TravelTalkOnline

Phone

Posted By: bigkahona

Phone - 01/09/2020 07:35 PM

I will be in St Marteen for 5 weeks I can buy a 3G phone for $50 here at Best Buy.What are the pro and cons of buying it here and using it in St Marteen.Miss my old friend Sharon for rentals
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bigkahona
I will be in St Marteen for 5 weeks I can buy a 3G phone for $50 here at Best Buy.What are the pro and cons of buying it here and using it in St Marteen.Miss my old friend Sharon for rentals

Make sure it is an unlocked phone.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 09:00 PM

We used whatsap to communicate. to back home and local calls.

No extrs costs.

Wendell
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 09:20 PM

Make sure 3G works in SXM. I seem to remember that a 4G was needed.
Posted By: kim

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 09:49 PM

I have an iPhone 7 with an island number. But honestly my phone in CT worked fine in most places. I kept cellular data off and hooked up with Wi-Fi where ever I was. With Verizon you can use “Wi-Fi calling” so you can call anywhere on Wi-Fi with no charge.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 10:23 PM

Exactly....that's been discussed MANY times . That's my go to

..but...full disclosure..it only works when you have wifi...won't work in the car if that's what you want ...AND ....making a SXM local call on wifi WILL have a charge attached..not a biggie but should be upfront with it

Calling the USA or getting calls from the USA (convenient home cell number) works great and zip charge, I've used it in many countries

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 10:40 PM

Hmm. Verizon told me I can call anywhere on Wi-Fi and it won’t cost? I’ll see what my bill says and report back next month. I just “googled” and what I read isn’t what I was told!!! So we shall see just what the cost is!
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Exactly....that's been discussed MANY times . That's my go to

..but...full disclosure..it only works when you have wifi...won't work in the car if that's what you want ...AND ....making a SXM local call on wifi WILL have a charge attached..not a biggie but should be upfront with it

Calling the USA or getting calls from the USA (convenient home cell number) works great and zip charge, I've used it in many countries

AT&T has a similar app called AT&T Smart Wi-Fi. I'm sure other carriers have the same capacity.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Phone - 01/09/2020 11:20 PM

In addition to WiFi calling, most of the major carriers have some kind of “day pass” where you only pay if you use the phone for non-WiFi voice and data. AT&T offers it for $10 per day. It was nice to know we had it in case of emergency while driving around. But we only used it on our last day at the airport.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 12:36 AM

Verizon has the 10.00 day pass too. WhatsApp works great on island. Used widly by many locals and restaurants also. Just need WiFi and the person your calling has to have the app too.

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 12:37 PM

Hmm. Verizon told me I can call anywhere on Wi-Fi and it won’t cost? I’ll see what my bill says and report back next month

Yup...that's what I thought and maybe it was a glitch but when I was in Aruba and called the car rental place it cost me a tad under two bucks which was still cheaper than the $10/day plan. With that said I did just find this:

Does Verizon WiFi calling work internationally?
You can make and receive calls over Wi-Fi even if you're outside the Verizon network coverage area. Wi-Fi calls always originate in the US, even when you're outside of the US. ... Calls to international numbers are billed according to your international long distance plan.

But, again, all calls to the USA and from contacts in the USA are no charge

...and...you can go online and check your current charges and not have to wait for a bill
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 01:44 PM

If you have an unlocked phone that you use at home, you can purchase a Chippie sim card and swap it out on the island. The best place to do that is at Tech Hub in the Carrefour store at the roundabout in Philipsburg (next to Mark's). WiFi is great, but if you're in the car and have an emergency, you can't make a call. And WiFi on the island isn't very reliable in many places.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 02:08 PM

Kim, we used WIFI calling and there is a charge for a local call.
I think it was around $2 to call a restaurant. Otherwise it worked great for us.
Next time I will use WhatsApp, since they say most businesses have it.

My phone also has the $10 plan set up on it for emergencies. I keep it on Airplane Mode, the same as shutting off Cellular data, I believe.
The question I have is do you turn off Airplane Mode, when you need to use it for the $10 plan?
I don't want it to start roaming and have further charges.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 02:34 PM

When I was in SXM I left my Verizon serviced Galaxy S7 phone in airplane mode and just turned on wi-fi. I needed to call home and we were not within wi-fi reception so I had to take it off airplane mode to make the call. I left it out of airplane mode the rest of the day and texted. Since it is for a 24 hour period I figured I'd use my hone as usual and I made sure to go back to airplane mode before the 24 hour period expired. My next month's bill showed only the additional $10 charge.
Posted By: CaribJoe

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 02:40 PM

I was recently in SXM with an unlocked 3G phone which I thought would work with a Chippie SIM card. The Tech Hub phone store at Carrefore supermarket next to Mark's Place said that although a minimum of 3G was required, my phone was designed for US use only. I ended up buying their cheapest phone with SIM card for $70., which included about 30 minutes of time. The SIM card expires in 30 days and can only be topped up by you (or someone on your behalf with your number) while on island. A replacement SIM card alone was said to cost $25. Hope this was helpful.

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 02:59 PM

The prices of a SIM card can vary from place to place. I found them from around $18 to as high as $30 and all included some time. UTS had the lowest price on the SIM card and some of the smaller groceries were about the same price ($18-$20). Tech Hub is very helpful and knowledgeable and was one of the few places that had a working "Topup Card" machine in the past, although I found more of the machines available in March. If you can find a "Topup Card" you can remotely add funds to your phone and keep the number active. You put funds on the card and transfer to your phone. The SIM/number used to be good for 60 days (as is mine) and all you had to do was add $1 every 58 days or so and your SIM and number are good to go.
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 05:11 PM

If you spend a lot of time on the French side, you may want to consider a French SIM card for your unlocked phone. They are available from Dauphin Telecom

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by The_Lurker

My phone also has the $10 plan set up on it for emergencies. I keep it on Airplane Mode, the same as shutting off Cellular data, I believe.
The question I have is do you turn off Airplane Mode, when you need to use it for the $10 plan?
I don't want it to start roaming and have further charges.

Exactly as DeputyDog said...ten bucks for the 24 hour period so you my as well leave it on for the day and then put it back in Airplane mode

The emergency backup is well worth it if you need the phone away from a wifi signal and costs nothing unless you have to use it...

Another full disclosure....with wifi calling we were not able to access our voicemails...we just called the person back since it showed as a missed call anyway
Posted By: candj

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 07:55 PM

We went to UTS store to find a SIM card for a Samsung Galaxy S4 and were told it had to be a Samsung 5 or higher to effectively use a SIM card.

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by candj
We went to UTS store to find a SIM card for a Samsung Galaxy S4 and were told it had to be a Samsung 5 or higher to effectively use a SIM card.

I am by no means a smart phone expert but my Samsung Galaxy J2 Core works just fine on SXM. I bought the phone March 2019 at Boolchands and got the SIM card at the UTS store in Philipsburg, it worked just fine in Nov. 2019 also.

Re: Phone - 01/10/2020 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by candj

I recommend going to tech hub in Carrefour mkt. I have found the sales people at UTS to be less then knowledgeable.
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 03:56 AM

Were you able to text with the UTS sim card? I purchased a Chippie card last January and was not able to text to the USA. Are you able to use the Samsung Galaxy J2 in the USA? Heading back to SXM 1/18/20 for a month and would like to be able to text to family at home. Thanks

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by johnhill
Were you able to text with the UTS sim card? I purchased a Chippie card last January and was not able to text to the USA. Are you able to use the Samsung Galaxy J2 in the USA? Heading back to SXM 1/18/20 for a month and would like to be able to text to family at home. Thanks

Sorry, I can not help you on the texting part as I do not text much at home (flip phone) to begin with. Perhaps someone else on here can help with that or I would direct you to Tech Hub, perhaps even message Tech Hub via their facebook page. TECH HUB

The phone is a dual SIM and unlocked so it should work in the US. I have my local carrier's SIM for it but have not activated it as I still prefer my old flip phone. Many on here use a dual SIM card phone and do so both in the US and on the island. You can buy the same phone on Amazon or on the island for around $80-$100, current price. Prices were all over the place on the island. I paid $105 for the phone and a case and the SIM was $18 at UTS.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 01:10 PM

Yes. You just need to turn on data on your phone. I never could and popped into the Mailbox and they showed me what to do. Well they did if for me!!!
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 01:30 PM

Mailbox is super helpful (at least for me they were). These are the instructions to enable data on your Chippie SIM for the first time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CaribJoe, you don’t have to be on island to keep your phone number active. As Rural said, you can get a TopUp card and add $1 every so often….OR…remember to go to the Chippie site and keep extending the time. Click check phone expiration, and if it is within two weeks you may extend it:

http://buychippieonline.com/faq.aspx
Posted By: CaribJoe

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 01:54 PM

I, too, wasn't able to text to the US with the Chippie SIM card.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 02:25 PM

Hmm. I just looked at my island phone I have an iPhone 7. I had open “cellular”. Opened Cellular Data Network, went to APN and typed PREMIUM. Then was able to text my son in the US.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 04:31 PM

Exactly!

And Carib...you have to actually do something on your phone to activate the data portion. And don't forget to dial the international number to the US.

I even used my cell at the airport to create a hotspot for my laptop while we waited for the flight home.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 05:28 PM

BeachKitten--just sit and drink at the bar at the airport and get free wifi from them! toast

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 05:31 PM

Last trip I used the free airport wifi...albiet slow. Wife talked to he sister in Memphis for about 45 minutes...using whatsap

W.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 05:58 PM

I needed a secure connection to make some banking transfers. wink

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 07:51 PM

Oh, different issue..
Posted By: johnhill

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 07:52 PM

Kim; Thanks-does MAilbox in Simpson Bay sell the Chippie sim cards?

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 08:10 PM

Yes, they do sell the SIM cards but were one of the more expensive places. $30 from what I recall but if you are close, go there.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 08:15 PM

Kim; Thanks-does MAilbox in Simpson Bay sell the Chippie sim cards?

Yes. I don’t remember the cost but they were very convenient.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 10:45 PM

Good information. I have been a Verizon customer for years but recently changed to Straight Talk. In years past, I used wifi calling to call/receive calls from the US. Straight talk does not offer calling outside the US (or US territories) and I understand that wifi calling will not work as well. So.....I'm looking at purchasing a phone to bring with me, purchase a local sim card and use this phone while in St. Maarten. I want to make sure I purchase a phone that will work with the local sim card. I know the phone must be unlocked. Does it matter if it is a GSM or CDMA phone? I understand GSM is used in most countries outside the US so I'm assuming that would be the choice. Do I need to worry about sim card size? Many sim cards now are sold with adaptors so they work in standard, micro and nano sizes. I do plan on purchasing a 4g LTE phone so that won't be an issue. Anything else I need to take into account when purchasing a phone? Thanks in advance.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 10:59 PM

I should add, I don't need data. Just want a phone I can call and text back to the states and make local (SintMaarten/Saint Martin) calls.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
I should add, I don't need data. Just want a phone I can call and text back to the states and make local (SintMaarten/Saint Martin) calls.

A compatible smartphone is required: double check if you have a smartphone device with the following frequencies: 3G/4G: 700/800/900 MHz

Several trips ago before I decided I wanted data and to use one of my old iPhones, I bought an unlocked phone (dual sim) on Amazon SUPER inexpensive. Just be sure it is compatible via the above. wink

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Yes, they do sell the SIM cards but were one of the more expensive places. $30 from what I recall but if you are close, go there.

Sounds like the one in Carrefour by Marks is the way to go. For price.

I've also bought one at the UTS/Chippie store in P-burg. Topped up the card there as well. Was very inexpensive.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 11:25 PM

Yep.

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 11:37 PM

One thing youmight yo keep in mind. Your not in the US any more. So any internet connection goes througj a local carrier. Phone connection s too.

Wendrll

Re: Phone - 01/11/2020 11:51 PM

Thanks for the info BeachKitten. Does the phone just need to work with one of those three frequencies (700/800 or 900 mhz)? Or does it need to list all three?

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 12:01 AM

Just one.

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 12:48 AM

Thanks.

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 11:47 AM

Do I need to worry about sim card size? Many sim cards now are sold with adaptors so they work in standard, micro and nano sizes.

The Chippie SIM card I bought at UTS (and I am pretty sure it would be the same no matter where purchased) had all 3 sizes on the card. You just break out the size needed and you are good to go. They put the SIM card in the phone for me at UTS and made sure everything worked. Tech Hub would do the same as probably The Mailbox would also if the person working is knowledgeable.

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 01:26 PM

Thanks. I thought that would be the case but wanted to make sure. Appreciate all the advice.

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 01:50 PM

I bought a DOGEE rehab phone on Amazon for about 65$. Worked fine in SXM with UTS card.

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 02:02 PM

Looking on Amazon, I can get the BLU Advance S5 HD – Unlocked Single Sim Smartphone, 16GB+1GB RAM -Black for 50 bucks. Unlocked and works on any GSM system. Among others, works on 4g LTE band 28 which corresponds to 700 MHz. Does anyone know why this phone would not work? Thanks in advance.

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 02:24 PM

Here is the SIM card. You can see it is a multi sized card.

Attached picture 2020-01-12_092311.jpg

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 02:28 PM

Do you have an older phone at home that is not in use? Even my old iPhone 4 worked with the chipper sim. I just stopped using it when I got a newer iPhone and moved my sim to my 7. I bet If you ask friends and family they may have a phone kicking around

Re: Phone - 01/12/2020 04:12 PM

I have two hanging around! lol....and isn't it so funny how heavy and thick they are? Compared to our latest iPhones? shocked

Re: Phone - 01/13/2020 12:29 PM

Good suggestion. I have several old phones lying around. Will see if I have one that still operates effectively.
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Phone - 01/15/2020 10:12 PM

Speaking as a "computer/phone dummy", I am taking my current phone (LG -x4) on my upcoming SXM trip. My carrier is Spectrum. I called them today and they said I can make calls on St Maarten for .$0.50/call . I intend to use my laptop for wifi communication on Island. I realize that wifi won't work in car.
Does this all sound correct or am I missing something?

Re: Phone - 01/15/2020 10:14 PM

Norm--I don't know anything about Spectrum, but I suspect if they said $.50, they meant $.50 per MINUTE.

Re: Phone - 01/15/2020 11:58 PM

I would call Spectrum back and see if you get the same answer.

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 12:31 AM

Sounds to good to be true. I would call again and request that info in an email return to you or a text stating it's .50 a call.

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SXMNorm
Speaking as a "computer/phone dummy", I am taking my current phone (LG -x4) on my upcoming SXM trip. My carrier is Spectrum. I called them today and they said I can make calls on St Maarten for .$0.50/call . I intend to use my laptop for wifi communication on Island. I realize that wifi won't work in car.
Does this all sound correct or am I missing something?

I found this rate sheet for Spectrum. Not really sure how to read it but it looks like 7 cents per minute (which sounds too good to be true) but I would still contact Spectrum for clarification. If these are the rates, they appear to be pretty decent.

Spectrum Rate Sheet Scroll to Netherlands Antilles.

Or go to the link below and enter "Netherlands Antilles"

Spectrum International

It does appear one may have to call Spectrum to turn on the international option.

Spectrum FAQ

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 12:21 PM

From that rate sheet calls made "while visiting" St. Maarten are 25 cents a minute with 10 cents/text and 25 cents per MB data. So all your texts and emails you normally get at home on that phone you will pay for

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 12:23 PM

But, it appears rates drop with the Feb. billing statement. Not sure when Norm is going to be on the island.

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 12:24 PM

Good point...and they are SIGNIFICANT drops in prices
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 02:22 PM

1/23-2/11, JD. I did call Spectrum back yesterday. Got the 7 cent a minute call price. Will call again to confirm everything mentioned here including International call connection. Thanks for all the help.

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 03:51 PM

I just looked at my most recent Verizon bill. Calls I made to SXM from the US on “Wi-Fi” were billed as 5 minutes and the cost was 7.96. Pretty steep. I do know if I had called from my Spectrum home
Phone it would have been much less. But when on the island calling back to the US, when on Wi-Fi there was no charge. It’s a business account so I can’t see “live” but when I bill out it will show me what the cost was calling on Wi-Fi while in SXM to locations in SXM.

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 04:06 PM

Yep. pretty good deal if it is as it appears?

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by kim
I just looked at my most recent Verizon bill. Calls I made to SXM from the US on “Wi-Fi” were billed as 5 minutes and the cost was 7.96. Pretty steep. I do know if I had called from my Spectrum home
Phone it would have been much less. But when on the island calling back to the US, when on Wi-Fi there was no charge. It’s a business account so I can’t see “live” but when I bill out it will show me what the cost was calling on Wi-Fi while in SXM to locations in SXM.

Kim, I don't know why you were charged on a WIFI call to SXM.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 08:54 PM

Kim- I use WIFI calling while in SXM because I need to make calls for work. It works great from our villa where the WIFI service is good.

When WIFI calling, the phone assumes your are in your home country. Therefore I can call home from SXM as if it is a local call and people in the US can call me.

I do NOT make any calls to local SXM places. They will be charged as if you are calling SXM from the US.

Last year, my brother in law did not realize this and used my phone to make several local calls. They were billed to me and weren't cheap.

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 09:03 PM

I use WhatsApp for local calls on island. If the number your calling has WhatsApp on their phone it will show up in your contacts.

Re: Phone - 01/16/2020 11:05 PM

Wifi calling, as mentioned, is no cost to the USA and no cost for callers to you from the USA. If I called the Peli Deli from SBR it would be an international call. If I call California from SBR there would be no charge

I have received (in SXM) maybe 5 calls from contacts in the USA this week...no issues EXCEPT you will not have access to voicemail. It will show a missed call and you can call them back

Re: Phone - 01/17/2020 02:30 AM

Again. I use whatsapp. no charges locally in SXM or to the States. Also my phone is Republic Wireless which is WIFI based with Sprint backup for non WIFI connection here in the States $22 a month. BUT when I am out of the country AND at a WIFI connection the phone works as I was in the US. Calls to my local number come to me where ever I am. I can call out to any US number. Out of the country numbers won't work. But then whatsapp solves that problem.

there is no extra phone to buy. No extra chip to buy. No additional billing

Wendell

Re: Phone - 01/17/2020 04:10 AM

Yep. WhatsApp is a great app.

Re: Phone - 01/17/2020 12:10 PM

YUp...whatsapp is great IF the person you are calling also has the app

..........wifi calling works great to anyone and does not need an app on either end...just a wifi signal

..........Verizon Travel Pass i(or similar) is worth getting to use in cases where your HAVE to make a call....$10/24 hour period if used

..........the Spectrum plan sounds decent if it is as presented

Re: Phone - 01/17/2020 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda

Wifi calling, as mentioned, is no cost to the USA and no cost for callers to you from the USA. If I called the Peli Deli from SBR it would be an international call. If I call California from SBR there would be no charge

I have received (in SXM) maybe 5 calls from contacts in the USA this week...no issues EXCEPT you will not have access to voicemail. It will show a missed call and you can call them back

Kim said that she was billed on WIFI calls to SXM from the states......

Re: Phone - 01/17/2020 03:30 PM

Kim said that she was billed on WIFI calls to SXM from the states......

If I called the Peli Deli from SBR it would be an international call
SXM is not in the USA thus there is a charge...call the Peli Deli from the USA ...charge....call anywhere in the USA FROM SXM ...no charge...call the US cell phone of a friend staying in SXM...no charge
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline