TravelTalkOnline

ATM usage?

Posted By: BillDauterive

ATM usage? - 08/19/2019 02:36 AM

During my recent trips to Europe, I used ATMs to obtain local currency (€ or £). Fair exchange rate and very convenient.

Do ATMs on the island work the same way? And what currency is dispensed on the Dutch side?
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: ATM usage? - 08/19/2019 04:29 AM

ATM's on the Dutch side give you the option of Gilders or US dollars.
Posted By: wendyk

Re: ATM usage? - 08/19/2019 10:31 AM

The ATM at Porto Cupecoy ALSO dispenses Euros.
Posted By: badbenni

Re: ATM usage? - 08/19/2019 12:02 PM

I recommend that you get USD from ATM's rather than Guilders. U.S dollars are the most used currency by tourists and is accepted everywhere on Island.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: ATM usage? - 08/19/2019 03:12 PM

I agree with Badbenni. The guilders that are used here on Dutch Sint Maarten really aren't a good value and take second tier to the U.S. Dollar IMO. They're kind of a local currency that's still hanging around, and not flexible to use like the euro which you can use throughout most of continental Europe if and when you go there. As for euros on the French side, that's up to you but I found it's always helpful to have some with you based on the currency exchange rates being used by the establishments you visit. As of today, one euro is equal to $1.11 USD. So, it's smart to do the math if they accept both euros and dollars. But, it's really good when places on the French side show an even one-on-one exchange rate between euros and dollars. Also, one U.S. Dollar is worth roughly 1.78 Netherlands Guilder if that helps.
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: ATM usage? - 08/19/2019 08:52 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't get guilders. They can't be used anywhere else, that I know of. As you said, if I get euros, I can at least use them in Europe!! (I'm planning a trip to Germany in 2020, so I need the euros anyway).

I'll do what Sammy suggested: Get mostly dollars, and keep a few euros, if needed. I think I have about €30 buried in my sock drawer that I'll bring.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Posted By: badbenni

Re: ATM usage? - 08/20/2019 01:51 AM

The 30 Euro's might buy you a few Taco's and a beer.......
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: ATM usage? - 08/20/2019 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by SammyM
I agree with Badbenni. The guilders that are used here on Dutch Sint Maarten really aren't a good value and take second tier to the U.S. Dollar IMO. They're kind of a local currency that's still hanging around, and not flexible to use like the euro which you can use throughout most of continental Europe if and when you go there. As for euros on the French side, that's up to you but I found it's always helpful to have some with you based on the currency exchange rates being used by the establishments you visit. As of today, one euro is equal to $1.11 USD. So, it's smart to do the math if they accept both euros and dollars. But, it's really good when places on the French side show an even one-on-one exchange rate between euros and dollars. Also, one U.S. Dollar is worth roughly 1.78 Netherlands Guilder if that helps.

Actually you have it backwards. 1$ = !.11 euros.

Re: ATM usage? - 08/20/2019 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by SammyM

Actually you have it backwards. 1$ = !.11 euros. 1 Euro = 90 cents.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: ATM usage? - 08/20/2019 02:38 AM

The Euro has a higher value than the US Dollar.

From XE.com:

1 USD = 0.901989 EUR
1 EUR = 1.10866 USD
Posted By: boucharda

Re: ATM usage? - 08/20/2019 11:47 AM

Yup...it costs $1.11 to buy a Euro which is actually a great rate now.....

Re: ATM usage? - 08/20/2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bahston
The Euro has a higher value than the US Dollar.

From XE.com:

1 USD = 0.901989 EUR
1 EUR = 1.10866 USD

Correct. I had it backwards. Senior moment.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline