TravelTalkOnline

Diner?

Posted By: Ritchard

Diner? - 03/25/2020 02:58 PM

You guys all know this island so well, I thought I'd ask you all the following.

Once this lockdown is over, I'd like to celebrate with a proper greasy spoon bacon and eggs breakfast. Maybe it's aiming low, but that's what I'm jonesing for.

Is there a proper American style greasy spoon anyplace? I've never seen one.

Thanks,
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 03:01 PM

Toppers might be the closest thing to it for a traditional breakfast. Maybe Marks place.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 03:08 PM

I am pretty sure Mark's Place is NOT open for breakfast. I have a menu in front of me and there is no breakfast listed. They open at 11:00am and that is not breakfast hours.

Never eaten there myself but the Cappuccino Diner in Cole Bay might fit the bill. LINK

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 03:22 PM

Good to know that Marks doesn't open till 11. That Cappuccino Diner menu looks great. On my list for next time on island. Hopefully may 8th.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 03:29 PM

Cappuccino Diner has been there and in the same location for a long time so they must be doing something right but I have never personally eaten there.

Mark's Place Hours:
Hours:
Wednesday 11AM–10PM
Thursday 11AM–10PM
Friday 11AM–10PM
Saturday 11AM–10PM
Sunday 11AM–10PM
Monday 11AM–10PM
Tuesday 11AM–10PM

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 03:50 PM

We went to Cappucino Diner once, late night, as it was the only thing open, and was not impressed with food or service, although I am sure we DIDN'T have breakfast, and breakfast is usually kind of hard to screw up. Chesterfield's is a very traditional breakfast place on SXM. The Hideaway at LaVista Resort has lovely breakfast. Can't think of the name of it, but the place at Royal Islander serves American style breakfast, La Tortuga maybe?? There may be somewhere in Jordan Village also.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 03:51 PM

Tortuga at RI. Yes, on Chesterfield's and The Hideaway,

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 04:07 PM

I always forget about Chesterfields. We used to go there years past and did have a great breakfast there.
Posted By: SXMWendell

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 04:09 PM

Tried Cappuccino twice, won't be back. My vote is for SXM Yacht club.

Wendell

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 04:13 PM

Wendell--yes, the Yacht Club is great for breakfast.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 04:21 PM

Yacht club has great eggs Benedict.
Posted By: George1234

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 04:44 PM

Going down Billy Folly Road, turn right onto Welfare Road . I believe it is just past Bavaria , there is a bus ? trailer ? where they serve breakfast. This is the closest thing I've seen to a diner on the island. Depending on what you want (diner or food like the yacht club) this could be your place. We have been there 2 or 3 times, the food isn't bad.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 04:50 PM

George--It sounds like perhaps you are talking about Hilma's, which has been closed since Irma. And not really a diner, in the American sense, if that's what the original poster was asking for. She specialized in Johnny Cakes and traditional SXM food.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 05:27 PM

Actually to get to where Hilma's was you would have to take a left onto Welfare then go across the bridge. But it's a moot point as Hilma's is gone. I believe George is referring to a different diner.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 05:39 PM

Oh, ok. Sorry. Guess I forgot where it was. Actually, re-reading the post, I think maybe he's talking about Cappucino.. duh

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 05:43 PM

Easy to do at our age. jester

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 05:44 PM

Hey, you're older than me, buddy!! laugh

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 05:59 PM

I know. I'm turning 73 this May hopefully in SXM. I keep telling my wife I have 8 good years left and 5 marginals soon to be 7 and 5. banana
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 07:27 PM

Yes, that's Cappucino. Never been there.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 07:52 PM

Cappucinno is actually a frame structure that kinds of sits up a little bit like it is on short stilts. I don't recall any trailer in that area and as others stated, Hilma's is long gone and that was a little trailer.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Cappucinno is actually a frame structure that kinds of sits up a little bit like it is on short stilts. I don't recall any trailer in that area and as others stated, Hilma's is long gone and that was a little trailer.

As someone else said, to get to Hilma's, if it were still there, from Billy Folly road, you'd turn left. The earlier post describing how to get to Cappucino directed one to turn right.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 08:36 PM

That's it Cappuccino I knew it was some kind of coffee, Espresso didn't sound correct 😊

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 08:38 PM

[quote=SXMScubaman]I know. I'm turning 73 this May hopefully in SXM.

Then I'm older than both of you!

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 08:41 PM

At least we are all getting on the same page with the restaurant and location.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 10:49 PM

SSBB serves a very good American Style breakfast.
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 11:01 PM

Ritchard, my vote is El Zorro‘s! Now I know that my spelling is way off, but that’s what I call it! (See attached photo)
But you can order your breakfast as greasy as you want, or not! And you can dingy over to it and just beach it, it will be fine.

Attached picture F4235DB5-02EE-4122-B485-A9244469BC64.png

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 11:03 PM

Oh, I got to say, it’s down past Beach Side Villas in Simpson Bay.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SXMFOX
Ritchard, my vote is El Zorro‘s! Now I know that my spelling is way off, but that’s what I call it! (See attached photo)
But you can order your breakfast as greasy as you want, or not! And you can dingy over to it and just beach it, it will be fine.

That looks like where I would head. A couple over easy, bacon and potatoes. Wash it down with an OJ and finish it with a coffee drink. Hit a lounger and contemplate lunch.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by TravelHat
Originally Posted by SXMFOX

That looks like where I would head. A couple over easy, bacon and potatoes. Wash it down with an OJ and finish it with a coffee drink. Hit a lounger and contemplate lunch.

On a day that the swell is down (and this madness is over), maybe I'll give El Zafiro a go for breakfast.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Wendell--yes, the Yacht Club is great for breakfast.

I've eaten breakfast at the YC more times than I can count - primarily because of the health benefits of bloody marys for brekkie.

It doesn't fit the greasy spoon idea I have in mind. They have nice spoons but not enough grease.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 11:31 PM

Actually, Capucinno is good food at a good price.

For some reason, has never had a following here good or bad until today.

Beyond food, they have a big bar.

Re: Diner? - 03/25/2020 11:42 PM

I am not a big breakfast person and when I have had breakfast on the island, it has never been the "greasy spoon" variety. I think if that is what I wanted, I would buy the ingredients and make it myself. Good luck.

You mentioned "diner" and that is when Cappuccino came to mind.
Posted By: Maranjo

Re: Diner? - 03/26/2020 12:24 AM

Too bad Turtle Pier is gone. I think that it would have fit the bill.

Re: Diner? - 03/26/2020 01:03 AM

Great Ritchard! Great choice! It is really easy to beach your dingy, just bring a small anchor and throw it on the beach, boom, ur set. Then go have a great breakfast, as greasy as u want it! You will not regret it!

Re: Diner? - 03/26/2020 01:06 AM

Sorry I also forgot to tell you one other thing. You really don’t have to stick to the menu! Just tell them what you want, and they will prepare ur meal in your own way! Enjoy
Posted By: pburke40

Re: Diner? - 03/26/2020 12:33 PM

Back in the day, it was said that Capuccino was owned by two brothers, and their main business was drugs. Don’t know if it was true, but we never went there because of that.
Posted By: JohnB

Re: Diner? - 03/26/2020 12:39 PM

We did the same thing on our first trip to SXM only place we found open. Food was fine and hit the spot but that was 2000
Posted By: Bigdaddy

Re: Diner? - 03/26/2020 03:04 PM

One of the brothers was assassinated a few years ago.
Posted By: irina

Re: Diner? - 03/27/2020 01:44 PM

Yes all that is true. We used to go quite a bit. Had discount card and knew the owners. Great breakfast, burgers etc.
Big bunch of us watched the World Cup there with friends.
Capuccino was always fun.
Cheers
irina
Posted By: deirdre1

Re: Diner? - 03/27/2020 02:18 PM

We had breakfast at Toppers on Ash Wednesday on our island exit and it was eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes. Well done with a nice presentation but I wouldn't classify it as a greasy special breakfast. My better half had the French Toast and she thought it was really good.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Diner? - 03/28/2020 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy
One of the brothers was assassinated a few years ago.

Politicians are assassinated......drug dealers are murdered.

Re: Diner? - 03/28/2020 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by deirdre1
We had breakfast at Toppers on Ash Wednesday on our island exit and it was eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes. Well done with a nice presentation but I wouldn't classify it as a greasy special breakfast. My better half had the French Toast and she thought it was really good.

Toppers is pretty convenient for us, you can tie up the dinghy in a couple of spots close by.

My usual attendance at Toppers is for Karaoke. I love to sing.
Posted By: Bigdaddy

Re: Diner? - 03/30/2020 03:00 PM

Call it what you will...how about murdered while walking his dog by an assassin.

Re: Diner? - 03/30/2020 03:23 PM

Alrighty then. I guess that's enough of this.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline