TravelTalkOnline

If I had a sailboat/yacht in SXM?

Posted By: PelicanPirate

If I had a sailboat/yacht in SXM? - 05/08/2020 12:26 PM

I was dreaming and contemplating and it may be a situation for somebody who would like to spend the pandemic at sea.

If I had a sailboat in SXM, and I wanted to get it, provision it and go to sea for a couple months, could I?

Would I be allowed to charter a jet into SXM and go straight to boat? Promise to quarantine or leave.

Could someone on SXM grab the boat and take it to another nearby Country/island, BVI or USVI and I joint on a flight into St Thomas?

Could I board at sea?

Can a guy like Roman get to his yacht?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: If I had a sailboat/yacht in SXM? - 05/08/2020 01:17 PM

If you had money like Roman does, I guess all things are possible. For mere mortals, I would say no, into and out of SXM. Apparently as of June 1, there is be a possibility that someone could fly into St. Thomas and rent a boat there, but you would have to stay within USVI waters, as you can't legally enter SXM waters or even BVI waters right now. See this thread
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: If I had a sailboat/yacht in SXM? - 05/08/2020 01:18 PM

Probably not. Same thing is going on in BVI, people cannot get their own boats out of the BVI at this point in time. You cannot just sail out, you have to clear out of customs and immigration.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: If I had a sailboat/yacht in SXM? - 05/08/2020 01:51 PM

No. Our borders are closed, even to boats that were not here pre closure.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: If I had a sailboat/yacht in SXM? - 05/09/2020 10:34 AM

Thanks all.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: If I had a sailboat/yacht in SXM? - 05/09/2020 07:50 PM

Well it is a bit sticky, addressing your request. We are in St. Maarten on a US Flagged boat on the Dutch Side.

If you bought a boat here, a US citizen could sail it to the USVI or Puerto Rico if the boat has a US or Canadian Flag. But that person could not return to St. Maarten. An EU person could sail an EU Flagged boat out of SXM to any French Island but could not return to SXM either.

No foreign flights are allowed into Princess Juliana airport. However, the French airport allows restricted flights to and from Guadeloupe and Martinique. But you need connections for those flights.

Right now you can fly into St. Thomas or Puerto Rico, buy a boat and sit on the US Flagged boat in those two areas, if you want to do that.

So no, you cannot fly into SXM and buy your boat. Florida, Puerto Rico or the USVI are your only warm choices to buy your boat and be able to sail on your boat. Oh, the BVI's are strickly off limits as well.

Good luck!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline