TravelTalkOnline

News on coronavirus cases in the area

Posted By: AUCspouse

News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/05/2020 11:52 AM

Latest on coronavirus cases in the area:
http://www.loopnewsbarbados.com/content/two-french-st-martin-residents-test-negative-coronavirus-4
Posted By: RonDon

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/05/2020 01:05 PM

Thank you for posting this. It's good to keep abreast of things.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/06/2020 12:43 AM

Not very encouraging that the Sint Maarten medical center has thee capacity to treat four (4) corona virus cases.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/06/2020 12:51 PM

Oh dear, it's already in French St. Martin AND St Barths. We are booked for both islands.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/06/2020 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by sxmbeachlover
Oh dear, it's already in French St. Martin AND St Barths. We are booked for both islands.

Then you may have to make a choice.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/06/2020 01:58 PM

We are coming in April. No way We would cancel. Not really to worried about the virus but more the overall over reaction. We will take precautions but we’re not gonna be captive to this and just sit around hiding. A uncrowned beach on SXM sounds among the safest place I would want to be.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/06/2020 06:29 PM

I don't see any postings about people cancelling their trips.
Yet, I read that everyone with the virus seems to infect those around him.
Posted By: JoeandLori

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/07/2020 10:21 PM

We are still going unless AA cancels the flight. We arrive in May!
Posted By: EdB

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/08/2020 07:24 AM

I am arriving this Thursday....Everyone telling us we are crazy....but.....refuse to live in fear. Waited for 49 weeks for our return....and NOT going to miss going now since it is SO CLOSE. Fingers Crossed.....can't wait for thurday.
Posted By: SANFILIP

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/08/2020 10:44 AM

Same here, we are coming down this Friday. After having to cancel our November trip due to unplanned surgery, we are really looking forward to this trip.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/08/2020 11:52 AM

So far, we are still going, but as others have said, the calm before the storm is over, and the storm has begun. We'll just take it day by day. We cancelled our trip to Indian Wells for the BNP Paradis tennis tournament next week. Sitting in a crowded venue didn't seem very smart, and the flight home from Palm Springs was on a small plane. I'm more concerned with the airports and the plane rides than sitting on the beach after we arrive.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/08/2020 12:27 PM

i echo ur comments Edb.....b there sunday wheels down 1015 a.m. earliest i ever got there, no issues for check in as my daughter gets there on friday and i have a drop off there till i can check in
getting i bit excited now
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/08/2020 03:03 PM

https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news...ientists-may-have-found-coronavirus-cure
Posted By: CJIMI

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/09/2020 06:26 PM

I wish that I could say the same.

We were booked to fly out of PHL on AA 2312, next Sunday, March 15. I had booked the tickets last April, and was really looking forward to the trip.
Saturday morning, after hearing more "Breaking News" on CNN, my wife announced " Cancel the trip - we are not going" No amount of reasoning could change her mind. She was totally caught up in the corona virus hysteria.
I called American about a refund, or, at least, store credit. No, you have a "Basic Economy" non-refundable fare. $904 down the toilet. I sent an e-mail to AA customer service, but I do not have my fingers crossed.

I had already put a 300 euro deposit on a studio appartment rental in Orient Village.( We stayed there last March - nice, cheap, and a 10 min. walk to OB ) I sent an e-mail to the new owner, and he wrote back telling me that there is no corona virus in Saint Martin. He also wants me to send him a balance of 200 euros, as he says he has a 30 day cancellation policy.

I am sure that I am not the only one facing this issue. I want to go - my wife says no. So, I guess that I'll have to stay home, and look at my wife's toilet paper collection. I am very unhappy. I was really jonesing for this trip.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/09/2020 06:42 PM

CJIMI--Sorry to hear that, but everyone has to make their own decision. Best wishes.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/09/2020 07:44 PM

CJIMI tell her you are going anyway with or without her. That might change her mind.

Tell her DR OZ said no problem with flying but no to cruise . Most people respect Dr OZ. He said to Amp up the overhead air nozzle. Plane air is not outside air. It's filtered to 99.9%. You can use google to verify this.

We are booked for arrival 3/14 and our ages put us in the "elderly" group. Our doctor says we are in excellent health and because we have no underlying problems we are good to go. And we hope to see you in SXM!
Posted By: CJIMI

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/09/2020 07:54 PM

I already told the partners at work that I would be in next week - and now I am all booked up. Perhaps we can get back over the Thanksgiving holiday. But I am very bummed !
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 01:26 PM

I think she is being very reasonable! I have a trip planned to SXM soon and I am not going to feel comfortable on the flight and other public transportation that I will be taking. Thanksgiving is a great time to be in SXM after hurricane season is over.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 05:29 PM

Yes, the storm has begun.

The past week at work has been nothing but emergency meetings on contingency plans.

I read this today:

If you are a healthy adult, you are not cancelling your event or travel or conference because of yourself -
but because of the more vulnerable people who will suffer if you become a vector. The number of deaths will depend on how we all behave."

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 06:37 PM

I am in NY and it has deployed the National Guard. NY has 170 infected and is in a State of Emergency.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...total-more-than-triples-in-days/2319688/

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 06:39 PM

This PANIC is way overblown!

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 06:48 PM

I don't think this pandemic is overblown. Panic buying for toilet paper is overblown. The cruise industry is being hit hard.
Italy has 60 million on lock down. This has to have some truth to come this far?

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
I don't think this pandemic is overblown. Panic buying for toilet paper is overblown. The cruise industry is being hit hard.
Italy has 60 million on lock down. This has to have some truth to come this far?

I said PANIC and it is being fueled by the media.

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 07:45 PM

I agree. Media is having a field day with this. Our Governor just had a news conference and just because we had 23 deaths (21 aged with underlining health problems from the same care facility) he, in his distorted wisdom, estimates 64,000 cases within 4-8 weeks in our state. Media is just eating this up. Get real folks.

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 07:56 PM

There is talk of locking down NYC... If that ever really happened it would be insane.
It is fluid and no one knows if this is just another flu or a bio weapon?
Tin foil hat fits me... Haha!

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 08:09 PM

"It is fluid and no one knows if this is just another flu or a bio weapon?"
Oh boy. Let's not get started on conspiracy theories now. But if you do mine is based on politics using this to tank markets prior to elections.
I shouldn't have gone there but I did. Sorry.

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
"It is fluid and no one knows if this is just another flu or a bio weapon?"
Oh boy. Let's not get started on conspiracy theories now. But if you do mine is based on politics using this to tank markets prior to elections.
I shouldn't have gone there but I did. Sorry.

We are both going to be banned... LOL

Lock down of this thread come soon... 😂
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 08:17 PM

Conspiracy-minded folks will not be moved by science and the truth, but for everyone else:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Probably time to end this thread since it's already coming off the rails...

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 08:19 PM

Preppers are ready... Good Luck!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: News on coronavirus cases in the area - 03/10/2020 08:49 PM

This thread was supposed to be about Corona virus on the island, and has way far astray from that. If anyone wants to discuss the topic in general, please do so in SXM People Talk.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline