TravelTalkOnline

Le Piment - A Mixed Experience

Posted By: PelicanPirate

Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 12:25 PM

Le Piment - A Mixed Experience

Made reservationfor 730 and arrived 720 and was immediately seated outside and started looking at their electronic tablet menu. About 730 they had taken our drink order and they arrived within a few minutes.

Then the wait began. Our server was here, there, here, there, here, there. Never made eye contact.

At 800 we are starved and about ready to put cash for the drinks and head to Yellow sub.

At 810 she arrives and takes our order. Quickly thereaftrt, 3 pieces of bread immediately arrives. We really could have used that 25-40 minutes ago. We wolfed that down.

The good part.

We ordered the Capra Salad and the Verone salad. In the digital pics they look petit. About 15 minutes later they arrive. They are HUGE and delicious. Beware, alot if cheese in the capra pastry and the accompanying salad huge. The Verone is camprese, mozzarella + tomatoes and alot of salad. Tons of mozzarella and a whole container of cherry tomatoes.

Then the rain came 3/4 way through the salad we grab our plates and head under awning which broke and came maybe halfway out.
They had us sit down at dirty table and they cleaned it and we finished salads. Very good food. Sad awning.

The rain stopped and they sat a huge group outside the awning covered area.

Our entre’s arrived and they were excellent with a cheese overload. Beef with Gargonzola and Hanger Steak.

Ton of gargonzola. Dont think it added much to the excellent steak so ate most of it separately. Both entre’s came with potatoes au gratin which were good and more cheese. Oh and you get a nice portion of salad with both entrees.

Then the rain came. Now they asked us to move all the way inside so they could take our table for two and make a big table for the group outside the awning that was being dragged under the awning. We grabbed our plates and moved for the second time.

As we ended our last bites, the server who had ignored us for 40+ minutes got real friendly and sat down next to us and asked if we wanted to add a tip before she ran the card.

So, would go back for the food. We would not order the salad and entre as the salads were entrees themselves. Pick one or the other. We’d ask for bread right away and would standup flag them down to get our order taken.

And we would reserve an inside table.

Food great, the rest was an adventure.
Posted By: WCHam

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 01:50 PM

Does the waiter sit down with French and European customers and ask for a tip?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 02:01 PM

We've only eaten there once recently. Food was excellent and service was also. Although I think the server we had is the lady who recently left for another restaurant.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 03:04 PM

Whew, that wasn't a very relaxing dinner! These quick and intense rain showers have been a pain. We haven't had any server ask out right for a tip, although someone did mention that they could only run a card once, so would not be able to add a tip unless it was included at the beginning. I think that was a manager who came to clear our bill not the server.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 04:09 PM

Good thing you're not Lactose intolerant with all that cheese.
Posted By: eric

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by StMartinFan
Whew, that wasn't a very relaxing dinner! These quick and intense rain showers have been a pain. We haven't had any server ask out right for a tip, although someone did mention that they could only run a card once, so would not be able to add a tip unless it was included at the beginning. I think that was a manager who came to clear our bill not the server.

most places in europe bring you the credit card machine to the table and there is no way to add tip once it run. I occasionally do get asked that question if i want to add a tip.When I had dinner in december at la piment i did get asked the same question. I guess you can look at it from 2 viewpoints your an american and they expect a tip .Or its for your convience if you only have large bills and dont want to ask for change on a a tip. I try to remember to have a variety of bills so i can leave a tip in cash usually on french side 10%
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 05:22 PM

Le Piment was the best meal we had on our recent trip. The food and the service were excellent.
Posted By: Tonythepilot

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 05:35 PM

We have always tried to get there by 6:00, before it gets crazy busy. Service is quick then, and we feel the food is the best in the Village.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 05:50 PM

Yep, we just tell them we will add the tip in cash, and then decide about the tip.

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 06:29 PM

I think it's just tacky to even suggest if you want to include a tip whether card or cash.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 06:55 PM

The server in this case seemed to be having some 'issues', but in general, tips are NOT added to credit cards on the French side. Most Americans do ASSUME however, that you can do it there.

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 07:08 PM

Yes. On French side they have always told me I can't add it to my card. Dutch side no problem but I have had some ask for cash not card. Makes it easier to pocket I guess.
Posted By: eric

Re: Le Piment - A Mixed Experience - 01/14/2020 08:38 PM

la villa was the best meal of our week but la piment was a close second the 7hr lamb is amazing
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline