TravelTalkOnline

Airline middle seat policy

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Airline middle seat policy - 05/06/2020 03:48 PM

https://www.latimes.com/travel/stor...passengers-to-social-distance-on-flights
Each airline has a different policy for social distancing and boarding. Best to inquire before booking.

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/07/2020 02:43 PM

Today Frontier reversed charging for middle seat.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/07/2020 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Today Frontier reversed charging for middle seat.

I read it as they are NOT going to charge extra for the seats BESIDE an unoccupied middle seat.

Below is from Frontier:

"Frontier Airlines said it’s going to charge extra for passengers who want to guarantee a spot next to an unoccupied middle seat in the age of social distancing."
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/07/2020 04:59 PM

OK, it's confusing to me. I personally don't plan on flying for a while yet anyway.

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/07/2020 11:36 PM

Yes. That charge was to guarantee that middle seat would stay unoccupied.
Posted By: Jeff_C

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/08/2020 02:52 PM

My view on this issue would be . A N95 mask is much cheaper ! LOL Jeff_C
Posted By: sxmParrotfish

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/09/2020 07:12 PM

Agree, that was my take on it as well. I imagine the big carriers will simply not sell the middle seat and raise the fares for all other seats. They each have their own business model, and that’s fine. Consumer choice isn’t a bad thing. If I were to fly on Frontier ( I haven’t yet) I would definitely pay that $39 and probably more. Some would not, or may simply be traveling with two other family members etc.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/09/2020 07:31 PM

Well Frontier dropped the middle seat charge a couple of days ago and if that is mandated for the plane to fly why would anyone pay it anyway.....everything is still evolving and there is no real definitive policies yet
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/09/2020 07:53 PM

Correct, a lot of trial balloons and it may come down to government mandates for a while. Especially if bailout money is involved.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/13/2020 01:17 PM

The strange thing is that with the airflow exchange rates on aircraft and the flow being top to bottom there is probably no better place to be than a airliner. It’s all about perception not reality.

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/13/2020 04:58 PM

I agree with that on the airflow. I saw an interview with a doctor a few weeks back and he said he would fly without hesitation ; just to crank the overhead air and wipe down surfaces. He said the airport was more concerning than the plane by far.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/13/2020 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
OK, it's confusing to me. I personally don't plan on flying for a while yet anyway.

When do you think you might fly? We have a Delta credit that has to be used for ticket purchase by 9/20 (I can get tickets nearly a year in advance I think). Wee are going to try to return in 3/21.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/13/2020 11:24 PM

I honestly don't know when I will fly again. It's a matter of when I wouldn't have to be quarantined, etc, at the least. As of now, I certainly wouldn't fly outside the country, even if I could.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/14/2020 12:55 PM

It is fascinating watching a reading all the differing viewpoints/opinions. They had a doctor on the news last night that said an airplane is the worst place to be right now. I have no idea which doctor is correct. For me, when it is time to fly, i'll have to decide for myself if it worth the risk. The only opinions that scare me are the people that are absolutely certain they are correct. So much is unknown with this virus that it is hard to be certain about anything.

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/14/2020 05:08 PM

There are many opinions and viewpoints, and that’s expected as there is much we don’t know. It does look like middle seats won’t be occupied, however that is achieved. As for the virus, the only thing we can be sure of is that nothing is without risk. With that in mind, we all need to decide for ourselves what level of risk we feel comfortable assuming. We only are certain about what is right for us individually. Nothing scary about others opinions as we make our own choices. Flying to our favorite destinations (when the ability to do so resumes ) will still be a personal choice. Some folks will and some won’t, maybe for quite some time. I’ll be looking to go back to SXM as soon as they will have me provided things are open etc which I’d expect if they are accepting visitors.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/14/2020 10:23 PM

totally agree with u Parrot
Posted By: Maranjo

Re: Airline middle seat policy - 05/14/2020 11:11 PM

There is a doctor (Dr. Joseph Fair) on the news in my area contacted covid-19 in the past month that he is pretty sure was on he plane. He had a mask on, but said that he did not have goggles on and probably got droplets in his eyes. A plane ride to St. Martin may be too long for me to have a mask and goggles on.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline