TravelTalkOnline

PJIA opens transit corridor

Posted By: candj

PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 11:45 AM

To help passengers, more of the airport is being open as a transit corridor.

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/airport-opens-transit-corridor
Posted By: 48ref

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 12:50 PM

Great news a little at a time.Truly Island time
Posted By: pburke40

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 02:50 PM

Remember the previous airport in the 1980’s?
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 04:13 PM

YEP!!
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by pburke40
Remember the previous airport in the 1980’s?

Yes and we loved it! True Caribbean feel when you stepped off of the plane. You knew where you were!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 07:10 PM

Glasses fogged and rum samples as you entered the arrival building.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 07:45 PM

Going OUTSIDE to the bar to get a drink and the last rays of sun and warmth, before going back to snowy climes!! Hauling two HEAVY carry-ons up the stairs to Juliana Café and watching the planes from there.

My one wish for the 'new' airport is that there will be a place to be able to actually SEE the runway and get a drink and have some food..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 07:47 PM

There used to be a very small bar at the one end where a lot of the taxi drivers would gather. $1 beers!

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 07:53 PM

Don't remember that, but definitely remember that outside bar...

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 07:57 PM

It was kind of tucked away. Junior took me there one time and we hit it many times after that.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 08:09 PM

We always looked forward to eating at Juliana Cafe, some of the best food. And the memory of stepping out of the plane and the heat hit your face like you'd just opened the oven door of a stove.

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 08:11 PM

Juliana Café was great, yes. As far as the heat hitting your face when you land, you get that now. duh But I would MUCH prefer having jetways, as compared to having to climb stairs to the plane..

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 08:25 PM

Didn't Bobby and Janea (who had Bajatzu) run Juliana Café?
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 09:03 PM

We always ended sitting in the back of the plane for some reason. When the back door of the plane was opened to exit I always loved the warm air hitting me in the face as I exited. the reality that I was on island.

Wendell
Posted By: Bahston

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 10:12 PM

The inside "outside" bar, open-air in the middle of the terminal, is my fondest memory. Bartenders Tony and Joe could spot me 3-deep behind a crowd, and would set me up with a round of ice-cold Heineken in a heartbeat.

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 10:37 PM

Yes, I don't know about Janea, not sure who that is, but Bobby, who subsequently had Bajatzu, owned Juliana Café. I remember hearing a story at one point that politics was the reason why he couldn't get a restaurant at the new airport. It would be really nice if there were a GOOD restaurant at the new airport.. Pre-Irma, the shops selling perfume, etc., were beautiful, but there was not really a great place to eat..

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/01/2020 11:00 PM

She was either his wife or partner, I met her and him one night with Junior at Bajatzu.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 09:37 AM

The little bar made it pleasurable to wait for your luggage!!!
Posted By: RonDon

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Didn't Bobby and Janea (who had Bajatzu) run Juliana Café?

Yes.
Posted By: pat

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 03:26 PM

I meant to post this yesterday and I guess I got sidetracked, but I believe Bobby was once upon a time the Beverage Manager/Coordinator for Mullet Bay Resort and Anthony, one of the waiters at Bajatzu, once worked at MBR&C, too, I believe in the Gourmet Dining Room.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 04:18 PM

[quote=Carol_Hill]Going OUTSIDE to the bar to get a drink and the last rays of sun and warmth, before going back to snowy climes!! Hauling two HEAVY carry-ons up the stairs to Juliana Café and watching the planes from there.

My one wish for the 'new' airport is that there will be a place to be able to actually SEE the runway and get a drink and have some food.. [/quote-d

Agreed. I miss Juliana Cafe'. Also the Executive Lounge. Hopefully if they re-do the lounge it might have a view of the runway, planes, BSV...the beach! wink
At the old one you saw the road and cliff....yucko view.
Posted By: thesimpsons

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 04:37 PM

Hauling two HEAVY carry-ons up the stairs to Juliana Café and watching the planes from there.

We also enjoyed Juliana Cafe! Those stairs sure seemed steep and narrow.

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by thesimpsons
Hauling two HEAVY carry-ons up the stairs to Juliana Café and watching the planes from there.

We also enjoyed Juliana Cafe! Those stairs sure seemed steep and narrow.

Yes. Miss Juliana Cafe. I have a poster a friend gave me with me in there with my wife's hat on that she forgot in the rental car while I was dropping it off and the only way to carry it with luggage was to wear it. Got a lot of laughs when I walked in.
Posted By: deirdre1

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 06:11 PM

Can anyone who has experienced the departure area after the security check recently comment on the food or restaurant options are please?

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 07:18 PM

As of October 2019, I think the best choice past security was the burger joint. Very good burgers. You also had Dominos and some type of a sandwich place, and the gourmet place, having a senior moment, can't remember the name. That was about it.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/02/2020 08:24 PM

No Dear , we just had a meeting with the Airport Board two days ago at El Zafiro .
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/03/2020 11:38 PM

Okay great but pretty sad that after more than 2 years the opening of a hallway is HEADLINE NEWS when it should be the reopening of a new freaking airport! When will SXM every get a sincerely caring and competent government ? All the island seems to get is political lip service. The Island deserves better and its way past time to get a lot more done.
Posted By: cococo

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/09/2020 05:19 PM

Love to see a slightly improved version of the old SXM airport, BUT with local duty free shops, not what they had before Irma. And be sure Jeff de Bruges chocolates is there!

Re: PJIA opens transit corridor - 02/09/2020 07:22 PM

I recall those Duty free shops were local shops.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline