TravelTalkOnline

Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR

Posted By: wanderer01

Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 12:22 AM

did anyone get approval for entry and submit a regular PCR test? Does the lab report state the test is RT-PCR? I've called a few places and they said the Rt-PCR is also known as PCR, very confused.. ugh
Posted By: Koninklijke Luchtvaart

Re: Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 02:11 AM

Awaiting approval currently, but any PCR test used for diagnostic purposes is an rt-PCR test.

Re: Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 02:39 AM

thank you for the response. I am hearing so many conflicting things, I called EHAS and the guy I spoke with said RT-pcr is different than PCR, which completely confused me. Please let me know when you receive your approval. THANK YOU
Posted By: Koninklijke Luchtvaart

Re: Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 03:13 AM

If they give you a tough time, I'd ask them to explain the difference between rt-PCR and PCR. Should make for a good laugh.
The real test is an rt-qPCR test, but I doubt anyone actually has "q" printed on their tests.

Re: Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 03:33 AM

see the follow-up email exchange I had with the EHAS office, after my confusing phone call. The person responding said the "method of application" is different? No idea what that means?

-------------------
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 12:53 PM
To: EHAS <EHAS@sintmaartengov.org>
Subject: Question on testing

According to the labs I have called, the rt-pcr and pcr are same test? Specifically, Diagnostic tests are broken down into two types: molecular tests, which identify the virus's genetic material, and antigen tests, which detect certain proteins on the surface of the virus. Among molecular tests, the most common is the RT-PCR test, or more simply PCR test.
------------------

Date: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 1:31 PM

Subject: RE: Question on testing

Good afternoon,

Only the rt-PCR test is accepted for entry. The difference Is the method of application.

Regards,
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 02:29 PM

I am getting the same confusing information regarding the rapid tests. I found a place who says they do the BD Veritor--they couldn't say if it was Beckton Dickinson--but I am assuming that is what BD stands for. I absolutely could be wrong on that. I emailed them to ask what specific info the needed to have on the results as I didn't think this test goes through a lab--again could be wrong on that. They emailed me back that I must provide proof of a negative test!!

I responded that I was absolutely aware of that but what specific info did they need--was anything at all they sent me back ok to use when I fill out the form requesting entry. The info they want for the rt-PCR test is very specific, but not so much for the rapid antigen tests.

I guess I will just have to wait and see how they e-mail me back.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrWhiskerssammy
I am getting the same confusing information regarding the rapid tests. I found a place who says they do the BD Veritor--they couldn't say if it was Beckton Dickinson--but I am assuming that is what BD stands for. I absolutely could be wrong on that. I emailed them to ask what specific info the needed to have on the results as I didn't think this test goes through a lab--again could be wrong on that. They emailed me back that I must provide proof of a negative test!!

I responded that I was absolutely aware of that but what specific info did they need--was anything at all they sent me back ok to use when I fill out the form requesting entry. The info they want for the rt-PCR test is very specific, but not so much for the rapid antigen tests.

I guess I will just have to wait and see how they e-mail me back.

That would be the Becton Dickinson test. Good luck.

BD Veritor

From the EHAS site:

5.Alternatively, travelers originating from a country that is categorized as high or moderate risk can do an antigen test for the SARS-COV-2 virus obtained from a naso-pharyngeal swab performed within 48 hours prior to departure to Sint Maarten. Only the following antigen tests are approved: the Becton Dickinson (BD) Veritor Plus, the Abbott Panbio, the Abott BinaxNow and the Roche/SD Biosensor F antigen tests. Tests performed outside of the 48 hours period or other brand and type of antigen tests will not be accepted.
Posted By: Headcounter

Re: Help! RT-PCR vs. PCR - 12/10/2020 09:01 PM

We couldn’t find anywhere near us to get the rt-PCR test. We got and submitted our PCR test results and were approved quickly. No issues when we arrived last week. YMMV.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline