TravelTalkOnline

Abbreviated Trip

Posted By: Jerry_R

Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 11:39 AM

Several weeks ago we received notice from RCI that we were about to lose a significant number of points if we did not use them by Jan. 1. I quickly ramped up a search & found Wed. to Wed., September 4-11 availability @ La Plage. I thought that was unusual but it allowed us to take advantage of midweek prices for flights. Booked flights from Jet Blue departing Ft. Lauderdale. Car reservation thru Lesley Bruce @ Kenny's.

Along came Dorian. Due to it's instability and unpredictability we moved our departure to Thursday, September 5. Glad we did. We could have made it on Wed. but felt more relaxed as the storm had made it's way up the coast. Booked a park/sleep/fly @ Homewood Suites. Up @ 3 a.m. to take the 4 a.m. shuttle to the airport for the 7 a.m. departure. All so far has gone well. We were even able to get a unit on the hotel side of La Plage which is much quieter than the street side.

Day 1 - Arrival - All went well. Dinner @ 3 Amigos. Not impressed. Not our 1st visit. Maybe a step above Taco Bell but not much more. Not cheap either, even for tacos.

Day 2 - Shopping in Phillipsburg. Quiet & easy to get around. Parking still poor. Lot was full so we parked along the salt pond. Lunch along the boardwalk. Blue something or other. Great bacon cheeseburger & really cold Corona. Dinner @ Moulin Fou. Not sure why we have never eaten here. Both dinners & service were excellent. Tag team service from staff.

Day 3 - Pool. Lunch in the room. Dinner @ La Rosa too. Quite good and excellent service there as well.

Day 4 - Maybe a beach day?? Not sure yet. Too early to tell.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 01:05 PM

Sounds like a good start so far. Thanks for the info on the Homewood Suites park/sleep/fly. How much was it? I have often found that airport shuttles aren't as early as I need them to be. I think we've only eaten at Moulin Fou once, but we enjoyed it. Same with LaRosa 2, although both times we were dining with local friends, so that made it so much more enjoyable in both cases.
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 01:18 PM

Agree with 3 Amigos (next to LaPlage - we were there last week). Way overpriced for everything.

We did like the restaurant near the pool at La Plage (forgot the name). Reasonable prices & good food. I liked the mixed (lamb/chicken) pita a lot.

Fat Tony's in Cupecoy is also a good option.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 01:38 PM

Love Moulin Fou! Good food and attentive formal service.

You might try Pincho Gringo outside Dinghy Dock for some casual and AFFORDABLE tacos/burritos/margaritas. (hours 11-9 daily) They also DELIVER! from Cole Bay to Cupecoy.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 03:00 PM

You must be referring to the Blue Bitch Bar in Philipsburg.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 09:32 PM

Carol the Hilton line usually has 24 hour shuttles and not just to the airport. Where we stay a mile from Long they shuttle us into downtown Boston or other restaurants around the area. The just call for shuttle pick-up. Hilton Garden Inn Sarasota airport also shuttles almost as far as St Armands Square.
Posted By: mahokid

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 09:47 PM

Jerry,

Spending way to much time on the computer and not at the pool.
Good luck scotch shopping.

Funny how you meet fellow traveltalk members at the pool

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/08/2019 11:27 PM

Ro--I can't afford the Hilton! grin

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/09/2019 08:34 PM

We had a 1 bedroom suite and parking for the week. They have a light meal (ours was pulled pork & salad) and beer\wine. Breakfast too. I think it was $175. A regular room was less.

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/09/2019 08:51 PM

You are thinking of Tortuga. Good food reasonably priced.

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/09/2019 08:53 PM

On my way now !

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/09/2019 11:25 PM

Jerry--seems like a decent price, including the meal and parking.

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/11/2019 05:04 AM

We thought so. Will update about the pickup process. Both of us are restless sleepers. Having a couch or extra bed is a plus. That's why I'm posting @ 1 a.m. with an alarm setting of 6 a.m.

Posted By: mahokid

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/11/2019 11:22 AM

Jerry,

Safe trip home and it was nice to meet you and share pool time.
Home you enjoyed diner last night.
I had hot flashes and took half home for lunch today.

Michael

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/11/2019 01:12 PM

Jerry--safe travels. That was one thing we used to love about Miami Fast Park, the pick up at the airport at the end! We routinely waited maybe 5 minutes for them to pick us up. We have often waited a half hour or more for hotel shuttles, which is maddening at the end of a long day of travelling.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/11/2019 03:20 PM

Safe home! So nice to re-meet you both last night

Re: Abbreviated Trip - 09/12/2019 04:13 AM

Thanks for the kind thoughts from all. Home safe & sound. Will finish report later.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline