TravelTalkOnline

Elections on Island - on both Sides?

Posted By: PelicanPirate

Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/21/2019 05:44 PM

Been watching alot of locals facebook videos, very interesting to here about things and viewpoints. But I get confused alot between Dutch and French local leaders.

There in an election 8-10 Januaryish? Is is Dutch side, French side or both. I got confused listening to this one candidate.

We always use terms French and Dutch but alot of these locals talk in terms of North (Fr) and South (NL). Alot of them attribute issues to local leaders who have to deal with European mother country reps. Many of them express desire to rid of their “mothers” and united North and South.

Finally, many are contending that French govt has not helped restore one roof since hurricane.

Who is Minister Lee?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/21/2019 05:47 PM

Election in January is Dutch side only.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/21/2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
B

Who is Minister Lee?

If you Google "Emil Lee St Maarten" you'll find links to several Dutch-side web articles.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/21/2019 07:51 PM

I like the guy whose slogan is simply "He is a good man". If I lived there, that would get my vote.

Re: Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/22/2019 02:07 PM

Ok, thanks.

Lot of interesting views. I think these locals “get it”. A lot of locals are well educated and I think they want to get control of the island both from the locals who havent been so good and the far away powers.

And also, united North and South.

Re: Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/22/2019 02:09 PM

Pelican--a politically united French and Dutch sides will never happen, in our lifetimes.

Re: Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/22/2019 05:34 PM

Probably. While we think it is neat culturally and adds to our vacation appeal, picture any other island of that size deciding to have two govts, two penal codes, two police forces, teo garbage dumps, two electric comanies, two water companies, two building codes, and on and on.

The locals are onto this and starting to see themselves as single islanders.

The hurricane has amplified the differences.

The folks are smarter each generation and I can the future more likely to merge than to perpetuate status quo.

Re: Elections on Island - on both Sides? - 12/22/2019 07:02 PM

In many ways, I think that locals on SXM consider themselves to be one island, but in many others, not. Like I said, it will not happen in my lifetime.. As much trouble as the Dutch side has, forming a government, can you imagine a government for the whole island?? duh No...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline