TravelTalkOnline

Jet blue check in

Posted By: dcarol

Jet blue check in - 11/15/2019 05:32 PM

Has someone recently experienced early luggage check. Some have reported that they do not accept it earky. I don't want to waste time going early for nothing.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/15/2019 06:12 PM

I also heard they do not allow early check of baggage so we haven't tried lately. In fact, the check-in for JB isn't manned much earlier than their first flight.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/15/2019 07:14 PM

In August they checked to make sure we weren’t earlier than 3 hours before they’d even talk to us about checking in.
Posted By: wendyk

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/16/2019 10:56 AM

I doubt there is storage for extra baggage at this time with the airport still not fully functioning.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/16/2019 01:54 PM

As I recall, even pre-Irma, some of the airlines had a rule that you couldn't check bags more than a certain amount of time ahead of your flight. I never thought of storage space as being an issue, but perhaps that is the issue.
Posted By: kim

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/16/2019 03:24 PM

I doubt there is storage for early luggage like the old days. I flew out yesterday on the 4:48ish to JFK. Little panicky because of the French plane leaving. Arrived at 2:30 with boarding passes in hand and no checked bags. It took a solid 30 minutes to clear security. Total chaos down below so we waited up top until flight called. Just remember if you check in and print your own tickets you will need to have your docs checked at the gate.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/16/2019 11:18 PM

We go early. Take our 2 checked bags with us to sunset beach bar & have lunch with them beside us. Husband watches luggage while I run back & forth to see landing planes. Then $10 Taxi to airport. Used to check bags first but not now. Works for us.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/17/2019 03:51 PM

OMG...we left within 15 minutes of AirFrance....total chaos in the lower portion with the gates. Stayed upstairs until close to boarding time. Much nicer and cooler. Closer to the restrooms and shops.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/18/2019 12:27 PM

How are you guys finding out what flights are expected ?
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/18/2019 09:46 PM

Go to www.mahobeachcam.com and at the left side is designation ARRIVALS. On the right side is DEPARTURES. When you click on these a list with times, airline etc come up. There is also a designation on that cam to click a mike to hear air traffic controllers and pilots.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/18/2019 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by lcote
How are you guys finding out what flights are expected ?

Or go to the airport website
PJIA - arrivals and departures
Posted By: tbaybob

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/19/2019 11:21 AM

I use the app FlightAware.It is free and gives up to date info on all airports and airlines in the world.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/19/2019 09:40 PM

I was ble to check in at 1:30 for a 4:30 Jet Blue flight, then the flight on Saturday got delayed 5 hours! Not too many happy people since the airport now was empty with just our Jet Blue refugees. Taking off late at nite was scary....spending 8 hours at airport....not happy.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/19/2019 09:45 PM

Wow, that stinks! What was the reason for the delay??

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/19/2019 11:26 PM

I read that the inbound flight crew was overtime and they diverted to FLL for a new crew.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/20/2019 01:09 AM

OK, sounds like something that, if you checked online for status, you would know about. dcarol--Did they tell you originally that the flight was going to be delayed several hours???
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 11:23 AM

Yesterday’s JetBlue flights were both delayed. Heavy rains sent both flights to San Juan to wait out the weather. I know that the return flight to JFK left after 8PM. I think the FLL flight got out around 5PM.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 12:31 PM

Yup. Mom was on the JFK flight. I called Jb as her phone must have gone dread and online had the plane refueling for like 3 hours! They didn’t land at JFK until 3:00am. JB said then what happened was the crew times out and they had to wait for another crew to come from FLL. At least that was the story last night from JB

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 01:50 PM

Wow, I heard there were some delays yesterday. What an awful trip home. Do you know if she knew the flight was going to be delayed that long, or Jet Blue strung them along, saying it was going to be another 30 minutes all the time?

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Wow, I heard there were some delays yesterday. What an awful trip home. Do you know if she knew the flight was going to be delayed that long, or Jet Blue strung them along, saying it was going to be another 30 minutes all the time?

Not sure. Spoke to dad briefly this morning. Mom still in bed!! They didn’t get back to CT until 5:00am!!

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 02:27 PM

OK, what a nightmare.

For future reference everyone, even though the airport does not currently have wifi, which they were supposed to have, as of several months ago, the bar and Dominos both DO have wifi for their patrons. Do NOT believe what the airline is telling you. Check on your flight yourself, so that you actually know what is really going on. We heard from the bartender that the airlines in SXM routinely lie to pax and tell them it will be another 30 minutes, another 30 minutes, etc..

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 02:58 PM

First they had a delay, then the pilots were timed out, its illegal for pilots to fly past their allotted time, shifts, so now they needed new pilots to fly from Fort Lauderdale. We were not told of the delay till about 45 minutes before the flight. Ugh, by 9:00PM, even those little shops closed up. Not a happy group of Jet Blue passengers!

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 02:59 PM

The flight that was to be direct to New York Nov 16, landed at 12:15 AM.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 03:06 PM

Seems like a lot of delayed Jet Blue flights lately.. Makes for a very tough day, having to go home and then being delayed by hours and hours. Our last Delta flight, we didn't land at our home airport until approximately 1 AM, then two hours drive home.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 03:06 PM

For sure. What a bad way to end a nice trip.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by dcarol

I was on the 11/15 flight and it landed early. I’m not liking this later arrival. Seems to be more issues with the later departure of after 4:00pm.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/21/2019 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by kim
Originally Posted by dcarol

I was on the 11/15 flight and it landed early. I’m not liking this later arrival. Seems to be more issues with the later departure of after 4:00pm.

You are right.

The later departure is one of the reasons, I was looking at Delta, but they cut the direct flight out for our date.
Posted By: pat

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 12:22 AM

It’s no big secret that JB hasn’t been my preferred carrier in the past but at least we had reached a bit of an impasse and I was tolerating the little missteps that seemed to happen with regularity.

Yesterday, and please forgive me for my terminology, was IMHO a total $hit $how.

We should have assumed there’d be issues when we heard the FLL flight was diverted to San Juan. Reason given, “JB cares about the safety and well-being of their passengers and deemed it unsafe to land in the winds around a SXM” I guess AA, Air France, Air Caribe and countless other carriers don’t have these concerns for their patrons since they were all able to land safely and take off again in the same basic time frame.

And then it was our turn.

Basically JB used the same story for our flight only it got worse. After our flight finally arrived on SXM, they announced they were sending us to San Juan, too, where we would depart at midnight local time for JFK after the new flight crew arrived. They couldn’t answer any status questions; they were unable to tell us where we would do C & I and when I suggested if we were landing and deplaning in San Juan wouldn’t we have to do it there the flight attendants didn’t know.

And once on the ground in PR it was even worse as there was no one there directing us or at least giving us the protocol and when we asked at various different JB staffed counters, they all had answers and most of them were wrong. We finally found someone who directed us to the TSA area and from that point it got better. But not much. When we eventually got to the gate that knew our story, they told us we’d be on the same plane in our same seats and would use our same boarding passes. I guess the gate agent was feeling the wrath so he ordered pizzas for us so at about 10:00 we were each given a slice of tepid pizza and a glass of sprite or water so at least we knew they were trying and their intentions were good.

We boarded around midnight local time for a straight shot into JFK where at least we didn’t have to deal with C & I and were able to access our luggage and head to our final destinations. We located our driver and headed home, the good news being, at least at that time of night there’s not a lot of traffic to deal with. And that was the only good news. We arrived at our home in CT at 5:00 am CT time. All of which I’m sure has much to do with why we’re so exhausted and cranky tonight.

And the reason I’m so irritated about all this is because I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time something like this has happened and all they had to do was have one informed staff PR person meet the plane and tell us where to go and what to do rather than leaving us all to our own devices to tour much of the San Juan Airport needlessly. A simple directive of go to Carousel # whatever and claim your bags; Go to C & I and answer the questions; recheck your baggage; proceed to and pass through TSA and then go to Gate whatever and wait for your flight.

Nah, that would have been too easy! There! I got that off my chest and I’m done!

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 12:29 AM

Glad you got back but sorry for the problems. While I have never had the opportunity to fly JetBlue, if one flies enough on ANY airline, there will eventually be problems. As I have stated more than a few times, JetBlue is not the darling they once were or made out to be by some.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 12:35 AM

Sorry to hear you had such a bad trip coming home. No idea why certain planes could land and not others. Jet Blue does seem to have had a LOT of issues with delayed flights lately..

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 01:00 AM

I believe JB mentioned they will be giving some sort of compensation for the inconvenience yesterday but as I’ve often stated - it’s not the problem itself but the manner in which it’s handled that makes the difference.

These things can and do happen with most larger carriers on occasion but I firmly believe, had this been handled differently it would have been so much more tolerable.

And I forget to mention, one of our shipped suitcases was damaged somewhere between SXM and JFK. There were no JB baggage people there to speak to at 3 am so I guess it’s just too bad for me.

Note to self - just for hahas, call JB about damaged bag tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 01:56 AM

I agree, it's not necessarily what happens, but how they handle it.

And it's odd how that happens, about damaged bags. We had not had a bag damaged in a long time by the airlines. But when we were delayed by 4 hours on Delta last year, when we arrived in Orlando at 1 AM, we saw our bag was damaged. Since we had a two hour drive going home it was like 'par for the course', let's just go home and go to sleep. And no, we didn't call Delta the next day. I've always heard you had to complain at the time, in order to get any compensation.. I hope you are able to get something from Jet Blue, on both accounts.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 01:58 AM

No airline is exempt from a total you know what.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 04:38 AM

Did everyone on your flight even properly clear the inbound C&I check in SJU? If you were finding JB counters, then were you beyond the the C&I area, no?

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 10:23 AM

I would follow up on the damaged bag. It has been 4 years but I had a bag (zipper) damaged while on Delta. I filed the claim and much to my surprise, they were very good about resolving the situation.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 11:55 AM

Yes, we cleared customs and immigration and from that point on it was anybody’s guess. My point is this surely isn’t the first tie this has happened and they need to have a better way of dealing with it.

Oh, and I also find it odd the only two planes which were unable to land In that time frame were both JB flights. The gate agents in SXM were clearly overwhelmed by it all and couldn’t even manage to keep the flight numbers straight when they were making their status announcements which didn’t help at all to ease any of the chaos or confusion.

It’s over and done with now but I sincerely hope they will figure it all out. It certainly did put a very negative last recollection of an otherwise lovely trip.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 12:42 PM

Each airline sets their own operational limits for things like wind speed, etc. and JetBlue’s do seem to be lower than the other airlines at SXM. I was listening to air traffic control a couple of months ago when Air France was landing and JetBlue decided to divert to St Lucia.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 12:51 PM

The decision to divert was likely made by the JetBlue SysOps center in Long Island City, and when the decision to divert the Inbound FLL flight was made, it was more likely that the inbound JFK was going to be diverted as well. I’m not familiar with JetBlues internal policies and protocols, but it would have been a safety-related decision.

AA’s dispatchers in Dallas, and Air France’s wherever they’re located, either had different information, or different policies and protocols. Given the wind and rain that I experienced on Wednesday afternoon (almost an inch and a half of rain in a 3-hour period, sheets of rain blowing through, and less than 1/4 mile visibility) I would have been just fine with JetBlue’s decision to divert, as I’m sure that you would have been too.

For your flight, the return out of SXM, it sounds like a total communications failure on JetBlue’s part. You should have been better informed in SXM, and you should have been better informed in SJU. That failure is worth a letter to JetBlue. You may not get anything in the way of compensation, but you will have been heard, and they may actually do something to improve similar situations in the future. SJU’s signage could be better too. I don’t recall much in the way of signs directing passengers from the C&I exit to the TSA security checkpoint.

When things go well, clearing in SJU can be a dream compared to JFK. I’m inbound through SJU 3-4 times a year, and rarely spend more than 5-10 minutes in C&I. It helps that I know the SJU airport, know where the central TSA checkpoint is, and have an airline lounge to hangout in. (I probably wouldn’t have used the lounge in your situation - better to be close to the gate when the airline’s communication is poor.)

Your frustration with your experience is understandable. JetBlue dropped the ball. They should have done better,

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bahston
Your frustration with your experience is understandable. JetBlue dropped the ball. They should have done better,

And that is exactly the point of my whine and thank you for getting it!

Will I fly JB again? I’m sure I will? Will I book my JB tickets with trepidation? For sure!

But in the end, we had a great two weeks and it’s just too bad the last memory will be a negative one thanks to JB. .

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/22/2019 02:03 PM

Bahston--I have to think that you are, or were, involved in the airline industry? Thank you for the information regarding a situation that most people, me included, have no clue about what actually goes on, with regard to a decision to divert.

Pat--so sorry that your trip ended up at it did, and a concise letter written to Jet Blue, with your talent for tact, hopefully might yield some good results for you and for those unfortunate enough to have a similar situation in the future.
Posted By: crsxm

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/23/2019 01:53 AM

We had an interesting flight home in July on Jet Blue. We made the turn by Sunset Beach Bar and began barreling down the runway when all of sudden the pilot threw the brakes on. Needless to say, stuff went flying and for a few seconds which felt like minutes, I thought we were going to flip over. The pilot then came on and said there was an oil sensor that went off. He wasn't sure if it was just a sensor issue or whether we had in fact lost all oil pressure. We went back to the gate and sat for a couple of hours. Unfortunately there were no technicians on the ground in St. Maarten who could assist in determining the cause or fix the issue. Finally the folks in NY cleared the plane to take off calling it a faulty sensor. As we took off and made that first turn which for some reason was exceptionally sharp that night, I think everyone on the plane said a silent prayer hoping they were right. We arrived at JFK well past our scheduled arrival time. As for damaged luggage, I purchase most of my luggage from e-bags and they offer a lifetime warranty on the bags. On our trip this past October, one of our bags ended up with a small crack. Their customer service is great, replacement bag is on the way. Perhaps your luggage has its own warranty? I agree with Carol, it's worth a letter to Jet Blue regarding your flight and the luggage.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/23/2019 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
OK, what a nightmare.

For future reference everyone, even though the airport does not currently have wifi, which they were supposed to have, as of several months ago, the bar and Dominos both DO have wifi for their patrons. Do NOT believe what the airline is telling you. Check on your flight yourself, so that you actually know what is really going on. We heard from the bartender that the airlines in SXM routinely lie to pax and tell them it will be another 30 minutes, another 30 minutes, etc..

Not just SXM, it's SOP everywhere, from my experience...

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/23/2019 11:45 AM

Hey we were on that same July flight. To offer a different recollection, there were mechanics on the ground to troubleshoot the issue. They also drained and changed the oil in the engine. But there wasn’t a new oil pressure sensor there so they couldn’t fix the actual problem.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/23/2019 11:53 AM

On the other hand, I've been on probably 10 or more JB flights in recent months, including last minute and changing itineraries, and all have been perfect with good customer service. It's a roll of the dice with any airline.

Re: Jet blue check in - 11/23/2019 01:35 PM

I've not had much in the way of flight delays to deal with, thankfully, but it just reinforces my point--DON'T count on the airline to give you correct information. Check on the status of the flight YOURSELF. In SXM, spend a couple bucks and buy a pizza or a drink and get wifi from the bar or Domino's and help YOURSELF.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline