TravelTalkOnline

Carrefour and plastic bags?

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 01:43 PM

I believe I read somewhere that Carrefour no longer provides plastic bags free? Is that correct? We normally bring down a reusable bag that we bought at Super U and get free plastic bags at Carrefour. Thanks for any info.
Posted By: WLE

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 03:14 PM

They charge 10 cents per plastic bag, so it's best to bring you own needs.
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 03:51 PM

They also have their carts locked up outside, which requires a coin or chip that you can buy from Super U, go figure. But if you aske one of the bag boys, they will provide a chip free of charge.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 04:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I especially didn't know that about the carts being locked. Do the carts accept a US quarter, or it's a specific coin?? The carts at Super U accept a US quarter.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 06:00 PM

How weird, story in the Daily Herald, dated today, which is weird because the DH doesn't publish on Sunday.

Daily Herald story
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 06:44 PM

Are they charging for paper?
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 08:27 PM

A quarter works in the Carrefour carts. Same setup at Fairway Mark It. Coin comes out when you return the cart.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 08:42 PM

OK, great, no problem. Can do that.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 11:24 PM

Sounds like the carts at Aldi stores. I suppose it saves the store the labor costs of having an employee go into the lot to gather them up and bring to the entrance.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/29/2019 11:50 PM

You really think .25 makes a difference to bring a cart back? After you tip the box boy they'll take it for you. Good they will also get the coin too.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/30/2019 12:29 AM

Scuba--I'm not worried about getting my quarter back, just wondering how to get the cart to begin with. And deputy, that is what Aldi says, that it saves them money because they don't have to hire someone to bring the carts back.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/30/2019 02:15 AM

That is good for the box boys to make a little extra on top of the tip we give them.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/30/2019 12:12 PM

Carol Hill had mentioned once awhile ago that Super U wouldn't allow the hand carry basket out the door but the roll cart you can and does take an American quarter. Anyone know if that is still true? And does Super U supply bags or do you have to bring your own?

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/30/2019 12:57 PM

As of June this year, Super U carts do take a US quarter and they have not supplied plastic bags at Super U, almost from the beginning, I believe.
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/30/2019 10:42 PM

I’m not sure if they take quarters or not, the bag boy gave me a red plastic coin, probably about the size of a quarter. Never thought to put a quarter in the slot, as I do not carry any change with me, lol.
Posted By: Sunflower

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/30/2019 11:17 PM

Carrefour carts will accept a US quarter. Makes it much easier.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 09/30/2019 11:50 PM

That is the way it was last May.
Posted By: megamania

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 02:03 PM

I have never been to the Carrefour store you speak of...how does one find it? lol...probably cause I am always driving and keeping eyes on road, I have missed it. If heading to Phillipsburg from Simpson Bay area, how would I get to it.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 02:13 PM

There are two large Carrefour stores and two smaller ones. The smaller ones are at Puerto Cupecoy and at Jordan Village. To get to the Carrefour close to P'burg, just head up over the hill from Simpson Bay, go through the roundabout near the top of the hill and keep going basically straight through the roundabout, down the hill, pass the Kooyman, to the next roundabout, which is where Mark's is, and Carrefour is there in that parking lot. To get to the other large Carrefour, take the Causeway from the airport toward the French side. Bear to the right at the roundabout, head past Princess Port de Plaisance, and it's very close after PDP, on the same side of the road.
Posted By: megamania

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 02:37 PM

thanks Carol....my mission on our next visit. LOL
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 02:43 PM

It is the old Grand Marche grocery, same location.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by megamania
I have never been to the Carrefour store you speak of...how does one find it? lol...probably cause I am always driving and keeping eyes on road, I have missed it. If heading to Phillipsburg from Simpson Bay area, how would I get to it.

Both of the larger older Grand Marche locations are now large carrefour stores.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 03:38 PM

JD--right. I didn't even think of that when I replied..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 03:54 PM

I wondered about the detailed directions.

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/01/2019 04:21 PM

Distracted, I guess! grin
Posted By: cacapasa

Re: Carrefour and plastic bags? - 10/06/2019 03:58 AM

Back when what is now the Super U market in Howell Center, Marigot, was known as Supermarche Match, it cost a quarter to liberate a shopping cart. And that goes back more than 20 years ago. A few years before going out of business they began to promote the use of their branded tote bag instead of single-use plastic. We still have one.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline