TravelTalkOnline

Looking for mussels

Posted By: sxmdux503

Looking for mussels - 01/28/2020 11:52 PM

Hi All, We're headed back in February and will be in search of the best restaurant to find an entree like Mussel's à la Andy from the old BayWatch days. Do you have suggestions?

Cheers,

Natalie
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/28/2020 11:56 PM

A different presentation but Mark's Place has some really good mussels. They are not available every day.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 12:32 AM

Cotes Plage in Orient Village has them fresh on Thursdays
Posted By: sxmdux503

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 12:37 AM

Thank you! We haven't been to Cote Plage (yet) and have only eaten ribs/chicken at Mark's. Both restaurants are now written on our growing list of to do's.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 12:38 AM

Cote Plage is GREAT, regardless of what you eat there..
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 01:07 AM

If you get Mussels at Marks have them substitute the french fry for pasta. Unbelievable. And one order of Mussels there are enough for two.
Posted By: pat

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 01:26 AM

Natalie,

I’m gonna’ glom on with the others who have suggested Marks for incredibly good mussels. I was amazed at the quality, the quantity, the price but mostly, the incredible broth they’re served in. We always enjoyed Marks but never really thought about them for mussels but they’ve become our go to for that meal as of our last two or three trips. And I know the typical accompaniment for mussels is frites but this is one place that will give you all the bagette you want to go with that yummy broth. We surely take advantage of that fact.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 01:34 AM

Mark's Place features them as one of their signature items. And, the last time I had them the pricing was quite fair.
Posted By: pony600

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 01:38 AM

Champagne Bistrot in the Orange Grove Center has wonderful mussels, but as most places, not every day.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 02:08 AM

IMO, the best mussels by far are bouchot mussels, so I always seek those out. Best place I've found is Bistrot Carraibes, and even
if they don't have them, their PEIs are also excellent. And, as Pony mentioned, Champagne Bistro also
does mussels well, and they have bouchots on occasion.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Cote Plage is GREAT, regardless of what you eat there..

Ditto that.. Thursday is mussel night. Try the blue cheese preparation if offered.
Posted By: bran

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 08:17 AM

Tropicana on Friday(better as fresher possibly) and again on Saturday if any left. 2 Sauces available but the best is in a creamy mushroom with naturally several glasses of a good white wine. Plus a must is have them with their twice cooked French fries with mustard and ketchup. If you go Saturday finish off with their Soufflé. Throw down some of their rum drinks and a cappuccino. Stagger home.
Ooh ahhh.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 02:14 PM

What day is the best to find them on the menu ? At Mark’s

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DICKG
What day is the best to find them on the menu ? At Mark’s

I think it is Tuesday and Thursday but it may vary due to when they arrive and how many are sold on a given night. We went to Mark's for dinner twice over an 11 day span in Nov. and they did not have them either time but neither were the days I mentioned.

Mark's Place number is 721-543-2625, I would call ahead to be sure and maybe even ask they hold an order for you.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 04:24 PM

We have always had them on Tuesday. Not sure of other days.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 05:47 PM

I was told mussels are flown in from Canada on Thursdays and most places on the French side serve them. Very good at Sunset Cafe Grand Case beach Club. Moules et Frites they're called n French. La Main et Pate in Marina Royal, has them also on Thursdays. Noted on their "specials" board.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 07:46 PM

Mussels (usually Moules Bouchot) are also flown in from France on a weekly basis, I think on Wednesday. My impression, perhaps correct and perhaps not, is that the Canadian mussels tend to be larger, and the French Moules Bouchot tend to be smaller.
Posted By: EveVer

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 08:10 PM

This thread has me wanting mussels! I have a nice recipe I use, they're not hard to make at home at all!

Here is the recipe:

https://www.jessicagavin.com/steamed-mussels-white-wine-garlic/
Posted By: bran

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 08:34 PM

Regardless what and where from they come from, it’s how and what they are cooked in that make all the difference.

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/29/2020 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by bran
Regardless what and where from they come from, it’s how and what they are cooked in that make all the difference.

Yes to a large extent, but different mussels will have different tastes and texture.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Looking for mussels - 01/30/2020 12:06 AM

There was a restaurant on Nantucket called the Rose and Crown. In 1979 or 80 they used to put a bowl on your table at happy hour for free. They were so plentiful and inexpensive then. Best I have found recently was 3.00 per pound at local Public’s here in Tennessee last summer. The were PEI
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline