TravelTalkOnline

Royal Palm-workers there or closed down

Posted By: toothdoc

Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 12:06 AM

As an owner at the Royal Palm, I am wondering if all the workers were sent home over this coronavirus, or are they still working there diligently in order that get the RP opened in the late summer or fall of 2020. Anyone go by there this past week?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 12:29 AM

No. As a report came in today from someone living on island and walked by both Famingo and Royal Palm work is being done uninterrupted. Painting is being done inside and exterior finish being done also.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 01:17 PM

That's kind of odd, that they are 'essential workers', but maybe any construction is essential? A client of mine is in construction here in Florida and he expects to be shut down if our governor shuts things down. Weren't most of those workers Chinese? But I guess they have been in SXM since before China blew up with Corona?

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 02:47 PM

Construction workers here in WA state are considered non essential and work is shut down for 2 weeks starting today except for plumbers, electricians and heating/cooling companies.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 02:48 PM

I think that is what it will be here also, but not sure. Some counties are shutting down, but not the whole state, yet..

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 02:57 PM

We started with 2 counties first, one of which I'm in, for a two week stay at home a week ago. Now starting today it is another 2 weeks added on for the state wide order. Good thing I have all the wine in the cellar. toast
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 05:12 PM

I run past the Royal Palm every morning when the workers are just arriving. Yes they are working but the numbers seem down slightly from what I saw before the island quarantine. But they are still working!

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 05:38 PM

You might not see all that is there as a lot of work is now being done inside each unit.
Posted By: WLE

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 05:41 PM

The workers that I spoke to at the Flamingo this past year were from the Philippines
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/26/2020 06:13 PM

Thanks for your info. It is hard to stay here in CT and imagine what's happening in SXM. We will definitely return in 2021.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/29/2020 10:39 AM

With everything that has happened to this lovely resort, this is another set back they didn't need!!!

Description: Sunset at RP 2016
Attached picture Royal Palm sunset 2016.jpg

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/29/2020 02:43 PM

There is no set back. Work continues uninterrupted.

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/29/2020 05:24 PM

When I went by Royal Islander today, Sunday, there were a few workers onsite working! It was not the usual number but there was activity and the bobcat was running and scraping. It seems they are working 7 days a week.

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/29/2020 05:30 PM

Are you talking about Royal Islander as in your post or Royal Palm as this is about Royal Palm?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/29/2020 05:48 PM

They mentioned Royal Palm in a previous post in this thread but clarification would be appreciated.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/29/2020 06:47 PM

Work continues everyday at Royal Palm.

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/31/2020 11:27 AM

Sorry, I meant Royal Palm! So confused by all this isolation it seems...

Re: Royal Palm-workers there or closed down - 03/31/2020 02:50 PM

That's OK. Must be that island heat setting in.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline