TravelTalkOnline

Day # 2 from the Horny Toad

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 10:48 AM

After a early wake up yesterday we had pastries from La Sucriere we ventured into town. No ships in and not much business being conducted anywhere. I was walking on the boardwalk and my wife on the beach when I heard some hailing me from Big Wood bar/restaurant. It was Kerine who used to bar tend at Driftwood. I talked to here for a bit and we ended up having a light lunch and a couple of drinks there.

Town was pretty dead as there were no ships in. Very little business of any kind at any establishment. A stop at Caribbean Gems for some on sight jewelry repair and resizing and cleaning. Always great to see Max and the staff there but it was sad to see how slow things were for them.

A stop to see Ray at House of Jewels and the same lack of business there.

A quick stop at Carrefour for a few groceries and Tech Hub to put credit on my Top Up card and then back to Horny Toad for a quick nap as the long travel day caught up with me.

At 5:30 each day the Horny Toad and an informal social hour for any guests who care to join. Snacks are shared along with conversation. Two couples from MI along with Doug and Debbie (the owners) and ourselves made up the group.

It was then off to either Bar Code of Fat Tony's for dinner. I saw a familiar rental and decided to see if I could find who it belonged to. I spotted John and Pat (pat) along with another TTOL member and said hi to them. They were at Bar code so that was our choice for the evening.

I had the shrimp special and my wife had the chili. Both were very good and the place was doing a good business. John and Pat then joined us for dessert and conversation. A good day overall and a good evening with some good people.

It is going to be Mullet Bay or just staying here today.

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 11:55 AM

BTW, it is a very dark drive through Mullet Bay as none of the lights seem to be working.
Posted By: mort

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 12:53 PM

Any word if Wanda is at Bavaria on Fridays?

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 01:35 PM

No idea but if we are out that way I will find out. I would like to eat there but Ronalee is not into German food.
Posted By: CaribJoe

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mort

She was this past August.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 02:23 PM

We went to town in June when there was one (smaller) ship in, and it was dead then too. It's very sad, the lack of business there.

Hopefully Pat was behaving herself?? grin

Enjoy your day!
Posted By: SurferMike

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 05:03 PM

Thanks for your report. We’ve been staying at The Horny Toad for the last 15 years. The original owner Betty, now has her daughter and son in law run the place. You’re absolutely right about the new Toad. Even with the updated improvements, it still kept its old style charm. Doesn’t look much different today than the original building. We stayed there for a little over 3 weeks last March and hated to leave (as we always do).3 and a half more months and we’ll be back to our paradise, St Maarten and The Horny Toad. Enjoy the rest of your stay!

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/09/2019 06:32 PM

Thanks, Yes, it is a great place. We met Earl way back when but did not stay here until just after he passed.

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/16/2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mort

I went into Bavaria last night (Friday) and the outside bar was closed. I did not look at the inside bar to see if she was possibly there but the big draw on Friday was the happy hour at the outside bar.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/17/2019 05:09 AM

Tanja the gal who ran the outside bar at Bavaria has opened her own business across the street. It is called The Pub. Guess they haven't found someone to man the outside bar yet.

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/17/2019 10:20 AM

As of mid-Sept. Wanda was mentioned in their FB posts as running the bar but not since then.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/17/2019 11:53 AM

Wanda took over the Friday night bar when Tanja moved to The Pub months ago. Don't know what has happened at Bavaria since.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/17/2019 01:35 PM

Elizabeth--mort was looking for Wanda, not Tanja..
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/17/2019 03:01 PM

The outside bar was only a success when Tanja was there. She drew the crowd. The same crowd would not follow Wanda.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Day # 2 from the Horny Toad - 11/17/2019 03:31 PM

So she is not working there anymore due to poor business? I know last few years they did not open the outside bar during low season.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline