TravelTalkOnline

A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result

Posted By: EdB

A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/01/2021 08:22 PM

Today we got swabbed at the Red Cross at Hope Estates. Kudos to the staff there, for their professionalism, the abiliity to answer most questions, and the ease of it all. We arrived at approx 10:55, and by 11:10 we were on our way to the beach. We were the second car in line...it did appear to start getting more people lining up on our way out, but for us it was PERFECT timing. Within the next 60 minutes or so, we recieved the email that we were tested ''negatif''. For anyone here now, or anyone planning on coming in the next foreseeable future, i would highly recomend getting tested at Red Cross. Oh, did i mention that the price for the testing, and the quick turnaround is.....FREE!!!! People here are spending anywhere from 65 dollars to 135 dollars to get the test. Don't ask me why, but i will gladly take the ''free'' any day of the week, and with the professionalism displayed today, in my opinion, it's a no brainer where to go.

Ten minutes later, we were lounging on our chaises at where else but LeString. Had another great lunch, took my what has become my ''daily nap'' on the beach, and enjoyed another wonderful afternoon. Jean Henry, Severine, and the entire crew makes one feel very welcomed to their place.

Sad to think tomorrow will be the last for the next 49 weeks. Tonight planning on a great dinner with friends from the island. Not sure where we will end up. Stay tuned for details. smile Have I mentioned how much i LOVE SXM??? smile

More to follow.
Posted By: tbone

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/01/2021 08:56 PM

What hours is the Red Cross open in Hope Estates?
Posted By: fabila

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/01/2021 09:16 PM

Thanks for your reports. Tbone a couple we met the other day and she said it the drive through in Hope Estates opens at 11:00 am.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/01/2021 09:37 PM

yes, they are open 11 to 2.
Posted By: cathym

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/01/2021 10:13 PM

Hi Ed - have really enjoyed reading your reports. We’re heading to SXM in 3 weeks and would like to take our return test at the Red Cross in Hope Estates. I googled that Red Cross but the only one that pops up is in Simpson Bay. Is there another business nearby that I could use as a point of reference to get directions to this Red Cross?

Thanks - Cathy
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/01/2021 10:16 PM

Look back on some o Ed's previous post. He posted a picture of the location and point of reference.
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/01/2021 11:31 PM

Has anyone heard if any tourists have tested positive for their exit test? And if so, what happened.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 03:19 AM

So without any response in three hours, my take on all of this testing is that, no tourist will test positive for their return trip home. I believed I answered my own question.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 03:20 AM

I’m just asking.........
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by SXMFOX
So without any response in three hours, my take on all of this testing is that, no tourist will test positive for their return trip home. I believed I answered my own question.

Imagine that! Very well could be. Seems rather strange to not even have at least a false positive by this time. I hope the testing is accurate but I would also be interested to see how the mandatory insurance would be handled and how it worked when or if needed.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 12:58 PM

Fox--I'm not at all sure that I would draw that conclusion. If someone were to test positive, they probably wouldn't publicize it..

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 01:53 PM

Yes I understand it not being publicized, but in this day and age of social media to be sure someone would have put something out there. Several stores have come out of the BVI about folks testing positive for Covid. I just find it strange that there are no such stories coming out St Maarten, or in any other Caribbean island that large amounts of tourists visit. I also agree with rural carrier. I was just curious, not wishing any bad luck on anyone’s travels. Thanks for the reply.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 02:12 PM

Fox--I think you are not looking very hard, if you haven't seen stories of tourists testing positive throughout the Caribbean. The person involved would have zero to gain by publicizing such.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 02:16 PM

I fully believe it would be on social media as the people impacted would likely post about it. Recently some honeymooners in Mexico tested positive and it made national news. SXM might not publicize it but it would get out in short order in some fashion.

LINK
Posted By: boucharda

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 02:18 PM

i agree...I saw a couple of positives for Mexico visitors but zip from SXM....and the rational of requiring testing for visitors (tested negative prior to visit) to an Island that has a daily case rate of 5/day or less for over a month ...and....not requiring testing for visitors (never tested) travelling back and forth to/from US States with persistent or rising daily cases in the multi thousands.

I not suggesting testing in the USA....and I know that there is a huge population difference...but....I can't say the virus is out of control in SXM....it seems to be controlled and visitors should not have to go through the, most likely , unnecessary mandates to return to a place that is NOT under control

No issue with testing prior to travel TO the Island....

Rant over.....

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 02:19 PM

JD--Yes, I posted a link about the Mexico situation a few days ago in the Mexico forum. That's what I meant about him not looking. People ARE testing positive in the Caribbean, for sure. As to whether some are in SXM, SXM as of NOW has a pretty low incidence of Covid in general. In places like Curacao, which again I posted a link to Curacao's situation in the proper forum, Curacao is getting 500 new cases a DAY. I'm sure some of those are tourists.
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 03:22 PM

Are you getting a copy printed from the email?

You had the quick test Thursday and are leaving on a Saturday----just checking, since we will be doing it soon.

Enjoy your last day and thanks for all the reports and info!
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 04:00 PM

I also was wondering if you could return to Red Cross and get a hard copy of your test results.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 04:04 PM

Just print out the emailed results.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 04:43 PM

We will not have access to a printer, so a hard copy would be good.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 04:43 PM

Not sure where you are staying, but if on the Dutch side, you could go to the Mailbox to print it out.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 04:55 PM

Thank you, that would be an option as i assumed there was a place i could get it done. We are staying in Orient Village area, it is less than a 10 minute drive to Red Cross, if it is located where i think it is.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 05:02 PM

You can return the the site and get a printed copy. When you get your test, confirm with them what time you can return (I think it is 2 or 2:30).

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 05:07 PM

If not provided go to The Mailbox in Simpson Bay to get it printed.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 05:09 PM

Thank you that sounds good, and very convenient!

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 05:16 PM

If you're staying at a resort most all resorts could print it out for you off your email too.

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/02/2021 05:32 PM

Thanks, but we are in a VRBO. When we stayed at Atrium they did print our boarding passes for us, so i know most places are pretty good about it.
Posted By: Todd

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/03/2021 12:55 AM

Did not find in my search but only looked at a few post of Eds, we know the Simpson Bay location but not Hope Estates. It would be nice if it was reposted.
Cheers,
Todd

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/03/2021 03:56 AM

It is a temporary place for drive through testing. It is literary right next to a building called SMEC. Red Cross setup is in the parking lot next door. coming from grand case, right hand side, bout a quarter of a mile before you come to Super U and the othershops at Hope Estate roundabout. There are a couple of red cross flags flying there. It was quick in, quick out, and we had our results in an hour.
Posted By: cathym

Re: A VERY postitive experience to get a ''Negatif" result - 04/03/2021 04:59 PM

Thank you!

Cathy
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline