TravelTalkOnline

Water issues?

Posted By: jborosara

Water issues? - 02/28/2020 10:41 PM

Anyone else staying in Orient Village having water issues? We’ve not had any since this morning
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Water issues? - 02/28/2020 11:03 PM

Le Pélican Saint-Martin
·
Major drinking water distribution system

The informs its users that due to leaks on the water system, disruptions and pressure drops can be felt throughout the island this Friday, February 28th all day.
The calls on the population to " limit their drinking water " and says " to implement all the means necessary to restore the situation as soon as possible and requests its users to excuse them for the inconvenience ".

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 12:11 AM

Well we are well into the evening and have plenty of drinking water (in bottles) just no water to flush toilet
Posted By: 319expat

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 01:26 AM

No water here at our villa in Orient, today either. I hope it’s back tomorrow or we’re going to smell great on the plane ride home tomorrow.
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 12:11 PM

When we arrived at Orient yesterday about 10;30 am, there was water in the parking area by Orange Fever. When we left at 3:30, it looked like they were finishing the repairs as they were dumping sand in the area.

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 12:52 PM

Yeah - not finished - still no water this morning

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 10:10 PM

Still no water - being told now that water from 5 to 7 and 8 to 10am only- other than that you are screwed - blame the govt - landlords are as helpless as we
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 10:16 PM

I hope you get some water soon.. Best wishes.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 10:58 PM

Is this water situation just in Orient Village or the whole French side?
Posted By: kbd

Re: Water issues? - 02/29/2020 11:54 PM

We have water in the Cul de Sac neighborhood.

Re: Water issues? - 03/01/2020 01:18 AM

We had water for an hour or so tonight - being told we will have it four a couple of hours tomorrow - at the most

No full service until Monday at the least

Telling everyone on flight from SXM to CLT on Tuesday in advance, I am sorry for how I will smell

Re: Water issues? - 03/01/2020 01:28 AM

Strongly suspect your water in cul du sac is temporary - what we’ve been told is that all water cut off to orient village, terres base and cul du sac except for two hours twice daily - which means no washing dishes or clothing or much of anything else
Posted By: wendyk

Re: Water issues? - 03/01/2020 10:44 AM

can't you time showers, washing, cleaning to coincide with the times water is available to you?

Re: Water issues? - 03/01/2020 11:29 AM

From Le Pelican

The Collectivity has decided to modify the system put in place by Saur: "rather than opting for continuous closures on private networks with major leaks, SAUR will allow access to drinking water during two strategic time slots on the sectors presenting obvious economic challenges: from 8:00 to 10:00 and from 17:00 to 19:00, from this evening, Saturday, February 29, 2020 ".

"This choice was made, after numerous consultations and discussions with socio-professionals, in order to penalize the economic fabric as little as possible but does not detract from our priority and our efforts to ensure an efficient service for the distribution of water to all the citizens of Saint-Martin, all sectors combined. insist that these measures are very temporary and will only be maintained until time returns to a normal situation with regard to the stocks built up in the tanks and which guarantee the continuity of public service.
If SAUR had planned to carry out continuous cuts for at least 48 hours, it is obvious and logical that these new easing measures will lengthen the time of the disruptions.

Everything is done to keep these deadlines as short as possible and we will keep you informed of developments. In the meantime, everyone is asked to control their water consumption and avoid the prohibitive uses of car washes, outdoor watering or filling swimming pools. ".
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Water issues? - 03/01/2020 11:56 AM

They just now discovered these leaks? Maybe it has something to do with the sewer work in Grand Case?

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 12:39 PM

There is no water in Oyster Pond on the French side this morning.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 12:42 PM

Water main break, off until 2pm I think

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 01:05 PM

No water on Friday - planned outage, apparently but no warning

Water on Saturday from 6 to 8 pm only - not enough pressure or enough time to do either dishes or laundry

Water on Sunday from 8 to 10am and 6 to 8 pm - got showers - flushed toilets, etc... still not able to do laundry or dishes

Today - no water - no water until at LEAST 2pm - (though I do not believe them at all at this point)

Cannot say enough nice things about Magali Bertho - she came to apartment and discussed with us in person on Saturday morning - and texted me again this morning - information helps, but it does not make it all better. If our apartment did not have access to a pool, we’d have no way to flush toilets - I will shower at beach bar this afternoon because I don’t expect water back on here...

I do NOT think the government has handled this well at all - apparently it was strategic outages to only certain part of French St. Martin - no one was warned - and surprise - putting pressure on and off into a leaky system breaks it... I am no engineer, but that should not surprise anyone.
Posted By: WCHam

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 01:26 PM

Where on the French side is the leak. East or West? Is the road blocked somewhere?
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 04:30 PM

Never experienced water issues on St. Martin in the past. What do the restaurants in this area do (Le Piment, L'Astrolabe)? How can they function without running water? This would make washing the lettuce kind of difficult, as well as employee hand washing. And, what happens to the hotels any in the area like Esmeralda and Palm Court? We'll be finding out soon.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 05:08 PM

Per the Daily Herald: Leakage is in some private water systems. Apparently Lowlands and Orient Bay have private water distribution lines. Leakage had become so bad that water plant could not maintain supply. Stoppages will continue until water storage tanks are full again. In the meantime water systems should repair leaks. If they know where they are.

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 05:26 PM

That seems really esoteric, as to when the stoppages will cease? Almost seems like to me that consumers are getting caught in a p*ssing match between the Collectivite' and the private water companies?
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 06:44 PM

As much as the water goes off on sxm I can’t imagine a nice villa without a cistern. We have stayed at a villa on baie rouge in the past and that villa had a large cistern as does some of the hotels we’ve stayed at.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
That seems really esoteric, as to when the stoppages will cease? Almost seems like to me that consumers are getting caught in a p*ssing match between the Collectivite' and the private water companies?

It's not a pissing match. When the lowlands and OB were developed they put in their own distribution networks. They have apparently failed to maintain them. Not the water co;s fault.

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 09:00 PM

Just got back to our apartment in Orient Village - no water

Water at Kon Tiki - JUST across the street from us - but no water in apartment

Frustrating as we have reservation for a last dinner on island

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 09:01 PM

WAY out of date - problem WAY worse than Friday - we’ve not had dependable water - if any - since then

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 09:39 PM

We have water in Oyster Pond on the French side.

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 09:53 PM

Still nothing in orient village

From what I understand this is a pissing match between French govt and owners and we are caught in between - certainly leaving a very bad tast in our mouths
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 11:07 PM

We're booked at Palm Court from this Wednesday thru Sunday. But, without water that would be unacceptable. Have to now seek out a place to stay on the more stable Dutch side on short notice.

Re: Water issues? - 03/02/2020 11:39 PM

I'm just reading between the lines about what the national water company is saying and not saying..

Re: Water issues? - 03/03/2020 01:32 PM

No water this morning when we woke up...on again now... unclear for how long

We go home this afternoon so I will not be able to provide further updates
Posted By: megamania

Re: Water issues? - 03/03/2020 01:54 PM

There seems to be a water issue of some sort on and off on island. We stayed in the Kim Sha beach area late January into February.. On a weeks visit in that area, we were without water for several hours twice in 7 days. The owner, in Pelican area, said there have been water issues since Irma. ?? Never have we been without water on our previous visit post Irma, so not sure.I have read other peoples comments on facebook re times when they had no water as well. So,,,not sure.

Re: Water issues? - 03/03/2020 02:18 PM

There are many water issues, both sides of the island. And long before Irma. A friend who works for Dutch water company says as much as 35% leaks away.

Just went to wash my breakfast dishes, no water.
Posted By: WCHam

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 10:46 AM

A google translation of an article discussing the water issue in FaxInfo.

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&pto=nl&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=fr&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.faxinfo.fr/%3Fp%3D43282&usg=ALkJrhivkC6tit7IPhMZuKhFUJ6SJbFZuw

A summary

Last weekend was marked by serious problems in the distribution of drinking water. The situation is simple: our production tool cannot currently cope with consumption and this consumption does not simply depend on what you use, a large part being attributable to leaks on the network, especially in the Orient Bay and des Terres-Basses ”, explains COM in a press release.
Posted By: duke63

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 01:38 PM

Arrived in Orient yesterday about 2:30 pm. Water on then and till bedtime, 10:30pm.
Water off during the night till 6-7ish this morning. Water still on now. Hope it stays that way!

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 02:03 PM

I hope so too! Enjoy your stay!
Posted By: duke63

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 02:07 PM

And now the water is off. GRRR!!

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 02:12 PM

Hope you got your shower in before it went off!!
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 05:43 PM

I remember back in 1985 we booked a chalet at Club Orient and had water issues. We had stayed at CO in 1983 and 1984 and had no issues but this two week stay started on the second day without water. The maids were leaving two buckets on the porch and we were supposed to go to the beach and fill them for flushing the toilets. I said to the mamagement that this was not acceptable and we checked out. The issues at CO went on for a week or more. My point is if there is an issue as important as tap water and flushing the toilet check out and find a hotel that has the basic necessities .
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 08:34 PM

The Prefecture has announced new hours for water distribution to Orient Bay, Anse Marcel, and Terre Basses:

Ainsi à partir de ce soir, mardi 3 mars, l'eau sera distribuée :
- le matin de 6h à 9h
- le soir de 17h à 20h

For those who have limited French, that’s
From Tuesday March 3
06:00 - 09:00 in the morning
17:00 - 20:00 in the evening

The limitations on water distribution will continue until the storage tanks are full.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Water issues? - 03/04/2020 09:00 PM

Another reason to avoid French side for us. No water for French beach or town operations to wash hand. Not for me especially with current viruses out there.

Re: Water issues? - 03/06/2020 09:00 PM

This just posted on FB

Le Pélican Saint-Martin
·
Society. Water will be back tonight at the tap

The negotiations between the Free Water Association, the establishment of the Waters and the Public Service delegate (Saur) seem to have paid fruit for the 20 % of the private population, since last Friday, of access to drinking water. Water stocks are reconstituted shows the EEASM in a statement to read below in its entirety.

The establishment of water and sanitation in Saint-Martin (EEASM) communicates:

The measures taken by the and the to avoid a total break in the drinking water distribution in Saint-Martin for the past week have made it possible to rebuild stocks quite significantly. In this sense, and because the and Saur are fully aware of the discomfort caused by both the population and professionals, the water distribution will therefore be fully restored this evening, Friday, March 6, 2020.

This weekend of "respite" for users will be used to evaluate the impacts of restrictions and the possibility of ending them. A new situation will therefore be made on Monday and will adapt the device deployed for the past week to the situation.
We invite users to a sustainable use of the water resource, this collective awareness will allow us to reduce the risk of too frequent cuts in the future.

L and the continue their efforts and mobilization to continue to ensure public water service in the best conditions and thank the people for their patience and understanding

Re: Water issues? - 03/06/2020 09:03 PM

Thanks for posting. Tough situation..

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 02:02 PM

Back home for a week now and have some time to reflect

Only had one really good shower then entire 12 days we were there - most of the rest were with bottles of water we'd saved from whenever the water came one - flushing toilets became quite an issue - there is NO way I would've gone swimming in the pool everyone was dipping water buckets from... just ewww...

What I've realized after coming home was that the most frustrating things were the lack of information and the lack on consistency - we'd be told water from 8 to 10 - but not have any at all most mornings - evenings somewhat more consistent -

I left a couple of the facebook SXM groups over being called whiny and told to go with the flow, etc.. we packed for being able to wash our clothing - we planned for being able to cook in our apartment - it did have an impact on our vacation - didn't ruin it - and we will have stories to tell - but there was some extra stress, to be certain

ftr... a pool does not double as a shower - freshwater means chlorinated which is worse for skin than saltwater - an ocean does not double as a shower - and no one should ever use most of our shampoos/soaps in the oceans as they are harmful to reefs (baby shampoo is an exception)

also ftr... grateful that this group is well moderated - cannot believe that mods allowed the name calling and belittling that was allowed on facebook - all I wanted was information and a place to express frustration - oh well - live and learn
Posted By: pat

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 02:47 PM

jborosa,

Sorry your vacation was impacted - I get it. But by the same token, imagine if you lived there and had to deal with this kind of situation on a regular and on-going basis. I'd go nuts. Regardless, sorry you and so many others had to tolerate this and pay for it, too, in hard earned vacation dollars.

As far as being moderated well, this forum - like most others, I'm sure - tries and does a pretty decent job - I know the main moderators are ever watchful of potential issues - but like everyone else, they have had their problems, too. Of late, people have come to understand that nonsense will not be tolerated and are very respectful of the forum and its rules. And beyond that, I think they understand that everyone is genuinely trying to the best of their ability to be helpful.

And here's to next year - next trip. Going back?!

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 02:59 PM

jbarosara--I'm sure I would have been very upset with that situation also. We were without power here in Florida for 10 days after Irma and we have our own pool, so we were able to flush our toilets and to sort of get clean, but there is no substitute for having a real shower. We have well water, so didn't have running water for that period of time. It was rough. Not at all what I would want to deal with on a vacation. We do a lot of cooking while on vacation, so that would have been a real bummer also, to have to go out all the time.

I truly hope that your next vacation is better.

Moderation is a very tough job, but there is no reason for name calling or abuse of other members.

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 04:04 PM

oh heck yeah - going back - impacted but not ruined - it's still paradise -

in fact, we're staying in the same apartment - landlord was lovely - did all she could to help us

and absolutely agree it is far worse on the locals than it was for us

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 04:07 PM

Carol - that was really the point of my post - I appreciate what the moderators here do to keep it sane...:-)

We had a huge ice storm here in 2009 - we were without power of any sort for 12 days - had running water but it was so cold that we had to keep it running all the time to keep pipes from freezing - our house was 48 degrees with our gas logs going non-stop - charged devices in our cars and had to use flash lights and/or lanterns after dark ... most miserable 12 days of my life

I take for granted the 'modern conveniences' at times - but am back home now - and cold again (even though it is sort of spring here now) - and really would trade a hot shower for a warm breeze...:-)

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 04:16 PM

Yes, we all take modern conveniences for granted, but I think it's not unreasonable at all to expect running water on a vacation. Here's hoping you have an early spring and a much better trip next time!

Does anyone know if the water issues have been resolved yet??
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 04:40 PM

With all the constantly reoccurring issues the French side seems to have I don’t know why people even stay over there. It’s like if you knew one of the four parachutes was not gonna open would you still jump out of the airplane? No! Exception being if you know for a fact you’re Villa has a cistern and can take rain or truck water if needed. Might be a bit unfair but if you know all of this going in then don’t complain when you can’t take a shower or flush the toilet. Just IMO. 😊

Re: Water issues? - 03/09/2020 04:58 PM

forever--This situation with the water was VERY unusual. The Dutch side has it's pretty fare share of issues with water and especially power. I think I will close this one now before I say something that I will regret.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline