TravelTalkOnline

conch Fritters

Posted By: downhillracer

conch Fritters - 01/06/2020 07:56 PM

Who has the best conch fritters on the island?
Posted By: arehouse

Re: conch Fritters - 01/06/2020 11:01 PM

Obviously you can’t get them now, but we always enjoyed the conch fritters at Papagayo
Posted By: RonDon

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 01:27 AM

Try the Accra if you can't get conch. La Main et Pate Marina Royal has good ones. Prior to Irma Sunset Cafe at Grand Case Beach Club had them and they were great. Not sure if they still do because there's a new chef there.
Posted By: AUCspouse

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 11:16 AM

Conch fritters are more common in the Bahamas than on St. Maarten / St. Martin. Ron is making a good suggestion -- try "accras de morue," which are salt cod fritters.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 12:02 PM

We have stopped for accras every time before going to the airport to fly back home. It's my way of keeping the flavor as a memory until the next trip. I first discovered them in Portugal, in of all places, a bakery, and was pleasantly surprised to find similar in SXM.

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 02:00 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I know they are rare, we used to get them at BooBoo Jams years ago.
Posted By: badbenni

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 02:47 PM

NO WHERE SPECIAL has a lot of Conch items on their menu and their Johnnycakes are delicious as well. I had a conch wrap the other day there and it was very good.

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 03:50 PM

Where is No where Special
Posted By: weeks5051

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by downhillracer
Where is No where Special

It's near the bridge one or 2 restaurants away from the ST. Martin Yacht Club.

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 04:35 PM

Thanks we will check it out
Posted By: cruzer

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 08:53 PM

I don't recall many places that offer conch fritters, but I do know they have them at L' Escargot. I can't say they were tastier than accras, but IMO, the differences in either accras or conch fritters is primarily in the batter, not the meat--usually sparse. I am a big fan of conch fritters., though.

We really like their conch salad-made with raw conch as it should be, and their conch chowder, which is more like a bisque than a chowder. They might only offer this at lunch, so you might want to check with them.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 08:59 PM

I don't think there is a conch fritter that will ever compete with the ones we had in Key West.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 09:03 PM

Marks place when he was in the Cul de Sac in French Quarter near Mount Vernon had fritters on the menu and they were good! Someone should ask him if he can bring them back to put on the menu. I liked that place so much we ate there so many times.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 09:04 PM

No idea if they are the "best" as that is subjective but The Greenhouse has them on their online menu.

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 10:00 PM

Good to know. Greenhouse food is always good. I'll have to give them a try and see how they compare to ones I've had on Key West.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: conch Fritters - 01/07/2020 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
No idea if they are the "best" as that is subjective but The Greenhouse has them on their online menu.

They also have conch soup/chowder at the Greenhouse--very good.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: conch Fritters - 01/08/2020 12:14 AM

Hubby has had them at Mary's Boon.

And maybe the Yacht Club? Or are those Grouper?

I can attest to how good everything is at Nowhere Special. The Johnny Cakes are awesome, and come out like bread for the table! wink
Posted By: jeepers

Re: conch Fritters - 01/08/2020 01:51 AM

Is L'escargot open?
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: conch Fritters - 01/08/2020 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
I don't think there is a conch fritter that will ever compete with the ones we had in Key West.

How right you are! Also Prove in Turks and Caicos had some of the best I have ever eaten.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: conch Fritters - 01/08/2020 03:05 AM

Sorry, meant Provo.

Re: conch Fritters - 01/08/2020 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jeepers
Is L'escargot open?

Pretty sure they are no longer open.
Posted By: fritzks

Re: conch Fritters - 01/08/2020 01:01 PM

Just had the fritters at the Greenhouse on Monday, really good. Also, they have a nice conch chowder.
Posted By: sxmmm1987

Re: conch Fritters - 01/22/2020 08:09 PM

Mary's Boon has great conch fritters. We used to love the ones at Beirut but had them about a week and they are all filler. I believe they used to be made on the property but these were clearly frozen.
Posted By: JohnInAL

Re: conch Fritters - 01/22/2020 11:45 PM

Pineapple Pete’s has decent fritters.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: conch Fritters - 01/23/2020 11:38 AM

No fritters on the menu at Yacht Club.
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: conch Fritters - 01/23/2020 03:01 PM

Turtle Pier had the best Conch Fritters I had in SXM. Had them at Nowhere Special in July and they were still good. I figured they would be since it’s all in the Family!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: conch Fritters - 01/24/2020 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by RICKnGRACE_LI_NY
Turtle Pier had the best Conch Fritters I had in SXM. Had them at Nowhere Special in July and they were still good. I figured they would be since it’s all in the Family!

Same chef, Shadow!

Re: conch Fritters - 01/24/2020 10:31 AM

Lee's has them on the menu. There is a new topic post with a link to Lee's menu.
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: conch Fritters - 01/24/2020 09:25 PM

Is L'escargot open?

No. Didn't reopen after Irma. Joel and Sonya had been talking about closing up shop before Irma, and I guess that was the last straw. They are missed.

Re: conch Fritters - 01/25/2020 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlueGreenWater
Is L'escargot open?

No. Didn't reopen after Irma. Joel and Sonya had been talking about closing up shop before Irma, and I guess that was the last straw. They are missed.

To bad. They are nice people. After I noticed his miniature liquor bottle collection I brought him about 50 various bottles I had duplicated in my collection for him. He was so grateful he dropped off a bottle of his homemade rum in a handpainted bottle by Sonya. Rum is long gone but still have the bottle.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline