TravelTalkOnline

Something to hide during elections?

Posted By: deputydog1157

Something to hide during elections? - 12/06/2019 11:05 PM

Here's an article about SXM not wanting observers during their elections. It makes it look like they have something to hide and based upon the many corruption scandals there, I'd have to agree. When will they learn that if they have nothing to hide and embrace outside observers, maybe their reputation will change. I doubt it based on the fact that it's been more than 2 years since Irma nd they still haven't got the airport money for lack of instituting the integrity chamber. This is just ridiculous, IMO.

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/93044-st-maarten-refuses-election-observers-the-hague-critical
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Something to hide during elections? - 12/06/2019 11:27 PM

No surprise.They don't want any over site. They can't even bring themselves to sign off on an integrity commission.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Something to hide during elections? - 12/06/2019 11:29 PM

The airport issue is just one what many I’m sure would say is a national disgrace. You would think also an embarrassment for the SXM government. It just seems to me that airport should have been long ago fixed and open but you got a bunch of the same old ego filled seemingly corrupt politicians fighting over control of the money so nothing happens. So they delay delay delay issue after issue all while crapping on their own countrys future. Shocking that the locals don't speak up more to this outranges behavior and lack of real action or results. The Dutch must be totally disgusted with what seems to be greed or is it just Gov incompetence...or both. Lets hope someone is really able or cares to get this done soon. SXM is a lovely island and people and. they deserve a lot better.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Something to hide during elections? - 12/07/2019 01:58 PM

The PM says they don't object to the observers, just the cost, stating that SXM can't afford the cost of the observers. Says they would welcome the observers if SXM did not have to pay the cost for it. Link

That is probably BS, that they would welcome the observers, but it's a good reason to not agree to it.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Something to hide during elections? - 12/07/2019 04:09 PM

Wonder what the cost would be?

https://www.osce.org/odihr/elections/how-to-become-an-election-observer
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline