TravelTalkOnline

Sir Roland Richardson!!

Posted By: blackmercedes

Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/20/2020 04:39 PM

Here is the new website for Roland's gorgeous artwork. https://www.rolandrichardson.com/ This will gloriously BRIGHTEN your day and bring back many wonderful memories of SXM.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/20/2020 06:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. We visited his studio and really enjoyed talking with him. We didn’t purchase anything at that time and it has been hard to see what was available given his prior limited website. I've got a spot that need some new artwork!

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/20/2020 08:13 PM

Yes. We bought a print when we were there in Dec. It is a special reminder of the "color lesson" he shared with us!
Posted By: biglar

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/20/2020 10:28 PM

Thank you so much for the website you listed. The story of his life is amazing. So many facts about him I never knew. One of our most prized images is the one painted by Sir Roland. I hope many others will read his story on his website.
Posted By: BEERMAN

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/21/2020 12:03 AM

Great artist, great gallery!

Attached picture IMG_5949 (2).JPG
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/21/2020 11:15 AM

We visited Roland's studio when it was in his typical creole house, just north of Quartier-d'Orleans, a long time ago. The house was set back from the road with a nice view of the sea in the distance. His paintings were spectacular but way out of our price range back then. He had a remarkable eye for color smile
Posted By: Cincinnati_Kid

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/21/2020 11:28 AM

I have visited his gallery twice, purchasing a beautiful print each time. He and his wife are charming.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 05/22/2020 12:31 PM

And...there is an on line store if you need a beautiful SXM reminder to brighten your day. Priceless, really. We miss it there so much.. It is enjoyable to read about Roland's incredible history. We visited the gallery/museum in Dec. after we saw a post from you Cincinnati_kid when you showed the surprise print for your fiancée. We can not believe that we had never been there before in all the decades we have been going to St. Maarten. So..Thank you for helping us to enlighten our lives, which is what the visit to the gallery did. In SO many ways.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/08/2020 12:54 PM

So as I was reading the doom and gloom of the post about reopening and all the flights getting canceled, I decided to go ahead and order the coconut tree and flamboyant print on Sir Roland's new website. I wanted to buy it in person at the gallery, but it doesn't seem like we will be allowed to go back anytime soon. We have gone in June and August for years.

Dave and I have enjoyed taking extra time to go through all of Sir Roland's new website. Every time we look, we see new and beautiful art. His youTube videos are very natural and full of generous insights to an amazing SXM world. We love his liquid turquoise seascapes. They are so tranquil and inviting... Watching the videos actually transports us back to our happiest memories of St. Martin. But I decided on the taller palm print this time.

If you are considering one of his beautiful, numbered prints for your home, I think now is the time to buy. That is why I am not waiting. I think it will help them now through the pandemic closures that have so rocked the island. Just contact Laura at roland.laura@wanadoo.fr Roland and Laura are 2 of the nicest and most caring people we have had the pleasure of meeting on the island.

Talk about a win, win!! Helping their wonderful gallery and getting a gorgeous print to remember our best island visits.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/08/2020 01:15 PM

I am happy to learn that he and Laura are on utube. Great people !
Posted By: bigbobthib

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/09/2020 07:13 PM

Met Sir Roland on Grand Case Blvd. he was doing art work on a building on the street. Very talkative great artist. Went to visist hie gallery next day. What a treat very impressed!
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/09/2020 08:45 PM

Had a chance to visit with Roland and Laura a few years ago at their home in Les Terres Basses. They are delightful folks and we enjoyed seeing their home and visiting for a while. One of our favorite island memories.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/12/2020 12:25 PM

I am not sure how to frame or stretch our beautiful Sir Roland Richardson prints. If you have a print and would share a picture of how you framed and displayed, we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for sharing.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/12/2020 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by blackmercedes
I am not sure how to frame or stretch our beautiful Sir Roland Richardson prints. If you have a print and would share a picture of how you framed and displayed, we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for sharing.

Have you considered taking it to a professional framer? That is what we have done with our several "Richardson's". The you get matting ideas and better frame options.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/12/2020 04:18 PM

I do not have any Richardson prints, but our other signed and numbered prints, I usually take to Michael's or whoever, and have them help me. Usually there is someone there with a good eye. If not, I have left and come back. I would not try to just buy a pre-made frame and mat, if that's what you were thinking of doing. Michael's is not going to be cheap, unless they are running some type of a sale, but a regular professional framer is going to be a lot more. Back when we lived in Virginia and had money, I usually went to a professional framer. In general, I have paid more for framing of the prints, than I paid for the print.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/14/2020 12:03 AM

Thank you for the comments! Yes. I am going to go to a framer but I was wondering how they looked framed. Your choices and displayed?

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/14/2020 12:10 AM

Honestly, it would really depend on the particular print, I would think.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/14/2020 12:29 AM

I guess you are right. I was just thinking outloud. The prints are so representative of our love for the island. The palms and flamboyant are always so beautiful. Even AFTER the horrific storm.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/14/2020 12:42 AM

I know that he does a lot of prints of people also, although I will agree that the flamboyant are kind of his signature. You didn't say what kind of print you have.
Posted By: kim

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/14/2020 02:07 PM

I have a black and white pencil sketch that I purchased on eBay years ago. I had it professionally framed in a bamboo type frame. I’ll try to post a picture.

Attached picture EB60591B-869D-4FB4-B81A-7EF8E01F52C6.jpeg
Attached picture 2062E53F-C616-43A5-A28B-0BDC2144D03D.jpeg

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/15/2020 12:41 PM

Thank you Kim for sharing your beautiful prints. They look great. And, Carol. We bought the coconut tree and flamboyant last week. I did not want to wait until we were able to go back. Seems like it is going to be awhile more. So sad. The 4 of us would have been there about now... We previously bought the Baie Longue Colors I when we visited the gallery. So, I will have 2 to get framed.
Posted By: Rainbow

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/16/2020 12:46 PM

Thank you so much for your amazing kindness! We really appreciate your support and encouragement. It's a difficult time for everyone on St. Martin for sure and we hope that Roland's website brings back beautiful memories and uplifts your spirits. Please stay safe and healthy. We look forward to hearing from you!
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/16/2020 08:42 PM

I have several, but I just can't figure out how to post the pictures.

Attached picture roland1.jpg
Attached picture roland2.jpg
Attached picture roland3.jpg
Attached picture roland4.jpg
Attached picture roland5.jpg
Attached picture roland6.jpg
Attached picture roland6.jpg
Posted By: BlueGreenWater

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/16/2020 08:43 PM

Guess I blundered into it. They are all Roland originals except the bananas/plantains, which are giclee prints. Sorry for the double posting of those.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/16/2020 11:57 PM

Cool! Thanks for posting.

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/17/2020 11:34 AM

Beautiful ! Thanks for making the effort to share with us !!
Don

Re: Sir Roland Richardson!! - 06/17/2020 11:11 PM

Thank you so much! I appreciate you sharing those beautiful framed pieces. Exceptional!!! Lots of ideas for my 2 prints!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline