TravelTalkOnline

Sunset - Beach Sand

Posted By: CmVan10

Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:12 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts or updates on the sands (now rocks) at Sunset Beach Bar. Everyone has their favorite place to go in SXM and this is mine. Every trip we spend at least 1 day on the beach watching the planes come in. It’s so sad to just see rocks. Thoughts?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:14 AM

Whatever it is today, it may be different tomorrow or even later today. The sand comes and goes at all beaches but seems to be more exaggerated at Maho.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:22 AM

I am well aware that sand comes and goes at all beaches. The sand at THIS beach is gone and has been for many many months, and to my recollection it has never been this bad for this long of a period of time.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:24 AM

Many many months? No, there has been lots of sand there recently. And lots of rocks the next day. A few weeks ago they had the dozer out taking the sand from the road so people could pass. It's all up to Mother Nature.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:27 AM

I look at the website every day and have done so for the past 6 months. I probably have more focus on it than others since it is my favorite destination. Yes, many many months.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by CmVan10
I look at the website every day and have done so for the past 6 months. I probably have more focus on it than others since it is my favorite destination. Yes, many many months.

You are aware that Bill and Elaine live on the island and probably have very up to date information?
Again, the sand comes and goes and it will continue to do so.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:47 AM

OK. Thanks for the feedback. I am going to start taking pics every day and see what happens over the next few months. The Sunset Beach bar must be setting their camera on a loop and showing the same beach video every day because what I am viewing is obviously out of date according to you. Thanks again. I will make a video montage in 3 or 4 months and either I will prove to myself that I am correct, or completely out of touch with reality.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:51 AM

What I am seeing right now shows some sand towards Driftwood boat bar but rocks towards Sunset. There is a date stamp on the Sunset webcam that appears to be today and live. It is likely to change multiple times within the next few months.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:55 AM

Yes, we are looking at the same exact live video with time stamps on it. Have you looked at it every day for the last 3 months? Be patient and wait to see how it changes over the next 3 months via my daily tracking put to sped up video on YouTube. I would be HAPPY to be wrong. Thanks.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 12:04 PM

Yes, we are looking at the same exact live video with time stamps on it. Have you looked at it every day for the last 3 months? Be patient and wait to see how it changes over the next 3 months via my daily tracking put to sped up video on YouTube. I would be HAPPY to be wrong. Thanks.

No, I do not look at it daily but I do see pictures and talk to people who live on the island and the beach comes and goes like it always does and it has NOT been without sand for many, many months. As Elaine stated, a few weeks ago, machinery had to move sand that washed over the road.

I am going down in 2 weeks and will see for myself but whatever the status of Maho is today will have little bearing on what it is when I am there or months from now.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 12:07 PM

Just found a pic from July 2019. This was the beginning of the sand going away. That was 3+ months ago. Hope you can see the pic attached. 👍

Attached picture C285A7C5-50F8-49EB-AA7B-C4A90B6B35C1.jpeg
Posted By: kim

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 12:10 PM

I’m pretty sure the rocks were covered in August. Can’t find a picture but I walked from Sunset to driftwood on the beach.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 12:14 PM

We drive past it every day. Sometimes sand, sometimes rock.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 02:29 PM

Every time I have looked at the cam for last couple months all I have seen are rocks on that side of maho too.
Posted By: EscapingCold

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 02:58 PM

Few shots of the sand in the past 6 weeks or so. Pretty interesting to see how it changes so fast.

Attached picture Screenshot_20191025-105132_Gallery.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20191025-105202_Gallery.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20191025-105229_Gallery.jpg
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 03:33 PM

It's amazing how mother nature works. It's been a long time since there was enough sand for the chairs at the Sunset Bar to be put out. It's only a matter of time till it comes back and covers the area again. Unfortunately for those that want to sit/lounge on the beach near the bar for beverages have to sit in the bar.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 04:34 PM

CmVan--You know that worrying about the sand is kind of like worrying about the weather? You can't change what happens regardless. But when you get down to it, if you're there, you're still in SXM, regardless of whether you are sitting on the sand, or sitting up at the bar. It's pretty cool, regardless. Enjoy!

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 05:01 PM

I apologize to everyone for making this post and I promise I will never post again asking for others thoughts.

I simply asked for any updates or thoughts on the rocks and what I get back is that I am somehow worried??

It’s interesting that SXMScubaman has observed the same thing that I have for the last couple of months and EscapingCold posted 3 definitive pictures of the rocks but BillandElaine drive by it every day and see sand?

Yes, nature is amazing and so are many people’s perceptions.

Good Day all 👍
Posted By: WLE

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 05:20 PM

Yes, they did have to move some sand from the road on the opppsite end from the Beach Bar a month or two ago, but the end close to the bar
has only had rocks for a long time.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 05:45 PM

Never said I see sand every day. But I don;t see rocks every day either.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 05:56 PM

Started checking it often after a storm bared rocks all the way to Driftwood Boat Bar. Sand is slowly coming back an Driftwood side has plenty of people beaching it. Sand was present almost to centerline of runway.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 05:59 PM

I've seen the sand go out for an overnight cleaning and back in time for breakfast
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 06:10 PM

I apologize to everyone for making this post and I promise I will never post again asking for others thoughts.

I simply asked for any updates or thoughts on the rocks and what I get back is that I am somehow worried??

It’s interesting that SXMScubaman has observed the same thing that I have for the last couple of months and EscapingCold posted 3 definitive pictures of the rocks but BillandElaine drive by it every day and see sand?

Yes, nature is amazing and so are many people’s perceptions.

Good Day all 👍

I have to agree with you (and Scubaman). I check this webcam everyday (sometimes even a few times) to get my Sxm fix. Actually I was almost ready to post the same question. We all know sand comes and goes but I have never seen rocks there this long. Just an observation, no big deal!

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 07:50 PM

I stand corrected. Sorry BillandElaine

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 09:45 PM

Sorry your post got so many responces that were unfavorable to you. Hope you stay with this forum as it is a great source of island information. It should not be needed but sometimes having a thick skin helps. Stick with it.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 09:47 PM

Thanks, I definitely do need a thicker skin. I’m happy to be a viewer from here on out.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/25/2019 11:58 PM

CMVan--Sorry, people can disagree, that's the reason they make chocolate and vanilla.. Please continue to post..

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/26/2019 01:01 AM

Yes. Please do continue here and post.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/26/2019 01:15 AM

We’re good everyone! All of us LOVE SXM and that’s all that matters!!!

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/26/2019 03:21 AM

Great.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/26/2019 11:59 AM

Great. Good to hear!
Posted By: Maranjo

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/26/2019 04:26 PM

I know the exact location that you are referring to. If you look today, there is more visible sand in that spot although not enough for them to open the loungers.
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/26/2019 10:55 PM

If anyone has a real feel for how the sand comes and goes, it just might be Neil Rooney. JMHO

Hope you have been well Neil.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 10/26/2019 11:16 PM

Rick and Grace, ALL is good. Back on Nevis for a while!
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/03/2019 07:16 PM

Looks like (on the webcam) the sand is slowly returning

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/03/2019 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Looks like (on the webcam) the sand is slowly returning

Yes, looks awesome!
Posted By: Joecool

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/03/2019 07:27 PM

We are staying there in December, I will let you know how much sand has returned while we are there.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/03/2019 08:48 PM

The sand comes.....it goes......it comes back.....it goes.......it comes back.......it goes....and so on....... One never knows from day to day what will be with the sand situation. You can have a full beach there one day......and the next it is totally gone!! I have witnessed that many times over the years.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/03/2019 09:16 PM

Correct....but it has been rocks for quite some time and it is decent to see it start to return....over the last 20 or so years I have seen both rocks and sand
Posted By: Wingman

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 01:07 PM

As I said in one of the other threads, It's been slowly coming back all week. It's great to see. The surf has been pretty rough around here all week. The waves have been going over the road, so just about every day, they've had a loader clearing the sand in the road.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 04:24 PM

Just got back from trip to Jules Bakery. As we've been talking about, big progress over at Maho Beach. There were actually quite a few loungers out by Sunset there today. Saturday it was all rock there. As Louise said in another post, over 15K people on cruise ships on the island. Sunset and the whole beach was wall to wall people. Some of our group wanted to go there for lunch today. I just told them they should consider another day.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 04:38 PM

Just looked at webcam. Thats more sand than I've seen last 2 months which isn't much. Lots of rocks still showing and people sitting on rocks.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 05:26 PM

Yeah, definitely not a good day to try to eat there.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 06:36 PM

In the long term beaches are essentially 'temporary' features that can come and go based on a variety of different things. By far the number one cause of beach erosion is strong waves and storms that wash up and deposit sediment on the shoreline, or take it away out to sea. As climate change progresses, the belief is that tropical and sub-tropical storms will increase in their intensity and the stronger the storms the greater the damage. Where I live on the Great Lakes we have a beautiful peninsula with 11 fresh water beaches. But, when the winter storms are severe the amount of beach erosion is stunning. To combat this, we have sand replenishment programs based on state funding that occurs in May and June and this helps tremendously. One other thing that was added years ago was a series of stone breakwaters several hundred yards off shore. These also help, though they can be perceived as an 'eye sore' to some (especially when watching an evening sunset). Breakwaters could be of some use on St. Maarten, but IMO wouldn't be worth the cost or effort -- especially when a powerful hurricane comes crashing in. Maybe if we can slow climate change in the future we can turn around things like massive beach erosion and unsightly sargassum sea grass outbreaks. Maybe.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 07:21 PM

First time I noticed lounge chairs on the beach in a long time.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by LBI2SXM

Same here.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Originally Posted by LBI2SXM

Same here.

They were on the rocks! lol....we drove by after needing some last minute ingredients from the Maho Market. I laughed at chairs on rocks.

Four ships in today WAS CRAZY! It was tough to drive in/out of Beacon Hill.

This morning they had one way traffic directed by police, as they were clearing sand. HUGE pile in front of Driftwood taking up several parking spaces. I believe that people came from Sunset and got some sand from that pile last night.??
Posted By: Renee

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 08:29 PM

Would LOVE to see a time lapse video of all this. It REALLY has changed from even just a few days ago. I look at it daily to get my "SXM fix". LOL
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 09:03 PM

go to the Driftwood !!!!

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/04/2019 09:47 PM

I merged the two topics as it was getting repetitive and both pretty much saying the same thing.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Renee
Would LOVE to see a time lapse video of all this. It REALLY has changed from even just a few days ago. I look at it daily to get my "SXM fix". LOL

I have the last 9 days saved and wanted to wait a little longer to put it together. I also have to figure out how to do it. LOL!’

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Renee

I have the last 9 days saved and wanted to wait a little longer to put it together. I also have to figure out how to do it. LOL!’

Try this. 1st attempt at a time lapse video. It doesn’t show the actual dates so I need to fix that.

https://youtu.be/pcJoHu-Bcdg

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 11:47 AM

That's kind cool....

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 11:47 AM

And it looks like even more sand back today.
And now about an hour later there are workers there with shovels moving sand OFF the road where there are rocks. Looks like it is coming back for now.
Posted By: Doc Bill

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 01:07 PM

Beach is coming back real fast today!! Probably the owner of the chairs is paying for it.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 01:17 PM

Yes, we've been here since the 27th and every day a very noticeable difference with the beach coming back. It's been terrible driving through there though, between the people and the daily deposits of sand in the road it's been a challenge getting in and out. Every day since we've been here, they've had to clear the roads with the loader. Finally as we went out last night, they are just parking the loader over by Driftwood.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 01:28 PM

As Wingman says...this has been everyday. Yesterday was a nightmare, with 4 ships and cruisers milling about in the dang road as well. sitting on the ledge with their legs dangling into the road. Impossible to navigate along with BUSES!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 02:20 PM

Beach Kitten--Wow, that's some big piles of sand!

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 02:21 PM

Wow, huge difference between before that, and Sunday and Monday! Cool.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 03:52 PM

Looks like they are trucking it in as they have at other beaches in the past. Lots of sand was trucked in to Royal Palm years back when they dredged Big Bay.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 04:12 PM

Correct and it was some pretty crappy sand until nature cleaned it up. If anything, I would guess they are trucking away from Maho if it is going onto the road.
BTW, 3 rows of chairs by Sunset right now.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 04:26 PM

Good to see.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 04:44 PM

Amazing amount of sand now, versus what it was, at the beginning of this week!

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 05:37 PM

Yep and the usual morons walking 3-4 abreast in the lane of traffic.

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Yep and the usual morons walking 3-4 abreast in the lane of traffic.

And texting same time.
Posted By: minys

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 07:56 PM

Also any status on sand at Coupecoy?

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/05/2019 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by minys
Also any status on sand at Coupecoy?

I would suggest starting a new topic for that.
Posted By: SeaStar

Re: Sunset - Beach Sand - 11/06/2019 02:54 PM

I was watching the webcam very early this morning and there was a front loader moving sand from the Driftwood side to Sunset.
At times the road was blocked and one lane for both directions.
There was already some chairs out at Sunset and the front loader was trying to create a level area by the road for the chairs.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline