TravelTalkOnline

Your satisfaction with Jet Blue?

Posted By: PrairieGirl

Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 04:40 PM

Hello all you Blue flyers! Jet Blue has introduced a PHX-FLL direct flight with a connection to SXM this year, so for the first time it is a carrier that we can look at. I know NOTHING about Jet Blue except that I think I have noticed many of you Easterners fly it to SXM and or the most part are happy with their service?

Please share if you would or would not recommend using this airline to fly to SXM. Also, I can't find any difference between the Blue and Blue Plus tickets other than a free checked bag (normally $30). I would have thought there would also be more legroom, but it doesn't indicate that. What has your experience been?

We have to change our Nov/Dec flights at the last minute now due to an AA flight cancellation. The replacement routing they have given us is horrendous. Oh, and we arrive now arrive in Charlotte 6 hours AFTER we are scheduled to leave for our next leg. Hmmmmm.

Definately looking at alternatives and simply canceling with AA.

Thanks so much for your help with this!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 04:49 PM

You have it correct, the only difference is the free checked bag. So, if you're like us and only need one checked bag per couple, you could book one of you with the checked bag and one without. In general most people are fairly happy with Jet Blue, but it's just like any other airline, they have their issues too. Look at your options on AA, including changing dates, as they will do that for you versus them having to refund your money. Work out what is the best for you, in terms of PRICE and routing, etc., and make your decision based on that.
Posted By: IAmCdn54

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 04:50 PM

I have flown JB BUF to Sarasota via NY.
Price was right but like Westjet here in Canada I absolutely cannot stand their leather seats. Slippppping , slipppping, slippping, sit up straight, slippppping, slipping slipppping, sit up straight. Sweaty, sweaty, slippping, sweaty..
Given a choice I would pay extra for cloth seats over cheap leather.
Posted By: pat

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 05:03 PM

Hi, LeAnn,

We often fly JB out of JFK, basically for the convenience of their n/s flights to SXM as opposed to dealing with other carriers of late and having to connect. Personally speaking, if you could drive to SXM I wouldn’t recommend any of the carriers as flying anywhere is a total pita, IMHO, but it’s what you gotta’ do to get where we want to be.

This is purely MY opinion, but I don’t really see much difference in the carriers except for the n/s flights and the fact they seem to cancel less and they do offer daily service. By the time you do the add-on for roomier seats up front and the one bag included, in the middle fare structure, I really do think price wise they are about comparable. The roomy seats are worth it to us not, so much for the extra room but for the guaranteed overhead space for your carry-on, and more often than not, the pre-check factor is included. And while JB does run some very good sale and/or introductory market pricing on occasion, they aren’t cheap either, or at least, not like they used to be.

I think it all boils down to what works for you at a price you’re willing to pay, or at least that’s how we view it. Every once in a while I find a great price on AA for 1st class and I often grab it and book the return wherever I get the best deal. This seems to work well, too.

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 05:38 PM

Thanks everyone! Yes, we are looking at Jet Blue primarily for routing to get us home. We can get a good flight TO SXM on United, but coming home, arugh! Jet Blue does have a better schedule for our return flight. These two one way flights work out to less than our original AA flight which is just a bonus because we will have to drive to PHX (where before we could fly right out of Yuma), but that is NOT a big deal.

All the available AA routings are just awful, and since I'm not hearing anything horrible about Jet Blue, this combo might work. As a funny aside, the two airline option is significantly less expensive than flying Jet Blue round trip! It seems to be because on JB we leave PHX a few minutes after midnight so it is a Saturday flight (and many $$$$ more than the same flight on Friday) where on United we leave a few minutes before midnight making it a Friday flight (also much less expensive than the Saturday flight! I'm guessing that might be due to the US Thanksgiving holiday. Matters not to us, we will have eaten our turkey in Canada in October!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 07:19 PM

JB and Delta are my preferred airlines for flying anywhere. Seat choices, video entertainment options and, after flying both MANY times, I have NEVER had a flight changed significantly with either airline.

Yes, they are both just airlines but they are airlines I always feel comfortable booking with
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 08:55 PM

If you have the Jet Blue charge card you get free checked bag so those people check the first option. If you don't and then decide to check a bag do so at the time you get boarding pass because it'll cost more if you wait until you get to airport. Or take a chance, pack carry-on and our flights from BOS to SXM are always full and they then offer free checked bag.

They also offer something (forgot what it's called) that is supposed to get you through TSA faster, Don't bother because it isn't always faster. TSA agent told us JB pays for a dedicated agent but only one and at times regular lines move faster. AS to more leg room, we find the seats have enough room to not warrant the extra cost , $95 I think.

Back in the day, when we first discovered JB it was worthwhile for us to drive to Boston for the direct flight and bags were free. Now JB is similar to other airlines except, in our case fewer delays. We gave up on USAir from Providence after missing too many connections either in Philly or Charlotte and shortening our vacations.

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 09:01 PM

PS at one time we could book with JB then register flights with (forgot the name) that notified us when fare went down. Then we'd call JB and get the money in an account but now JB charges a change fee so it isn't worth it anymore. That was one reason why we liked it so much.
Posted By: pat

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 10:16 PM

Rosemary,

Regarding the ‘free’ checked bag with the JB CC, is that the free card or the one that has an annual fee attached? I’m assuming it’s the fee card but for the record?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 10:52 PM

Usually the free bag is for domestic flights only on most all cards.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 10:57 PM

PrarieGirl ... (love that name) ... We have flown Jet Blue many, many times here in the states and they are our airline of choice for a number of reasons. Like Carol mentioned Blue Plus adds a checked bag to your reservation but it's smart to watch the price for this upgrade. Sometimes it's low like $23 USD, but other times it's a bit high and not worth it if you can forego the luggage. Jet Blue also has seats that in my opinion are a little wider and offer more leg room. It may not indicate more leg room, but there is. This airline is usually dependable and I've never been delayed or stranded when flying with them in the past. Nor, have they ever presented us with any last minute or over night changes (like AA has). Finally, when it comes to beverages and snacks they have the best selection of any domestic U.S. airline (instead of always being given those ginger bread cookies, pretzels, or peanuts).

My question to you is why Phoenix to FFL with Jet Blue? Living where you do I can only assume you spend the winter months in Arizona. Based on where you live in Edam another option would be to drive to Saskatoon and fly direct to Minneapolis on West Jet or Delta (about 2-1/2 hours). You could then fly Jet Blue from Minneapolis to SXM, but unfortunately that involves two stops (so that would take a while). Hope this helps.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/01/2019 11:51 PM

Love Jet Blue! Heads and tails over the others.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/02/2019 10:59 AM

The free checked bag for the cardholder and up to 3 companions is with the card that has a $99 annual fee. I’m not sure if it is eligible for all international flights but it is for SXM.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/02/2019 11:25 AM

Correct on the JB Mastercard fee card...it does get free checked bags on ANY flight booked with JB. One bag each on one round trip covers the cost of the card...like most cards nowadays it charges no foreign transaction fees AND works in chip/pin card machines in France AND on the auto route toll booths

Also correct...you can book the lower fare and still get checked bags included with the card....in flight purchases are also half price with both cards

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/02/2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by pat
Rosemary,

Regarding the ‘free’ checked bag with the JB CC, is that the free card or the one that has an annual fee attached? I’m assuming it’s the fee card but for the record?

The annual fee. We personally don't have that yet (just got a JB card while in flight from SXM last year). If you travel more than once in a year with checked bags it pays for itself and more . And you get many more points than with the regular card so we're considering it. Especially since Hilton Honors changed my CitiCard to AMEX and I find fewer places take it. Only Leslie for the car rental in SXM. That's why I took the offer on the flight home.

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/02/2019 03:08 PM

Hi Sammy,

Actually, we can get from PHX to SXM easily on United, it is the leg getting back to PHX than we are looking at for Jet Blue. And yes, we are snowbirds, that is why the PHX location! It's too funny, we thought it would be easier to get to SXM now that we winter "down south" but it really didn't make much difference. We still end up with an overnight midtrip coming or going or both, unless we take an overnight flight. At least that is an option now, it wasn't from Saskatoon. But my husband can't sleep on a plane and he has decided that he feels rough enough when we get there that the overnight flight really isn't worth it, anymore except that you don't have to deal with checking in at an airport twice!

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/02/2019 03:17 PM

We are using the FLL connection coming and going in October. SXM-FLL-BDL (Hartford, CT) and return. Long layover going up and overnight coming back but it was half the price of AA, Delta wanted $1200. $400 for two round trip tickets. Haven't paid that in years! We know FL, so may just take a taxi somewhere and have a bite. On the overnight my daughter will bring her family from WPB so we will have a nice dinner with them.

We are way more comfortable on JB than AA. Buying a ticket on AA is like a crap shoot almost every time.

Sure do miss the SJU connection.

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/02/2019 03:19 PM

Did so well on this itinerary we booked Jan SXM-FLL spend more time with the FL family, then off to Orlando to do Disney with son and family. Will stop and check in with Annie while we are there. Oldtimers here will know.
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/03/2019 04:20 PM

I left AA for them years ago and have never looked back. They are redoing all their A320 cabins for more comfort and better amenities. I usually fly down BOS-JFK-SXM and nonstop SXM-BOS back but my next trip is all BOS-SXM nonstops. Friendly, helpful, and responsive -- everything that AA never bothers with. No Boeing airplanes, all Airbus. They also never sell too many seats and don't do radical rescheduling. GREAT AIRLINE.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/04/2019 04:25 AM

I have flown Jet Blue from New York in the past and it was fine, but I still prefer Westjet. FLYING FROM Canada, have you checked out Westjet with connection in Toronto?
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/04/2019 12:11 PM

That's a great idea Islandgem if they were staying in Saskatchewan. They'd have to drive (or take a bus) to Saskatoon, then fly either WestJet or Air Canada to Toronto. I suppose that's about a three hour flight. But, with the time difference between provinces they wouldn't land at Pearson until after 11:00 a.m. The nonstop WestJet flight to SXM leaves at 9:30 a.m., as I recall. They'd have to spend the day & night in the Toronto area, but this would be the quickest and cheapest way to go.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/04/2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
Did so well on this itinerary we booked Jan SXM-FLL spend more time with the FL family, then off to Orlando to do Disney with son and family. Will stop and check in with Annie while we are there. Oldtimers here will know.

Although I never met her I always enjoyed her posts, especially her recipes! I was wondering how she is as she has not posted in a long time. How is she doing Elaine? Give her TTOL's best.

Re: Your satisfaction with Jet Blue? - 09/04/2019 08:34 PM

Still here and doing just fine, thanks!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline