TravelTalkOnline

AA and Jet Blue

Posted By: sugarae

AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 01:35 PM

I just got an E-Mail that AA and Jet blue are partners !
Posted By: boucharda

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 01:54 PM

With what?

This:

AA JB link
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 01:54 PM

Just got the same email. Should be interesting to see what benefits this provides but should be a good thing.

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 01:56 PM

Today, we’re excited to announce a new partnership with JetBlue to bring you more choice, more benefits and the opportunity to reach more destinations with ease.

This new relationship brings:

Improved Experience
Get to your destination with ease by booking a single ticket with either airline for one-stop check-in and seamless connections. You’ll also enjoy an improved on-the-ground experience and more comfort in transcontinental service with access to JetBlue’s Mint and American’s three-class Transcon service.

New Routes
Beginning in 2021, this new relationship gives you access to more destinations from New York (JFK) including Tel Aviv (TLV), Athens (ATH), and the return of seasonal service to Rio de Janeiro (GIG). In the future, this new partnership is certain to facilitate American adding new long-haul markets in Europe, Africa, India and South America.

Loyalty Benefits
We’re always looking for ways to expand value for our AAdvantage® members. We look forward to sharing information about new loyalty benefits for AAdvantage® and TrueBlue members soon.

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 01:56 PM

The above was email received from American.
Posted By: pat

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 02:15 PM

It sounds as if perhaps they're going back to the original agreements they had in place when JB first came into existence. Wish that, rather than opening up a can of worms all shaped as question marks, they'd given us more details. I read the original email and didn't see any real info there but I'm sure it will all follow soon enough.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 02:17 PM

I read it and now wonder if the direct from BOS to SXM will disappear and JB will add more flights from JFK?
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 02:28 PM

I agree with you, Pat, that if they were making an announcement--then make it!! It doesn't really say anything. Leads me to believe that rather than AA going out of business they will combine with Jet Blue in the future. Good for those of us that have miles with both so they hopefully would not be lost. Having said that, I hope that it will improve the customer service which has been going down hill for a long time.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 03:14 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/in-..._TzKZTQgC3qjYc2osh3257veblEy6qa1ylUViXIY
Posted By: timnboston

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 06:12 PM

More consolidation will just mean fewer choices and higher prices for travelers

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 07:39 PM

Some see it that way but I don't. Just more options.
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 10:04 PM

Talk about opposites attracting. The reason most people fly JetBlue is to get away from carriers like AA.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 11:14 PM

I enjoy JetBlue, but as others on this forum say, they’re just another airline. This is hopefully going to work out well for us because we canceled our trip this summer and ended up with travel bank funds for Jetblue. But AA would actually be the more convenient option for us (hopefully) next year.
Posted By: Tom

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/16/2020 11:14 PM

Saw this on the news today with some commentary that the current United and Delta flight dominance in the Northeast is the target for this new partnership.
Posted By: Wingman

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 10:30 AM

I believe what the intent here at least for AA, is similar to what they have with Air Alaska. I have friends that travel here to the east coast from the northwest. From time to time, even though they have booked through AA, their 1st leg or so of the trip is actually flown on Air Alaska. They would book, pay and sometimes use AA miles for this. I'm not sure how the 2 airlines "work things out", but of the times I've known this to happen, it was seamless for the passengers.

I know a lot of us who live in the north east have been spoiled over the years with flights to SXM, but the last few years have been becoming more and more difficult to get convenient flights to SXM and home, especially since American stopped their direct flights from JFK and their connecting flights through SJU(San Juan). HOPEFULLY, this will restore more and better options. I have flights for the end of October into November. Coming home to BDL(Hartford), it is impossible to get home in 1 day without over nighting in MIA or CLT. If I have to add one more day to my trip, I'd rather that it be in SXM, lol.

I'm looking at this with a half full glass and hoping this will be a good thing. If the 2 airlines were merging, I'd be concerned about consolidation. But this is a partnering deal, not a merging deal. I believe that this new deal must be approved by the FAA and federal regulators as well, so the ink is not dry on this deal yet.
Posted By: pat

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 12:32 PM

Well stated. Thank you, Mike. Time will tell.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 01:07 PM

Mike--I hope you're right, that this is not in preparation to merge, as that would be the WORST of all worlds, as far as flights to SXM for me. Since Jet Blue came to FLL, flights on AA from Miami have been significantly cheaper. I am not optimistic, as far as this change.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 01:39 PM

The funny thing about this is at one time American had all the Caribbean and they screwed up with there poor service ,then they merged with US AIR and things got worst as far as I’m concerned to get to SXM from Hartford required a over night both ways . The Jet Blue from JFK is perfect in all aspects cost and time let’s see how they can mess it up . I find Jet Blue to be Avery good airline I hope they continue to be that .
Posted By: Bahston

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 03:07 PM

By my reading, this is nothing more than an interlining agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 03:10 PM

Been flying SXM-BDL for years US Air then AA and have never had to overnight. Has this changed?
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bahston
By my reading, this is nothing more than an interlining agreement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining

No, interlining doesn't allow you to sell seats on the other airlines flight. Now, in case of IROPS (Irregular Operations), they can endorse your ticket over to the other airline through an interline agreement, but they pay the airline for that seat. Selling seats on the other carrier requires more than an interline agreement.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 03:38 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Actually when I thought it over, after loosing our AA miles lol, it might get better---certainly
couldn't get worse with AA. LOL
Posted By: Wingman

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 08:41 PM

Elaine, exactly my point, I've been doing this for years and never had to overnight. I'm scheduled to leave the first week of November to come home. From Sunday(Nov 1st) through Sat(Nov 7th), with the exception of that Saturday, all the others you have to overnight. This is on American. The American flight from SXM to MIA doesn't leave until around 5:30 or so. It puts it into MIA too late to make the connection to BDL.

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 09:33 PM

With fewer passengers flying it affects flight schedules and available flights. Probably won't know what the new normal is until......well....things return to normal. Let's hope that comes sooner rather than later.

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/17/2020 09:36 PM

Correct....flights right now are just weird

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/18/2020 12:21 AM

My flight from SXM to MIA next May leaves at 2:38 which gives me a hour fifty for my connection to SEA. But that can all change by then.

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/18/2020 07:57 PM

BTW...general response. I just found out that JB has changed their fare perks. Used to be Blue Basic got only a carry on....now no advance seat selection. Blue got one checked bag...now none but advance seat selection. SO around $30 to select your seat...no free checked bag anymore.

JB + Mastercard ($99/year) gets the free bag for up to four travelers

Re: AA and Jet Blue - 07/19/2020 12:04 AM

"JB + Mastercard ($99/year) gets the free bag for up to four travelers"
AA and Alaska Air have always done that for domestic flights.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline