TravelTalkOnline

Club Orient: Will it ever re-open?

Posted By: CarlosII

Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/20/2020 03:18 PM

I've not seen any information on the status of Club O and whether or not it will ever re-open as a naturist resort.

Any updates?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/20/2020 03:29 PM

I think that ship has sailed.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/20/2020 03:55 PM

Respectfully, Scuba, you have NO idea what's going on there..
Posted By: thesimpsons

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/20/2020 03:57 PM

From what I understand, it is still in litigation and NOBODY knows the answer to your question at this time.
Have not seen any updates recently.
Posted By: CarlosII

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/20/2020 04:58 PM

Thanks for the information. Their FB page was encouraging.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/21/2020 08:29 AM

All that has been posted on FB is that Cedric is working the beach. Chairs, umbrella's beverages. But nothing about the resort. IMHO. The entire place will need to be bulldosed down. I walked over there last November. It was in really bad shape. My heart breaks for those that stayed there.
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/27/2020 08:46 PM

Incredibly sad....
Posted By: Cathyg

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/27/2020 08:54 PM

From all of the things I have read...if and WHEN Club Orient reopens...it will not be the same resort. The new laws concerning beach proximity etc...will make the changes necessary for law compliance. The character of the resort will be completely changed. Vacations are very personal...and there is no right or wrong. There is what is right for me. I don't see us ever going back to Club Orient and after 15 years... I mourn for it every single day.

We finished our basement in knotty pine, we put beige porcelain tiles on the floor. We have bird feeders and squirrel feeders outside and we eat lunch on our patio just like we did in Fort Apache. It is the best we can do.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/27/2020 09:30 PM

Of course Club Orient will return but only if the owners agree to what and how to redevelop the property. They were approved from the Collectivity to rebuild a multistory building with 200 rooms. That is a start and from there can claim back the beach and create that CO living. It takes time!
Posted By: Cathyg

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/27/2020 09:58 PM

All of the "owners" have to agree. In addition...club Orient is bankrupt. Which means....no office, no boutique, no restaurant, no laundry, no gym, etc. Can it happen? sure....but Mullet bay was still in litigation and complete destruction 20 years after the hurricane. Will club Orient be back in my lifetime and will it be like it was? doubtful. Will I pay to be in a multistory building far from the beach with no amenities? I doubt it.

So something might be resurrected on the property...will it be the same? nope
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/28/2020 02:14 PM

Random thoughts.
* we are in a 100 year pandemic, if that doesn’t soften positions what will?
* great potential for tectonic shift in travel industry with airlines junking planes they just bought and cruiselines junking ships they would have sold to others.
*travel could get very expensive and exclusive again due to massive reductions in capacity/volume
* There is great demand for AN at the Club Orient Beach. - best umbrella breeze/view on the planet.
* there is great demand for the old CO resort and its “ambiance”
* potential settlement could put the property into non-nudists hands
* building a “safer” property could attract more non-nudist interests
* the longer this goes on the more the old clientele move on, age or die.
* many of the majority might quickly sell their rebuilt share
* I’m OK with different buildings and stories, probably dont want to walk from a room at the boutique are to the beach. Im ok doing that once or twice a day for croissants and beer.
*They’ll need to give guests golfcarts

* Hoping those involved wake up and make a DEAL. I think they have until winter 2020 to have a plan In action to rebuild.
* i dont care who caves at this point
* in fact, i think i just imposed a deadline on them for us.
* December will be our last migration to SXM without a Club O in the rebuild.
* We have contemplated since booking to scrap and head to other islands/countries.
* our tickets are refundable FFets, it would cost us two nights lodging deposit to move on - we might.
* no time like today to announce a settlement
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline