TravelTalkOnline

Air France Diversion

Posted By: Whale Tail

Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 05:42 PM

Does anyone know why scheduled Air France #498 to arrive in SXM proceeded to Guadeloupe instead? Just curious.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 06:17 PM

Maybe this is why.
https://www.facebook.com/721news/videos/728072691343196
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 07:16 PM

is this link at PJIA? Noticed no-one wearing face masks.
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 07:23 PM

There was a flight plan for AF 498 to leave PTP at 2:33 pm and land at SXM at 2:53, however, that flight was cancelled.

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by RonDon
is this link at PJIA? Noticed no-one wearing face masks.

Yes.

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 07:34 PM

Try and find a mask here.
https://www.facebook.com/ginette.godin.56/videos/3083828558368392
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 07:37 PM

OK, guys, not every post has to be about Covid. Please stay on topic.

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 07:39 PM

I had difficulty understanding but I think one gentleman said another meeting is scheduled for Friday and that workers agreed to work Thursday and possibly Friday but if they don't get satisfaction they plan to close the airport until they do.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 08:04 PM

I couldn't understand anything being said or shouted. What are they protesting against? What are their demands?

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 08:10 PM

Thanks Scubaman I think you nailed it. Turns out to be a bigger story than a plane diversion. When I was watching AF498 approach to SXM it would turn south and then west and repeat. So I said to my wife I think Air France has a new pilot on board and he's lost. LOL. Will follow this story on The Herald.
And to all my fellow Canadian SXM lovers. Happy Canada Day canada

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
I couldn't understand anything being said or shouted. What are they protesting against? What are their demands?

I think airport workers have not been paid since Irma so they're refusing to work until that is settled.

There were two videos. First I didn't understand at all. Second one had a lady claiming to speak for all and I understood little except "we all have mouths to feed..." Near end of that video a gentleman came forward and spoke to someone off camera and said something like if the people don't get paid they will not work. He said airport will open Thursday but close again if the meeting on Friday is not satisfactory to the workers and stay closed until payments are made.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/01/2020 11:12 PM

I find it extremely hard to believe that they haven't been paid since Irma, since the airport has been operational for well over a year since then. Heck, we've been back twice since Irma. There must be another explanation. Perhaps there's some back pay they're due for the times when the airport's been closed?

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 12:14 AM

Agreed, there is no WAY the airport workers have not been paid since Irma. The Dutch have demanded salary reductions for a bunch of SXM government workers in exchange for the latest amount of aid, so that is probably it.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 09:49 AM

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 11:02 AM

The airport could be the tip of the iceberg for entities on island strapped for operating cash.

Looks like someone might have to find some dough to pay these folks.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 12:25 PM

Back pay is the problem since Irma.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
The airport could be the tip of the iceberg for entities on island strapped for operating cash.

Looks like someone might have to find some dough to pay these folks.

My personal guess is that most entities on the island are strapped for cash at this point. Not sure how one finds "dough to pay these folks" when there has been no dough coming in for 4 months.

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 01:06 PM

Lesley--so what are we talking here? Were they not paid at all for months, did they get less pay? For some reason, I haven't heard about this before.

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Back pay is the problem since Irma.

Thanks Leslie for confirming I did understand that video correctly.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 04:41 PM

And they KNOW that they owe them money....

You can't expect people to continue working for free.

Planes can't land without the fire brigage.

"back pay due starting from 2017 – their main grievance – as well as other allowances and benefits such as bonuses, vacation pay, incremental salary increases, and cost of living adjustments (COLAs).

Management does not deny that the back pay is long overdue, and had been promised,?

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 05:11 PM

Again, how MUCH back pay? I really doubt they have been paid NOTHING since Irma. That makes no sense. Nobody does that, works for 2.5 years with no pay. That's silly.

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 06:12 PM

Air France #498 finally arrived.
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 07:40 PM

The daily herald referred to it as a cargo flight, so I am assuming no passengers.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 07:51 PM

If you look at this information, the flight was definitely a PASSENGER FLIGHT. No matter what the DH says, wink

https://air-france.flight-status.info/
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/02/2020 08:20 PM

It was definitely a "passenger plane" but could have only had cargo on it and no passengers.
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Air France Diversion - 07/03/2020 03:20 AM

I believe it came in no passengers but was repatriation flight going back to France.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline