TravelTalkOnline

Traveling with CPAP machine

Posted By: EdB

Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 02:05 AM

I don't believe that I have seen this topic before...and now with March coming up, am wondering if anyone here does travel with their CPAP machine in tow. I am more concerned about the logistics of carrying it on board, going through customs, and TSA, etc. It won't be used on the plane but am wondering how others have fared with this. Also, if they have had TSA problems, with them maybe not knowing what it is etc. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: bslk

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 02:16 AM

I traveled with mine several times to SXM never had a problem. We always just do carryon never checked it.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 03:22 AM

Many airlines don't count it as one of your allowed carry-ons.
Posted By: VegasCanadian

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 04:22 AM

Yeah I travel everywhere with mine and never have a problem. You carry it on but it doesn't count as a piece of carry on luggage. They will likely ask you to take the actual device out at security and send it through the scanner separately but smooth sailing outside of that.
Posted By: thesimpsons

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 06:49 AM

I’ve traveled numerous times with mine. It is considered a medical device and is not counted as a carryon. Even prior to Covid I always put all of the components in individual sealable gallon bags for sanitary purposes, in the event it was inspected.

Edited to add TSA etc. know what they are.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 01:45 PM

We have never had a problem with it or any other medical device been doing it for the last 18 years
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 02:19 PM

ED,
I've been taking my CPAP machine for years. You will have no problem. It is considered a medical devise.
When going thru security, I put it a separate bin inside carrying case and unzip the top of bag. You will not have a
problem. My machine has tons of FF miles (LOL). just don't forget to get your distilled water.
Bob
Posted By: MrTim-BTV

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 03:13 PM

I was not aware of that, this is great news. I just got mine about 2 months ago. I love it, could not imagine trying to sleep without it. So much easier to sleep, when you don't have to keep one eye open, to watch for my wife standing over me with a knife, just waiting for the next time I snore!

MrTim
Posted By: mpacote

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 07:59 PM

Both my wife & I have CPAPs and we take them all the time. With TSA-Pre approval both stay in our roll-aboard through security. Never been an issue. Just got back from SXM with them.

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 08:31 PM

Thank you one and all for the quick responses. This is a new chapter for me...only been using one for the past couple of months. Is distilled water readily available on the island?? Carrefour have it? Anyone know if Maho market does? Thanks again.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 08:49 PM

Isn't the desalinated fresh water pretty much the same as distilled?
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 08:55 PM

I get distilled water at Carrefour.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/29/2020 10:09 PM

Yes, distilled water is available. I requested it from my resort and they delivered a gallon to my unit for only a 4.00
charge. (LOL) But, I slept like a baby.
Posted By: Maranjo

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/30/2020 03:37 PM

You will have no problem with the CPAP. In fact , you are not supposed to pack the machine. You should carry it in the open so that it can be seen and examined, it needed, separately by TSA. For those that mentioned different waters, you should stay with distilled water. In fact cruise ships and many reputable hotel will supply you with distilled water in your cabin/room. The CPAP machine is a medical device that can keep you alive wile you sleep.
Posted By: mgh

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/30/2020 03:55 PM

just throwing this out there....another alternative to the CPAP is Inspire Sleep Apnea Innovation. Go to www.inspiresleep.com and read up on it and see if it's for you. I have a friend who had the procedure and swears by it.

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 12/31/2020 02:31 AM

Thank you all for all the input.
Posted By: CJIMI

Re: Traveling with CPAP machine - 01/03/2021 02:37 AM

I have been "plugged in" since 1991. My current CPAP machine is a Transcend mini-cpap; about the size of a 12 oz soda can, and weights about a pound ( the separate humidifier is a bit bigger ). It comes with worldwide adapter plugs - you use a different one on the French side, and automatically adapts to whatever voltage is provided. No need for a separate transformer..
I take it everywhere that I travel. When I go to Saint Martin, I also take an 8 hour rechargeable Lithium - ion battery - just in case you have a power outage. I purchased the battery about 3 years ago - I think that I paid about $250.
If you have any kind of medical insurance, they will likely provide you with a heavier older model CPAP machine that is much too heavy to lug around. I returned the last CPAP sent by my insurance company. I purchased the Transcend on line for less than $500.
Don't leave home without it -guarantees a good nights sleep.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline