange problem on the Dutch side. On the French side they often set their own exchange rate with the euro and it is not always the going or current published rate.

When departing you will go through 2-3 security checks but you clear C/I at your first port of US entry.

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/26/2019 10:57 PM

Thanks for the info....

Here's another question:
If I rent a car in St Maarten, how do I get liability insurance? My Visa card offers coverage for the vehicle that I rent. I have that covered. But how do I get LIABILITY insurance?

What do you all do about this? I mean, besides drive VERY carefully....

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/26/2019 11:00 PM

Ya know what... I just answered my own question.

I'll get it through the rental company. Disregard ....

duh

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/26/2019 11:24 PM

If you rent through Hertz it's included in the quote. Other places you buy it for 5-10 a day.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 01:16 PM

As others have said, some places you pump your own gas now. Most places they do pump it for you, but as JD said, just watch the exchange rate, but gas will be twice what it is at home, and priced by the liter.

On the Dutch side, all prices are a fixed exchange rate against the dollar. Exchange rates against the Euro can fluctuate. A FEW places will give you 1 to 1 on the dollar on the French side, but not many. The only place I recall getting 1 for 1 this trip was at Hope Market.

Enjoy your trip!

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 01:57 PM

Yellow Beach at Pinel was 1 to 1 cash.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 02:08 PM

I used the Cadisco station on the way from Orient Village to the airport and the attendant said they charge 1 for 1 when paying in cash. Very nice young man, polite and helpful.
Posted By: bran

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by deputydog1157
I used the Cadisco station on the way from Orient Village to the airport and the attendant said they charge 1 for 1 when paying in cash. Very nice young man, polite and helpful.

Also in Nettles Bay a Cadisco station, 1 for 1 and they are cheaper than the dutch side plus have a very good supermarket albeit in French. Found the green Pic Mosquito coils there and not the black ones they sell for $1.00. Cheap yes, but they don't work, the Pic ones do. Amazon also sell them, so taking a few with me next time.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by bran

Also in Nettles Bay a Cadisco station, 1 for 1 and they are cheaper than the dutch side plus have a very good supermarket albeit in French. Found the green Pic Mosquito coils there and not the black ones they sell for $1.00. Cheap yes, but they don't work, the Pic ones do. Amazon also sell them, so taking a few with me next time.

Do those things really work for you? Do you use the terra cotta holder?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 07:44 PM

1:1 in Nettle Bay? That's new! We go to Cadisco Marigot also 1 for 1.

I meant the 1:1 is now, there's been a Cadisco there for a long time! Newly rebuilt post Irma with a really nice little grocery store on site.

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten

We use those green coils up in Alaska fishing. Work great. I'll be using them starting tomorrow for my twice annual salmon fishing trip.
Posted By: bran

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
1:1 in Nettle Bay? That's new! We go to Cadisco Marigot also 1 for 1.

I meant the 1:1 is now, there's been a Cadisco there for a long time! Newly rebuilt post Irma with a really nice little grocery store on site.

I don't think its new. Opposite Meza Luna in Nettles Baie
Originally Posted by BeachKitten
[quote=deputydog1157]I used the Cadisco station on the way from Orient Village to the airport and the attendant said they charge 1 for 1 when paying in cash. Very nice young man, polite and helpful.

No dont use the terra cotta holder. The trick is to get them going about 20 minutes before you sit where you place them.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/27/2019 11:06 PM

Went to nettle bay twice last April. Stayed in Terre Basse. Easy and great attendant. Always tip a buck and they remembered me 2nd trip
Posted By: lee614

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/28/2019 02:31 AM

I always wondered if I was being ripped off at the full service gas station. I usually filled up on the Dutch side to avoid the euro conversion hassle. I think closer to the airport I found self-service pre-pay.
Posted By: Jerry_R

Re: Headed back after long absence - 06/28/2019 06:12 AM

Do yourself a favor & double check with your CC company about collision insurance and how it works. Many offer coverage but some are "unique" in how it works. Sometimes the car agency coverage is a better deal for a reasonable price. If I use my card's policy, I pay the entire bill for repairs and I then have to request reimbursement. One of the rental agencies that I use frequently offers coverage that basically allows me to pay the deductible & walk away.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline