TravelTalkOnline

Just cancelled my July trip

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 06:54 PM

Received an email from AA that my Flight to SXM out of CLT for July 11 was a no go. Funny it still showed on their web page. So I called and cancelled my return as they had us returning through MIA instead of CLT which was a moot point if my incoming was cancelled. Had to request refunds via their web page with each passenger requested separately. All went well until I had to do the refund request with Allianz flight insurance. You have to email them to get a refund which will take up to 10 days to get a response if they will issue a refund or not. Will be booking our May 2021 trip pretty soon and will use miles round trip as I have around 400,000 to use. Going to miss this year but too many unknowns to deal with both going, staying and returning.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 07:13 PM

Sorry to hear that, as I know this was supposed to be a big trip for you and your family.

Funny you mention Allianz, as it totally skipped my mind to request a refund from them on our cancelled June trip. It wasn't a big amount of money, probably won't bother. Let me know what you find out on it..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 07:38 PM

Sad but not surprising. I have heard other reports of early to mid July flights being cancelled as well.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 07:53 PM

Will do. Yes this was our 50th wedding anniversary and our daughters 20 anniversary trip that were married on island in 2000. As forest Gump said "Sh*t Happens". Ready to book for next May.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 10:05 PM

Just got email from Allianz that they approved and are processing both refunds to me. Quicker than I thought.
Posted By: pat

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 10:37 PM

So sorry you had to cancel such a special trip.

This year will go down in history as the Year of ALL the Cancellations. Our youngest granddaughter missed out on her moving up to HS ceremony and our next Granddaughter missed out on her college graduation. I hope they have graduations for Grad School - she deserves to take that diploma walk.

It’s such a sad thing for all these young people but I can’t imagine the disappointment your family experienced losing not one but two significant anniversary celebrations. I know you’ll party one way or the other but a SXM vacation really is the best.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 11:04 PM

Thanks but life goes on. At least we were fortunate to be able to plan and pay for all those trips that got cancelled and not like a lot of families that are struggling now being with out jobs and any source of income. I truly feel for them 2 Alaska fishing trips, 2 St Maarten trips and an earlier Las Vargas trip. All cancelled but we have our health and great memories of past trips.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/11/2020 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Just got email from Allianz that they approved and are processing both refunds to me. Quicker than I thought.

Did you email them? I sent an inquiry through their web page about our canceled flights in March, and just remembered that I've not received a response.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 12:53 AM

Yes. The person I talked to said I had to email for a refund request. He gave me the email address over the phone. Said I had to send them copies of canceled notice. I just copied and paisted what AA sent me on email. Got instant return email stating refund granted.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 09:21 AM

Did AA offer a cash refund or flight credits?
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 10:11 AM

I would’ve thought there was hope for an 11 July trip start but at some point you got to make a go/no decision.

Probably got that refund real quick because they knew they’d get the feared/respected “scubattol” treatment and didn’t want any bad publicity on the net.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
I would’ve thought there was hope for an 11 July trip start but at some point you got to make a go/no decision.

Probably got that refund real quick because they knew they’d get the feared/respected “scubattol” treatment and didn’t want any bad publicity on the net.

Sounds like the airline made the decision.
Posted By: crsxm

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 10:54 AM

Sorry to hear about your cancellation! I’m sure you will make the best of it. We are booked on Jet Blue from JFK for the 18th Of July. Other than a slight change in time, we are still booked. Some of the folks in our group have proactively cancelled and received a refund of their Jet Blue points. I guess we will know in a week or so. More than likely, we will be in the same situation. I hear our timeshare (Divi) is not refunding but giving a credit to be used—not sure of the timing. I’m not sure how I will use 10 weeks next year but It may be fun trying.
Posted By: leep75

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Roadking

On my July trip (July 3 - 10) I was offered both. I could get either a voucher worth 20% more and valid through 12/2021 or cash back on my card.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 11:59 AM

Wow crsxm, we could’ve been vacation buddies. We’re also booked on that July 18th flight and were staying at Divi. We’ve canceled everything but the flight hoping that we’ll be able to get a refund instead of the credit.
Posted By: Jonny

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 12:41 PM

When is the Flamingo opening?

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 01:11 PM

eightzerobits--Not sure what airline, but regardless, if the airline cancels the flight, you are entitled to your money back, period. Unless you decide you want the credit instead.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 01:14 PM

It’s Jetblue and they haven’t canceled yet.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 01:30 PM

OK, Jet Blue was one of the ones who were giving people trouble to begin with, but so long as they cancel, you should be fine, after some prodding from the USDOT..

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 02:52 PM

You have the option of either credit to method of original payment or a voucher of 120% of original cost. I opted for the credit to Bank Card.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jonny
When is the Flamingo opening?

Should ask that on a separate thread but to answer question sometime Spring 2021
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 03:31 PM

Sorry it was all cancelled Scuba. frown

We would've run into you again....lol.
We should've been on island for a couple of weeks. July 8th is our 10th anniversary. We have NO idea or plans now. The world is such a mess. I'm not sure that there is even anyplace safe to go......

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 04:05 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming 10th.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 04:09 PM

Leona--The USVI is open.. It's a thought.
Posted By: GaryB

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 05:47 PM

If I read you right AA canceled your July 11 flight CLT to SXM. Odd as my July 7th flight on AA via Miami is still active and booked. Wonder if it was the CLT origination that was the issue?

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 05:53 PM

Gary--you don't have permanent residency on SXM, do you? As that flight may still be available as a repatriation flight, but I really doubt it's going to fly as a regular, commercial flight. Probably just haven't gotten around to cancelling it yet.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 05:57 PM

No not permanent. But one way as stay will be for 4 months. Gambling that airport opens July 1st. Need to get back to work on island property for hurricane season. Keeping fingers crossed.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 06:05 PM

Ok, best wishes.

BTW, just tried to book one way Miami to SXM on July 7 and nothing came up.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 06:28 PM

When I put search from SEA to SXM via CLT it doesn't come up. But if I do SEA to CLT and then another from CLT to SXM they both come up. Either way I'm cancelled with refunds on the way.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 08:41 PM

Sorry about your trip cancellation but not surprised. Keeping my fingers crossed for my late October trip.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/12/2020 08:43 PM

Hope it works out for you. We have friends that were supposed to go when we were this last May and are now booked for October too.
Posted By: Roadking

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/13/2020 12:54 AM

So you insurance claim was for other costs then?

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/13/2020 02:07 AM

So you insurance claim was for other costs then?

Just the price of the premium for the policy.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/13/2020 07:19 PM

Carol, FYI the reason you could not see the AA July 7th Miami to SXM flight is because it is SOLD OUT. Only 3 seats in first left. Looks like there are a lot of people like me hoping to get on the island that day. :-)
Posted By: dawnbeachette

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/13/2020 07:26 PM

My Son's flight from CLT-SXM on July 9th hasn't been cancelled....as of today! He lives on the Frenchside and really wants to get home. A visit to Colorado to visit Mom has dragged out a little too long!!

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/13/2020 09:56 PM

Gary--No, the other day, it didn't come up at all. No idea what's going on with airline websites these days.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/17/2020 11:07 AM

Yep, definitely the year of cancelled trips. Cancelled Indian Wells Tennis tournament in March, St. Martin and St Barts April, Switzerland and Croatia August/ Sept. Hoping to go to Maui in Nov/ December, St Martin/Anguilla in January 2021, St. Martin/St Barts in April 2021 but who knows, and yes, very thank-full for what we have and understand there is a lot of financial and health suffering.
Posted By: lina

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/19/2020 04:48 PM

I tried to get a refund for our insurance as well. unfortunately, you must do it when you cancel your flights.

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/19/2020 05:09 PM

Not true. You can still get it after the fact if flight was cancelled and you didn't fly.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/19/2020 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by lina
I tried to get a refund for our insurance as well. unfortunately, you must do it when you cancel your flights.

Nope, not true. I got my refund today, and canceled my flights back in March.
Posted By: bivangrp

Re: Just cancelled my July trip - 06/20/2020 09:20 PM

FYI, AA canceled our July 3rd trip to SXM and rebooked us to July 8th (just 5 days later?). We're traveling from Vegas through Miami and then on to SXM. We'll see if they end up canceling the July 8th trip as well? By the way, does anybody know of a good link to find out what is (and isn't) open in SXM?
Thanks in advance for any help.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline