TravelTalkOnline

Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 01:50 AM

Many people here will know Jim Ruos, who owned and operated Caribbean Islands Travel Service, which focused on resorts on Orient Beach, St. Martin, mostly Club Orient. I received an email today from Mary, his wife, and partner for many, many years, stating that Jim passed away at the end of 2019.

We became acquainted with Jim on the old Prodigy bulletin board. We visited SXM many times on cruises before that, but made our first trip for a land vacation to St. Martin in February 1995, staying at Green Cay Villas. After that, there were many trips to Orient Beach, including several to Club Orient, including over the Millenium, Caribbean Princess, L'Hoste, and a bunch of other places through the years, all booked through Jim and Mary. Through it all, Jim and Mary were the consummate professionals, providing us with the best information about travel to St. Martin, and knowing literally EVERYTHING about the places we stayed. Two stories--One time we were on a flight from DC to San Juan, then SJU to SXM. Our flight into SJU was way delayed, and thus our flight onward to SXM. We called Jim from SJU to have him contact our lodging, La Plantation, and let them know we would be delayed. Our plane landed at SXM around midnight. Since all the car rental guys had gone home for the night by that time, we took a cab from the airport to the French side, after a detour for the cab driver to pick up some KFC take-out!! We arrived around 1 AM at La Plantation and were greeted by the manager, who stated that Jim that called them. They gave us our keys and said we could do the formal check in, in the morning.

Second story, we were staying at Caribbean Princess and somehow, it was very important to us how many wine glasses were at the unit. I honestly don't remember now why that was so important!!! So, as compared to telling us we were entirely TOO anal and telling us to screw off!! Jim found out that there were in fact 8 glasses of every kind at the unit, which was the answer we were hoping for. And of course, his information was correct, as always.

Over the years, Jim and Mary became great friends and we enjoyed many lovely times at their home in Virginia, as well as meals at restaurants in the DC area, and were fortunate enough to also spend some time with them in SXM. He and Mary have been great friends over the years, and a joy to have known.

Rest in peace, Jim. Our condolences, Mary. Our thoughts are with you.
Below is the obituary, which I couldn't figure out how to post, other than in three separate images. Sorry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fabila

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 02:31 AM

Sorry to hear of his passing. Our deepest condolences to Mary and his family. We booked our first stay on the French side with Jim. He was a wealth of information and I believe we used his service once more. I reached out to him a few more times and he was very helpful.
Posted By: SXMLovers

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 02:47 AM

So sorry to hear this. We have booked through Jim and Mary. They have always been delightful people. Keeping Mary and family in our prayers.
Russ and Beverly
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 03:00 AM

RIP
Posted By: bran

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 03:03 AM

Very sorry to hear this.....
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 03:16 AM

Lost two friends in the last two weeks that were SXM friends. Clark who was the nicest guy you could meet and Chrissy a pelican timeshare owner who with her husband Vinny were so much fun. Jim RIP...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1991-09-09-1991252053-story.html
Posted By: dm25vac

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 04:00 AM

Sorry to hear this! We also met Jim on the Prodigy board and he booked several trips for us back then and all of our recent trips. He was always a true professional and so friendly. Sending thoughts and prayers to Mary.

Dave and Mary sad
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 04:15 AM

RIP Jim and thanks for the many contributions here

Wendell
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 10:50 AM

Condolences to friends and family.
Posted By: mikeandsandy

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 11:49 AM

Sandy and I used Jim and Mary a number of times over the years, and found their service excellent. Our condolences go out to Mary, and may Jim rest in peace.

Mike and Sandy
Posted By: JohnB

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 01:47 PM

Used Jim and Mary many times over the years and we did met him once on island too. He was a great guy always making sure we were taken care and will be missed.

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 06:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have his obituary, which I couldn't re-configure here. Will post it tomorrow.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 07:04 PM

I don't know him , but condolences with his passing .
Posted By: biglar

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 10:46 PM

Dear sxmmartini, Thanks for the great link you provided about Jim. I had not seen that story before. My wife and I also wish to send our condolences to Mary. I always enjoyed talking with Jim. RIP Jim. He will be missed by many!
Posted By: jomarc

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/19/2020 11:54 PM

We're very sorry to hear this. Jim and Mary were so very helpful with our Orient Beach reservations "back in the day". Our deepest sympathies go out to the Rous family. RIP dear Jim.
Posted By: arehouse

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/20/2020 12:05 AM

We only used Jim once —- on our last trip to Club O. But he treated us as though we were long time clients. Very classy.

Condolences to his family.
Posted By: Coffee

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/20/2020 05:16 AM

Thank you Carol for the info. We used Jim and Mary many times when staying at Club O. They always treated us like family. Condolences to Mary and family. Very sad time.

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/20/2020 02:50 PM

I edited the original post to include Jim's obituary, which includes a link where folks may leave their condolences.
Posted By: Coffee

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/20/2020 05:23 PM

I will send condolences. Our grand daughter married Jacob Comeaux of Youngsville, Louisiana. Will get in touch with them to see if any relationship.
Posted By: RobT

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/22/2020 02:25 PM

I used Jim many times to book trips to Orient Beach. He was always helpful and courteous. He will be missed. I knew he had retired early from the Federal government but did not know story that was in the obituary. We had a common bond in both being retired Feds. Jim just got a full time job when he retired.

Carol, my first trip to St Martin was very similar to your experience, but I did not have the sense to contact Jim. The car rental place was still open, but the gate leading to Orient Beach was closed. I had to find somewhere else to stay at 2am. It was a difficult experience. When I spoke to Jim about it he thought I would not come back to St Martin. I told him no, I would be back. And I used him many time again.
Posted By: Speebs

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/22/2020 03:17 PM

I used Jim over 20 times to book vacations staying at Le Plantation, always very professional, and a very good man to work with.
Posted By: JimRuos

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/23/2020 01:34 AM

Dear Friends,

Thank you all of you for your compliments and condolences regarding Jim and CITS. When Jim begin his business venture into the travel business in 1987, he took two short courses related to beginning a small business... one was a travel business class where he learned he should concentrate in a specialized area and two was never to hire anyone, both of which he followed. (He did have wonderful contract people, Ed and Jim, who worked with us for a number of years. Of course, I was the unpaid employee after I retired from school media services!!!

We had a follow up from the obit editor of the Washington Post who was intrigued with his success in naturist travel on Orient Beach, namely Club Orient. The obit section will have its own write up about Jim concentrating on his travel service following a conversation with our daughter, Carolyn, who so skillfully crafted our family tribute to Jim.

Best wishes to all of you who contributed to the success of CITS, Mary

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/23/2020 01:46 AM

Mary--thanks for the post. Take care and best wishes..
Posted By: Lancer

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/24/2020 08:16 PM

I am saddened to hear of Jim's passing and my heart goes out to Mary. I had just communicated with Jim, via email, this past December. He informed me then that he was retired. He was such a nice, and very friendly man. His expertise in vacationing on the island was so helpful when we were first exploring the possibility of staying on the island rather than stopping by on a cruise. HIs services were recommended through TTOL and he worked with us through the years with bookings in St. Martin. Green Cay Villas was our first with Jim. Rest in peace Jim.

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/24/2020 08:55 PM

Yes, Green Cay was the first place Jim booked for us too. He definitely was the BEST at booking Orient. Rest in peace, friend.
Posted By: indi

Re: Rest in Peace, Jim Ruos - 01/25/2020 04:32 PM

We are so very sorry to learn of Jim's passing. Like many others, Jim introduced us to SXM and Orient Beach. We, too, had a couple of hiccups with missed flights, villa issues, etc. Jim always made things right and went the extra mile for us. Jim and Mary had a long and wonderful life together. Thank you for the gift of knowing SXM!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline