TravelTalkOnline

Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 02:34 AM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/airport-to-reopen-on-emancipation-day
Posted By: KitKat

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 11:10 AM

So, am I reading this correctly? Will the 21 day minimum mean that when they open to Europe and North America on July l, everyone has to stay in St. Maarten for 3 weeks?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 11:13 AM

sad No quarantines required

https://www.facebook.com/pmsilveria...3502/177548220384630/?type=3&theater
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine

Thanks. I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

Using the term "recommended" for testing and then following up with "to provide proof of such upon arrival" is rather vague and contradictory. At least it is to me.

Below is another link for information.

MINISTRY OF TEATT
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by KitKat
So, am I reading this correctly? Will the 21 day minimum mean that when they open to Europe and North America on July l, everyone has to stay in St. Maarten for 3 weeks?

No, you are not reading it correctly.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier

Thanks. I was just getting ready to post the same thing.

Using the term "recommended" for testing and then following up with "to provide proof of such upon arrival" is rather vague and contradictory. At least it is to me.

Below is another link for information.

MINISTRY OF TEATT

Perhaps if you don't provide proof of testing, they will require that you be tested upon arrival. I expect this to be clarified, and probably to change, before flights are actually available from the US.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 11:55 AM

We don't have the capability to test passengers. Can't even test the population.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 12:23 PM

Yeah, I read that "recommended" and have no idea what that means. .
Posted By: SandS

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 12:56 PM

With hot spots in the US I feel sorry for the people of St. Maarten. Stricter rules need to be implemented. Everything they worked for can be gone after a few flights. I hope you don’t think I’m a naysayer. We already have our tickets for February.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 01:02 PM

I have to say, I am surprised that they are not REQUIRING tests. I think this was an economic decision but I do understand why they made it. The average person on SXM of working age has to be having a hard time feeding their family at the moment.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 01:07 PM

Of course it is. Get tourists back and Gov't and civil servants don't have to take a pay cut to get a loan from Holland.

Of course, our neighbors need to get back to work, but at what cost? It's been stated here many times people don't want to come if they have to wear masks, social distance.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 01:24 PM

Of course it is. Get tourists back and Gov't and civil servants don't have to take a pay cut to get a loan from Holland.

Of course, our neighbors need to get back to work, but at what cost? It's been stated here many times people don't want to come if they have to wear masks, social distance.

I think you'll find that more people will be responsible than won't. That's certainly what we see here at home.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 01:58 PM

Especially in our age group.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 02:52 PM

I'm seeing more irresponsible behavior here at home. We go into retail stores and many of the employees and customers aren't wearing masks and managers overlook that fact. In our state masks are suggested and recommended but not mandatory.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 03:10 PM

The mask issue is quite controversial. Frankly, I doubt they do much good, based on the evidence I read. I do wear one when I'm in a store, mostly to make the people around me feel more comfortable. I noticed today in the grocery store that I could smell the bread while walking down that aisle, so I sort of doubt the mask is protecting me from anything more than an infected person sneezing or coughing directly on me. I do find that most people are respecting the need to give others space, which is the most important thing, in my humble opinion.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 04:01 PM

It's been stated here many times people don't want to come if they have to wear masks, social distance.

I actually have NOT seen that stated here many times. I think that people will try to do what's right.
Posted By: pat

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 04:46 PM

I’ve read time and again, people are NOT wild about returning to the island if wearing a mask is part of the price, and truthfully, while I always wear a mask when out in public, I fall into that category, too, and would NOT be thrilled having to wear one on vacation.

I’m not totally believing a mask is the be-all and end-all solution to the spreading of Covid-19 since the theories seem to be all over the place, but jic it is, I will comply and it does make others feel good so I don’t see it as a problem in confined areas. What would make me very unhappy would be the suggestion I ‘must’ wear one while at the beach and that would probably be a deal-breaker for me.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 05:17 PM

" suggestion I ‘must’ wear one while at the beach and that would probably be a deal-breaker for me."
Me too.
Posted By: KitKat

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 05:36 PM

OK, sorry. I went back and reread the article and did misunderstand who and what the 21 day minimum referred to. And thanks for posting the entry requirements. Now our biggest problem will be trying to figure out what kind of airline schedule AA will have in February that goes through Charlotte. It is all over the place right now.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 05:52 PM

Honestly, if you are 6 feet apart on the beach, there should be no reason for a mask. That makes no sense. I don't see anyone requiring that.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 06:39 PM

Looks like my August trip may happen after all.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 06:41 PM

In MA it's mandatory and our rates have been falling pretty consistently

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 07:51 PM

No one wears a mask at the beach. We wear one TO the beach until we can be comfortable about social distancing, then take it off. Had a lovely late morning, early afternoon swim today with 2 people at the bar and about 6 on the beach
Posted By: Jeff_C

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 08:54 PM

We don't have our trip planed for another 5 months ( the end of Nov. ) So I know a lot of things can change by then . Today I looked in my area about a rapid response test . And you can get
one with your doctors permission . Just wondering if they will let you have one because you are going to travel ?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 09:28 PM

Elaine--thanks. That makes sense.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 10:04 PM

We also travel in late November. I'm confident that we will be able to get our doctor to prescribe the rapid response test if it's available.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 10:36 PM

Maybe we will be lucky and they will have a vaccine by then !! But then again , I don't know if I want to be the first person in line to get that vaccine....... I don't think I would look good with a third eye .
But then again I don't look good with two eyes !!!

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff_C
Maybe we will be lucky and they will have a vaccine by then !! But then again , I don't know if I want to be the first person in line to get that vaccine....... I don't think I would look good with a third eye .
But then again I don't look good with two eyes !!!

Haha! I've always enjoyed being unique! I doubt there will be a vaccine by then, but I feel there's more of an opportunity for effective treatment.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/20/2020 11:36 PM

I tried to get a test last week. I had chest congestion, stuffy head and felt fatigued but no other symptoms. I was refused a test but got prescribed chest and head xrays instead. Tests are hard to get in WA State. All was clear and feel fine now but was hoping for the test.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/21/2020 08:13 AM

We had to be tested before we were allowed to return to work at the salon. The test took two seconds and results were back with in 48 hours on line.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/22/2020 11:08 PM

They made the test mandatory

https://www.facebook.com/I92SXM/photos/a.138727419782/10158739479814783/?type=3&theater

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/22/2020 11:34 PM

OK, no problem, but jeez, they could have SAID that to begin with..

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 09:34 AM

English is their second, or third, or fourth language. typing
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 10:27 AM

Lots of appropriate unanswered questions attached to that link. It's sometimes not easy for a asymptomatic person to be tested.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 11:39 AM

https://www.moh.gov.jm/jamaica-records-14-new-covid-19-cases/

All 14 cases are imported, arriving on flights from the United States.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 12:41 PM

Colour1 you "tested before return...to salon..' It seems rules are different depending where one is located. Hubby went to barber different rules for when I went to hairdresser (same state).

But what surprised me is salon owner said they were told they could not blow dry hair because it would send particles into the air. Made no sense to me because if I have no symptoms wear a mask and they took my temperature outside before I was allowed in, why would blow dry be a problem?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 01:04 PM

Elaine--sorry, no, that cannot be the explanation. Obviously, they changed their minds.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 01:20 PM

It was a bit tongue in cheek. handshake

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 01:21 PM

OK, sorry.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
Colour1 you "tested before return...to salon..' It seems rules are different depending where one is located. Hubby went to barber different rules for when I went to hairdresser (same state).

But what surprised me is salon owner said they were told they could not blow dry hair because it would send particles into the air. Made no sense to me because if I have no symptoms wear a mask and they took my temperature outside before I was allowed in, why would blow dry be a problem?

Colour1 is a stylist, working in a salon, so it makes complete sense that he had to be tested before he could return to work. As far as different rules for different locations in the same state, I know here in NC, guidelines have been issued, but some businesses have imposed more stringent measures.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 03:59 PM

I understood he worked at a salon I just wonder what his clients had to do to enter. The no blow dry confused me.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 09:44 PM

Can you get a test if you have no symptoms?
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 10:10 PM

Yes, although that may very by testing site, but you should have somewhere in your area that has asymptomatic testing.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 10:20 PM

Its going to be a long time I am afraid before we get in an airplane let alone returning to St Martin.It just is not logical with no vaccine.It is all going to just start again with out a miracle.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by zeus1963
Can you get a test if you have no symptoms?

Not very easy on our state.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/23/2020 11:18 PM

I hoping that my primary care physician will be able to arrange for a test before my trip in January
Posted By: Mjc

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 02:04 AM

Anyone traveling first week of airport opening? We were suppose to travel July 3rd but still not sure if we should go. We can get the rapid test within 3 days

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 02:12 AM

Let's hope you don't need it by then.
Posted By: sxmBoston

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 11:58 AM

we are scheduled for July 16 and our friends on the 13th.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sxmBoston

Have you looked into what will be required when you return to the US? Are our borders even open yet?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
Originally Posted by sxmBoston

Have you looked into what will be required when you return to the US? Are our borders even open yet?

That's the grey area. Haven't seen what those requirements are.

Currently, we are working on a US alternative. Worse case scenario is that we stay domestic and we have AA and Airbnb credit.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:26 PM

Not to make a stupid comment, but would the airlines take you down island if you weren't allowed to return? Presumably, that would mean the pilots and flight attendants couldn't return either unless the flight down was repatriation flight??

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:30 PM

First commercial flight from the United States into St. Maarten since COVID-19 shutdown is scheduled for Thursday, July 2, 2020.

The Delta Airlines flight from Atlanta, Georgia, is expected to bring 75 passengers to the destination. However, this may change due to government's new requirement of a negative PCR test.

Travelers must receive the test results at least 72 hours before travel to the destination. (Further explanation: Travelers do not need to take the test 72 hours prior to travel. Travelers must have results in hand no less than 72 hours before travel.)

(Source: Govt. of St. Maarten via the Council of Ministers Press Briefing on Wednesday, June 24, 2020)

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:41 PM

Did they change the rules again today? As the previous rule was that the results had to be no MORE than 72 hours before travel.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:44 PM

A lot can happen from the time you take that test to getting results during that 72 hour window and boarding the plane. No guarantees that within that time you haven't been infected and are now a positive carrier.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Actually, that is incorrect--the results must be no MORE than 72 hours before arrival.

That cuts the time down considerably for us west coast travelers with an overnight flight schedule.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:47 PM

Probably what she meant, but that is exactly what she said today. I heard her. This is a transcript.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:50 PM

That is definitely NOT what the TEATT minister said yesterday. That is a major change, and makes ZERO sense. To say the test has to be MORE than 72 hours before, you could get one this month and travel in November and that is definitely more than 72 hours in advance!!

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 03:53 PM

But it is what she said today. Total confusion, everyone scratching their heads.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 04:03 PM

I listened to Minister de Weever yesterday on Island92, and I'm listening to a replay of today's press conference right now. What Prime Minister Jacobs just said (beginning around 26:30 into the replay) is, as has been mentioned by others, very different from what Minister De Weever said.

If I must receive the test results at least 72 hours before travel (Prime Minister Jacobs) then I could get tested today, and travel in July.

If I must receive the test results within 72 hours of travel (Minister de Weever), that makes more sense. I could get tested on Monday, get the results on Thursday, and fly on Saturday or Sunday - but no later than Sunday.

I expect that there will be further clarification.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 04:16 PM

I wonder whether the PM is confused, OR whether this is ANOTHER policy change, since last Friday, in which they stated that the Covid 19 test was 'recommended'. This change makes no sense. Everyone admits that a negative test result is good ONLY for that exact moment and the further it is in time from when the test was taken, the more likely that the person will get infected after the test. Why even require a test at all then?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/24/2020 05:26 PM

Not to make a stupid comment, but would the airlines take you down island if you weren't allowed to return? Presumably, that would mean the pilots and flight attendants couldn't return either unless the flight down was repatriation flight??

Probably not. I wasn't suggesting you'd get there and not be able to get home, just that there's more to this equation than what SXM allows.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 12:18 PM

We just cancelled our Airbnb since we were about to charged for the final amount. We will hold onto our flights for now. Hopefully, there will be more clarity, ie an official document, on the required testing. It doesn't make me extremely comfortable that everything we are reading is either on FB or here, and not from an official government website. It will also give us more time to see what the US re-entry requirements are.

Also, we will be able to see how the first 5-7 days goes with the entry procedures. If all goes well, it will be easy to pick up either our Airbnb or another similar one.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 01:06 PM

I'm surprised there has been nothing in the Daily Herald in the past few days regarding this. This morning, I have not been able to get to the DH page.

Has anyone seen anything with clarification regarding the PM's statement yesterday that the Covid test had to be OLDER than 72 hours?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 01:16 PM

The DH has not been available all morning for me either. Official clarification would be nice.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 01:42 PM

I've only been able to bring the main page up and there are no stories listed on the main page about the reopening.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonck
I've only been able to bring the main page up and there are no stories listed on the main page about the reopening.

Same here.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 03:21 PM

I'm surprised there has been nothing in the Daily Herald in the past few days regarding this. This morning, I have not been able to get to the DH page.

Has anyone seen anything with clarification regarding the PM's statement yesterday that the Covid test had to be OLDER than 72 hours?

To keep the confusion going, Minister de Weever, later in the Q+A period of the same press conference (around 1:04:00) essentially repeated what she said in the Island92 interview - within 72 hours. As a late arrival to the press conference, she was likely unaware of Prime Minister Jacobs phrasing.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 03:32 PM

OK, to me that means that either the PM was confused or just mis-spoke.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 04:59 PM

The Daily Herald

Dear e-subscribers and other readers. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our website, but hope to restore full online service within short. Thank you for your patience

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 05:02 PM

Still not working but lots of their articles can be found on their Facebook with full text posted.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 05:13 PM

...which is a violation of copyright laws...

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 05:19 PM

...which is a violation of copyright laws...

It's posted on their own Facebook page so no copyright laws are broken.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 05:21 PM

For those on Facebook here is their page.
https://www.facebook.com/heraldsxm/

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 06:03 PM

OK, good, but your note certainly didn't give the impression that it was their own page..

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 06:07 PM

I just edited it to include "their".

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 06:41 PM

thanks

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/25/2020 07:44 PM

The Herald is up and running again.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/26/2020 02:43 PM

To anyone flying American Airlines to SXM, as of July 1st, they will no longer be limiting seat capacity to maintain social distancing. All seats will be available and your flight might be full.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...lock-seats-social-distancing/3262862001/

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/26/2020 04:08 PM

That is a risk and a decision passengers will have to make if they elect to fly with AA. I look for other airlines to follow the same path.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/26/2020 04:15 PM

Absolutely. Airlines have been bleeding money. They cannot afford to have 1/3 of the plane empty at this point, if they can actually sell the seats.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/26/2020 11:39 PM

It looks like they are taking advantage of SXM's new requirement that arrivals must have proof that they have been recently tested and found to be without the virus.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 01:57 AM

July 1st will be a great day for SXM. Open and strong for whatever life brings!

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
July 1st will be a great day for SXM. Open and strong for whatever life brings!

Or a turning point with tourist bringing covid to island. Time will tell. US tourist have no business going there now with the current infection rate.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
[US tourist have no business going there now with the current infection rate.

There is no reason for a US citizen not to go if they know they're not infected. The island needs tourist dollars.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 11:26 AM

If only that was possible.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 11:45 AM

If only that was possible.

I believe it is. I'll be tested before I come. After I receive the negative results, I'll be just as cautious as I'm being now. I don't want to get sick just as much as you don't want me to bring the virus to the island.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 12:17 PM

The incubation period for Covid 19 is 7 to 14 days. What that means is that it could take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear. I believe that also means it could take a similar amount of time for you to test positive, from the date of exposure. The PCR test is better than nothing, but all it proves is that you are negative at that moment in time.. There are countless cases of people who test negative and then test positive a few days later.
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 12:30 PM

Parts of the US are seeing much better statistics. Here in Rhode Island we have seen thousands of cases but the rate has dropped considerably. Our recent rate of positive test results has been nearing 1%. Hopefully going to Mary's Boon in mid-September.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 12:44 PM

The incubation period for Covid 19 is 7 to 14 days. What that means is that it could take up to 14 days for symptoms to appear. I believe that also means it could take a similar amount of time for you to test positive, from the date of exposure. The PCR test is better than nothing, but all it proves is that you are negative at that moment in time.. There are countless cases of people who test negative and then test positive a few days later.

I don't know all of the medical facts (even the doctors don't), but I do know that you don't have to exhibit symptoms to test positive. Regardless, I know that I'm doing everything that I can do to avoid getting sick, short of never leaving my house. If tourists don't return to the island, its economy will die a slow and painful death, and that's a fact.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 01:04 PM

That is a given--if tourists don't return to the island, a large percentage of island residents will not be able to feed themselves.
Posted By: Deepcut

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 01:05 PM

I am a surgeon so not infectious disease specialist.
Yes, a negative test indicates you very likely were negative on that day. (PCR is not 100% accurate).
So in addition to negative testing, you need to "follow the rules" (Isolation, mask, face shield, hand hygiene) PROPERLY, which means mask covers mouth AND nose, I personally will wear N95 mask in high risk areas(on the plane and other crowded areas). Also if feeling bad, self isolate (which may mean not taking flight you are suppose to take in a few hours).... Mentaly, this is hard to do.
This needs to be ongoing weeks before trip and continue on the trip.
Outside, away from others, remove mask. Luckily I will be on boat,

Doing everything right, and you still have a risk of virus. Not doing EVERYTHING as you will greatly increase your risk of infection (and thus increase risk of others.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deepcut
I am a surgeon so not infectious disease specialist.
Yes, a negative test indicates you very likely were negative on that day. (PCR is not 100% accurate).
So in addition to negative testing, you need to "follow the rules" (Isolation, mask, face shield, hand hygiene) PROPERLY, which means mask covers mouth AND nose, I personally will wear N95 mask in high risk areas(on the plane and other crowded areas). Also if feeling bad, self isolate (which may mean not taking flight you are suppose to take in a few hours).... Mentaly, this is hard to do.
This needs to be ongoing weeks before trip and continue on the trip.
Outside, away from others, remove mask. Luckily I will be on boat,

Doing everything right, and you still have a risk of virus. Not doing EVERYTHING as you will greatly increase your risk of infection (and thus increase risk of others.

Exactly!!
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 03:28 PM

Yes indeed and not looking nor thinking in that direction . But thanks for your genuine feelings .

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 03:40 PM

If only I could get a N95 mask!!!!! but until then it's throw-aways and cloth to protect others, not myself.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 03:58 PM

I didn't bother to look at it very hard, but I actually saw an N95 mask on the Staples website the other day. Have no idea whether you could actually get it from them or not. I'm not sure whether the CDC guidance has changed, but they were telling people specifically NOT to get N95 masks, and to save them for medical professionals.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 04:09 PM

I have some N95 masks and I can tell you they are not very comfortable to wear or try and breathe through.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 07:59 PM

What masks are?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 08:09 PM

I have two different cloth masks and some disposable ones, and other than the disposable ones I got that had straps around the HEAD, versus on the ears, they aren't uncomfortable.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 08:15 PM

I have quite a few cloth masks and find them uncomfortable to breathe through.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 08:35 PM

OK. I have not worn one for more than about an hour, because we basically never go anywhere, but I can certainly tolerate it for an hour.
Posted By: Cathyg

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 08:44 PM

we have several masks...one is a buff we bought for Africa to keep out dust on safari. One is from our insurance company. One is from Jamaica I special ordered to contribute to the Children's fund and one is a disposable mask. We rarely go out and use them...and the buff is by far the most comfortable. We ALWAYS use something. If I go to an establishment and the WORKERS do not have on a mask...I leave. It is the LEAST you can do.

It has nothing to do with rights...it has to do with respect. I can be inconvenienced to keep others safe. I hope you feel the same way.
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/27/2020 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cathyg
If I go to an establishment and the WORKERS do not have on a mask...I leave. It is the LEAST you can do.

It has nothing to do with rights...it has to do with respect. I can be inconvenienced to keep others safe. I hope you feel the same way.

We couldn't agree more.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 11:29 AM

OK. I have not worn one for more than about an hour, because we basically never go anywhere, but I can certainly tolerate it for an hour.

Us as well. But the thought of a 4 hours flight wearing it I cannot imagine! Plus pinch nose part and they still fog up my glasses. Cloth are worse.

Yes everywhere says N95 for medical only not general use. SXMScubaman you say N95 not comfortable but i'd rather suffer protecting myself than suffer and not.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 12:49 PM

I agree that fogging up glasses is an issue. If I wear my contacts, no problem, but they say that having glasses on is actually some protection.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 02:33 PM

Wonder if there will be a Kiosk selling N-95 masks sitting out side all Airports ?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 03:03 PM

There probably will be selling masks but not N95's....

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 03:08 PM

I just bought a packet of 50 count metal adhesive strips made to put on masks from Amazon. One day delivery with prime. Works great and kept glasses from fogging by easily molding to face.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 03:54 PM

I haven't had any problem at all with my glasses fogging while wearing a mask. As long as I make sure that the frame of the glasses is sitting on top of the mask, it's a non-issue.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 04:10 PM

Scubaman--huh. Interesting. I usually just wear my contacts though. Georgia--I think you must be the only person who HASN'T had that problem.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 04:21 PM

Carol. They really work great. Especially on those non medical cloth masks that don't come with a built in metal strip. Allows you to close that gap between mask and skin.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 06:42 PM

ok
Posted By: irina

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/28/2020 11:53 PM

No, I agree with Georgia. If your glasses rest on mask, there should be no fogging of glasses.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/29/2020 12:14 AM

Doesn't work that way for me.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/29/2020 10:33 AM

Eye doctor told me to coat glasses with anti-fog product. He also said that if a person doesn't emit high body heat glasses stay clear.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/29/2020 01:44 PM

Guess I have a hot body. Lol
Posted By: Shelby2

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/29/2020 05:06 PM

And I will add one better...try glasses, cloth masks and HOT FLASHES!! Foggy, steamy hot and sweaty...ugh, not fun.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/29/2020 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
Eye doctor told me to coat glasses with anti-fog product. He also said that if a person doesn't emit high body heat glasses stay clear.

High body heat here, too.
They fog no matter how hard I try to keep the glasses on top---but it does help.

We can get N95 at drugstores near us, but with the double straps going over your head, it is difficult to get them on and off
through your hair. Behind the ear, you can take them off for a breather, when you have the opportunity.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/29/2020 08:13 PM

Our power company just sent us a box with a free bottle of hand sanitizer, 4 LED light bulbs and 2 N95 masks that have the elastic bands that wrap around the ear. Much more comfortable than my N95 masks that have those 2 elastic straps that go around your head. When i wear those I only use 1 strap. Though it was a nice thing to send out to all their customers.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 01:17 PM

I must say here in Connecticut we have done a very good job so far . The real test will be when we open up the bars and clubs . It seems everyone has been complying with the restrictions not happy but the things we must do to keep safe

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 01:22 PM

Apparently there is going to be another change. Press conference now scheduled for 2:30 PM this afternoon.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 02:10 PM

Just posted about requirements for entry. Nothing about flights.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...et=a.100468197628&type=3&theater

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 02:36 PM

I don't understand why they use Facebook for official notices, but whatever, since anyone can read it. Doesn't look any different except for the insurance requirement. I guess they will go over the insurance requirement at the press conference.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 03:14 PM

"travelers must purchase their own travel insurance....'

Does this mean mandatory proof of travel insurance or you can't get in?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 03:17 PM

Probably because it's quick.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 03:17 PM

Apparently. I guess there will be more details released at the press conference.
Posted By: CaribEagle

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 03:25 PM

Anxiously awaiting another press conference.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 03:53 PM

Recommendations on travel insurance from anyone. Actually never felt the need, but if required obviously I will get some.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 04:12 PM

You need to wait until they tell us what TYPE of insurance you need. I have a feeling that it may require Covid 19 insurance, which is difficult to get. They may be announcing they have set up an insurance pool like Aruba has done, and if so, possibly that will be the type required?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 04:20 PM

Anxiously waiting. Really miss being there but it just doesn't seem to be meant to be this year.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 04:37 PM

For sure, many people are very anxious to go. With the way Florida cases are exploding right now, I don't think we're going anywhere, regardless of what SXM does..

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 05:11 PM

The states that have higher counts of covid are the ones that have the airports that service flights to SXM. Not good.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 05:15 PM

I wonder what that means to canadians flying thru these airports.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 05:17 PM

Flights out of Florida not allowed to SXM.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...owed-closure-to-rest-of-us-to-be-decided

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 05:20 PM

Anyone who wants a test in Florida can get one. I know SXMscubaman said he could not get a test. I'm curious what other areas of the country where people can not get a covid-19 test.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 05:41 PM

Wilson--I don't know that is true everywhere even in Florida. Regardless, the problem is that Covid in Florida is freaking out of control.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 07:10 PM

The reason I asked that is because every major population center in Florida has testing sites run by the Florida Department of Heath where covid-19 test are done regardless of symptoms though some only do 18 and older. Also certain CVS and Wal-Marts have testing sites as well. In the case of CVS, there are 30 locations with 30 miles of my zip-code where I can make an appointment and have the test done. You can search on their website to see what locations offer testing. I'm curious how access to testing is available in other states. The ease of access to testing is what drives our numbers. Most of the people testing positive are asymptomatic, so if they did not have easy access to testing, they would not know they were positive.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 07:36 PM

Wilson--If you listen to the EXPERTS, the numbers in Florida cannot be pegged just to increased testing. And the percentage of positive cases has been double the previous weeks.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 07:55 PM

https://www.facebook.com/SXMGOV/photos/rpp.354761848028480/1669538299884155/?type=3&theater

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/airport-opening-to-us-postponed-for-2-weeks
Posted By: mort

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 09:44 PM

Stay safe. We are doing our part here so that we may come back when it is safe for you and us.
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 06/30/2020 11:48 PM

I agree about coming back when it is safe for us and you. I'm not at the point that I need to go back to the island so badly that I would want to stay overnight in a hotel and then get on a plane. I think the island will be surprised at how few really want to get back so soon. Hope everyone running a business there can make due until the winter or spring because from all the conversation I am seeing on this web site not a lot of people are thinking of coming back in the near future. I also feel that the Prime Minister is doing what she thinks is the right thing to do for the health and well being of the people on the island. Just hope she is right for the business owners who are not making enough money to feed their families and pay the rent.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 07/01/2020 01:24 PM

Did anyone else listen to the Press Conference? My understanding is that there was a major concern about the elevated number of COVID-19 cases in the US, plus less-major concerns about pressure from French-side, and also concerns about pressure from the other Dutch islands and the Netherlands.

My takeaway is that “2 weeks” is an assessment point, 2 weeks may turn into 4 weeks, but that 30 days is a red line.

Did you listen? What is your takeaway?

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 07/01/2020 01:29 PM

Yes, exactly. Decision to close to US happened very fast. Health of the population won out over economics.

We listen to them all.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 07/01/2020 02:22 PM

Bahston- I think you are correct 2 weeks could easily turn to 4 weeks. However, I do think that the French side pressure to close the border probably lead to the total US exclusion. I could see a scenario whereby certain states are not allowed in as well.

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 07/01/2020 02:30 PM

Nope. The Ministers clearly stated several times the overriding reason was the state of the US. They are working on border protocols if Dutch side status changes.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 02:53 PM

I suppose it is possible to isolate your island paradise for the moment, but hated to say it, folks will suffer big time and perhaps permanently financially as this will be an issue for at least another year.

Another two weeks here, two weeks there, before you know it August and we will attempt back to kindergarten and off to college season. Next we will be in full flu season, the holidays and then winter.

In the USA, almost everyone,except totally isolated hermits, will meet the coronavirus.

SXM can lock its doors to the USA, but mr corona is going to slip in under that door. Maybe from Europe or another island.

I think a more educated and prudent policy is to require of every human, regardless of country, to have a PCR test to board the plane and to retest on island arrival. Perhaps a test on departure to protect the rest of the world.

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:02 PM

Nope. The Ministers clearly stated several times the overriding reason was the state of the US. They are working on border protocols if Dutch side status changes.

The situation here in the US is no different than last week when they made the announcement saying they were going to allow Americans. There is no way Sint Maarten opens to USA until the EU allows Americans. Sint Maarten is not going to risk forcing Saint Martin to close their border.

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:09 PM

Not true

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:10 PM

How about the folks up north get over themselves and start doing the right thing?

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:23 PM

Don't paint us all with the same brush. Many of us wear masks, social distance and take all necessary precautions. Not like a lot of locals on St Maarten that I see pictures of on Facebook in bars and restaurants hugging each other, dancing, and sitting in large groups without masks or social distancing.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Airport reopening to US postponed for two weeks - 07/01/2020 03:37 PM

With the EU banning US citizens from entering europe, won't that affect French St martin also? Maybe both sides?

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:39 PM

How about the folks up north get over themselves and start doing the right thing?

Wow... you do realize that over 99% of the "folks up north" have NOT tested positive for the virus and I can tell you that the vast majority of the people I come around are practicing social distancing and wearing mask when in close contact.
Posted By: pat

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:48 PM

Hey! I managed to get my hair cut and colored and a mani-pedi, too, so I guess I'm set for a t least another month or two. Or three? Mmmmmm - maybe that's pushing it but..............

I think we all need to take a deep breath and chill. The island will do whatever it does, for whatever reasons it chooses and we have no option but to accept their decisions. I'm hopeful to return in November but if it's not safe, I'm not going.

In the meantime, I'll continue wearing my mask, accepting the local decisions here at home as to what I can do and what I can't and I will continue to practice social distancing. And at the same time I will hope that my island friends are able to survive financially through this frightening time. And I seriously hope and pray we all stay healthy and get through this pandemic safely.

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:48 PM

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 03:52 PM

Not true

Do you see a situation where Sint Maarten allows Americans and the EU still not allowing Americans? This would force Saint Martin to either close their border or setup border checkpoints to check for passports. I just don't see the that happening.

Re: PJIA opens to tourists July 1 - 07/01/2020 04:12 PM

OK, not addressed to anyone in particular, but as our 'voice of reason' has stated, everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill. I am closing this thread and will open another one, in which CIVIL comments will reign..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline