TravelTalkOnline

Chippie Phone Top-Up

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/11/2021 11:19 PM

This comes up on occasion and was something I do not recall seeing in the past. I know some have the Chippie Top-Up cards and will transfer funds to their SXM phone to keep the number active. It appears Chippie now offers the option to add funds via their website. The minimum is $10 so this will not work for those who add $1 every 60 days but is a good alternative to add funds when on the island without making a stop to do so.

CHIPPIE Top-Up
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/12/2021 12:23 AM

Thanks JD- I had plans to stop at the tech store at Carrefour one of these days to add some money to my phone but I just tried the online top-up and it worked perfectly.

Re: Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/12/2021 10:42 AM

Good deal. I was looking at the UTS site to answer another question and found this.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/12/2021 01:15 PM

I wish they had an online option to add funds to the top-up card. I'm thinking when mine runs out, I may just use my Verizon phone on the island. It's not that often that I actually make a phone call when wifi isn't available, so the Chippie phone isn't as crucial as it once was. I do like having a phone with me for emergencies when I'm not at a wifi location (on the road, for example).

Re: Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/12/2021 01:31 PM

Totally agree. I have a fair amount on my top-up card and SXM phone as well but I think we are changing cell phone carriers and I should be able to use what we go to (Spectrum) on the island and for 1/2 the price of the chippie deal. This would include local SXM calls and calls to and from the US and supposedly for 7 cents per minute. If this in fact works, it would pretty much make having my SXM phone obsolete. I have no idea on Wi-Fi calling as I am way behind the times on stuff like that.
Posted By: JoeC047

Re: Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/12/2021 05:31 PM

I had a chippie phone for years, I now use Whats App to call anywhere, Free!
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/12/2021 05:48 PM

this will give you an idea of what WiFi calling is....the link is for AT&T, but i assume most service providers that offer it work similarly...in order for WiFi calling to work, both your service provider and phone must support it

AT&T WiFi Calling
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Chippie Phone Top-Up - 01/12/2021 07:59 PM

Yup...use wifi calling everywhere we travel AND at home 'cuz our cell signal is lame. Only issue is that voice mail will be held until it's turned off ((Verizon) but that not a deal breaker

Just made two calls home (from SXM) with no issues and no cost
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline