TravelTalkOnline

D Boat still on the rocks

Posted By: Carol_Hill

D Boat still on the rocks - 02/13/2020 02:20 PM

Daily Herald story

They aren't going to try again until March??? And shocking, they admit now there is damage to the vessel.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: D Boat still on the rocks - 02/13/2020 02:48 PM

And I bet lack of $$ comes into play as well. Pretty sad.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: D Boat still on the rocks - 02/13/2020 04:07 PM

The more it sits the more damage.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: D Boat still on the rocks - 02/13/2020 04:51 PM

This is winter season, with trade winds blowing 25-35 knots today in Sint Maarten with higher gusts. Even in the more tranquil Lagoon there is significant wave action.

There will be lulls in winds and seas but they are short and far between until late March. It is difficult to schedule a salvage operation when conditions cannot be anticipated very far in advance, unfortunately.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: D Boat still on the rocks - 02/13/2020 05:20 PM

OK, thanks for the info.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: D Boat still on the rocks - 02/14/2020 01:24 PM

That may all be true and part of the problem but the boat has been stuck for 6 weeks now and another 4 weeks will be missed of some of the busiest time on the island. I would think if one knew the right people and had the right amount of $$, there would be a way found to get this back into operation to capture some of high season. I am betting the operation of the business is history.

As I stated previously, we watched them working on the boat last March, hauling trash off and basically allowing it to blow all over the place. It was a very unimpressive operation and had disaster written all over it IMHO.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline