TravelTalkOnline

Police offer safety tips

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Police offer safety tips - 07/26/2019 02:41 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/89447-police-issue-safety-tips-on-handling-armed-robberies
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Police offer safety tips - 07/26/2019 07:23 PM

Interesting article. I'll heed this advice if we ever move to St. Maarten and decide to open up a business. But, for those who visit as tourists many of these same pre-cautions apply. My three pieces of advice would be as follows: (1). Carry as little cash and jewelry on you as necessary. Use your room safe to lock up anything that you don't need or require for that day, including your passports. (2). Never, ever walk alone at night unless you're absolutely certain of your immediate environment. This especially applies to the beaches, side streets, and boardwalks. (3). Use taxis and forego the rental car if driving after dark and unsure regarding directions, parking, etc. We've never had an issue on SXM and don't intend to let there be a first time in the future.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Police offer safety tips - 07/26/2019 09:35 PM

My advise would be a little different.

No matter how much cash you have on you , the thief doesn't know until the act of robbing you.

Wendell
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Police offer safety tips - 07/26/2019 10:06 PM

Exactly. Totally agree with Wendell.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Police offer safety tips - 07/26/2019 10:45 PM

But, if you get mugged it would be a lot smarter handing over $75 rather than $750. I think the key here is having some cash on you rather than the whole roll. Of course, the goal is not to be in a position to get robbed in the fist place!
Posted By: bigbobthib

Re: Police offer safety tips - 07/26/2019 10:48 PM

I have a different take on this. If the courts step up the problem might go away!!!!!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline