TravelTalkOnline

Grocery Shopping

Posted By: MXS

Grocery Shopping - 10/13/2019 07:15 PM

This Saturday we are returning for the first time since Irma. As in the past, we will be staying at OBBR. Where (anywhere on the island) would you do your initial grocery shopping for the week? Where is it located? Where would you buy your adult beverages for the week?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Grocery Shopping - 10/13/2019 07:24 PM

I would go to Carrefour by Mark's. They have a great selection, including liquor and wine, and better prices on wine than the Carrefour in Cole Bay.
Posted By: MXS

Re: Grocery Shopping - 10/13/2019 07:38 PM

Thanks Carol. Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what (or where) "Mark's" is.

Re: Grocery Shopping - 10/13/2019 08:30 PM

OK, with regard to Mark's, head over the hill toward P'burg, past Kooyman, to the roundabout. At the roundabout, bear toward the right, which is where Carrefour and Mark's are on the right hand side.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Grocery Shopping - 10/13/2019 08:51 PM

If MXS is coming from OBBR he would go past pburg toward Simpson Bay and turn left after Cost U Less.

Re: Grocery Shopping - 10/13/2019 08:53 PM

OK, sorry, I was thinking about coming from the airport, versus coming from the resort.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Grocery Shopping - 10/13/2019 09:34 PM

If you are coming from the Airport someone needs to stay with the car !!!
Posted By: Newt

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/12/2020 01:25 PM

That was my concern WB, we want to stop at Super U in Marigot on way to Bleu in GC, but I don't want all of our possessions (albeit in the enclosed trunk) gone on the first day. Is that a reasonable thought?

Newt

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/12/2020 02:02 PM

Sorry, I was talking about from the direction of the airport, versus OBBR, which is the opposite direction, not coming directly from the airport to the grocery store. The post got kind of confused. Do NOT leave your stuff in the car from the airport and go to the grocery store. Super U in Hope Estate is 5 minutes from Grand Case. Go drop off your stuff at the hotel and then go do your shopping.
Posted By: pat

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/12/2020 02:30 PM

Well if it was me.......... I wouldn’t shop and would let Jeannie Gee of Shopndrop do my shopping for me. Easy to order and pay on line and easier yet to arrive at your destination to find everything neatly stowed in your kitchen and the drinks chilln’ in the fridge. But I hate to shop and only do so in necessity after we’re already checked in and settled at our resort.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/12/2020 05:46 PM

Shop at the Super U in Grand Case after you drop your things off at your hotel.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/13/2020 12:29 AM

Agree on Jeannie. Order and get delivered enough for day of arrival and next morning.... then venture out for a relaxed shop on first full day Enjoy
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/13/2020 01:53 AM

Hope estate appears to have everything Super U Marigot does and is way less chaotic . Helpful hint. If you have some Euro coins in a drawer bring them. You cant get a real cart at either Super U without a coin to unlock. Unless you find a stragler.

Its not so much fun using the baby plastic carts that you have to abandon at the checkout line.

Also, you’ll have to buy reusable grocery bags. You see a ton of these on the plane home.

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/13/2020 01:59 AM

Regarding coins, a US quarter works just fine to unlock the cart.. And regarding reusable bags, we have bought the bags there at Super U the past couple of trips, and then put them in the baggage going down to SXM, no problem.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/13/2020 01:26 PM

Good to know about the quarter, no loose Euro's hanging around that I can find.
Posted By: baycruisers

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/14/2020 06:23 PM

We're heading back to SXM in June and staying in Grand Case. Ordinarily we shop at Super U in Marigot after dropping off our things. But is there a grocery store now open in Hope Estates?

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/14/2020 06:26 PM

Yes!! Can't remember what was there before, but there is a brand new large Super U in Hope Estates. It opened in June 2019. Same great selection as in Marigot.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/14/2020 06:28 PM

If you don't want to go into Marigot take the back way from OBBR past L'Oasis restaurant towards Orient. After the school take a left and that puts you on the middle road and toward Pinel Ferry road and on to Grand Case past the GC airport.

But don't go all the way to GC instead at the round about instead of right to Pinel Ferry go around and on left is Hope Estate where there is another Super U.
Posted By: baycruisers

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/14/2020 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Yes!! Can't remember what was there before, but there is a brand new large Super U in Hope Estates. It opened in June 2019. Same great selection as in Marigot.

Wonderful! I don't remember the name of the market that was there pre-Irma but it was handy and it will be a bit closer for us.

Thanks!
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/14/2020 10:52 PM

Was it Simply?

They had actually closed prior to Irma.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/14/2020 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by BeachKitten
Was it Simply?

They had actually closed prior to Irma.

I think it was USA Market. I remember thinking it meant American but when we went in it was all French.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Grocery Shopping - 01/15/2020 02:57 PM

So glad it has reopened. We missed it opening by a few months on our last trip.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline