TravelTalkOnline

Beware Walgreens test on the weekend!

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 01:17 PM

We took our Covid tests on Saturday and have been waiting for results. It turns out that the lab has not even RECEIVED our tests yet, and there is no guarantee that we will even get them in time.
They said the samples weren't even MAILED until last evening. Walgreens was extremely unhelpful, just said they didn't do testing for travel. Looking now for an antigen test that I can take and get immediate results..
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 01:25 PM

What about purchasing the Binax COVID test kit that is now accepted for international travel? Maybe some CVS stores have those in stock. But, it appears you have to notify your primary care physician's office and let them know you are using this kit so they can certify the results. Just 'spitballing' here.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 01:28 PM

I don't know what to do. I found one place that we can go and spend $179 EACH for a one hour test. I don't know how to get that other Binax now test, as the one is not acceptable, that they carry at CVS, or whatever.
Posted By: RickandJulie

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 01:34 PM

I am soooooo sorry to hear of the problems you're having. I can't wait for this sh** to over with.

Good luck and let us know when you arrive on the island.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 01:50 PM

I told the person when we took the test that we were leaving on Thursday and she said it was no problem, we would have the results in plenty of time.. Making a reservation for the antigen test for
tomorrow and hope that we don't need it. This absolutely sucks.
Posted By: pat

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 01:54 PM

Carol,

We ran into a somewhat similar situation .in April with our local hospital lab failing to pass our samples to the main lab for testing. At the point we discovered this we didn’t have enough time left for the original testing.

A few phone calls later Kim found an urgent care facility locally that allowed walk-ins with fifteen minute turn around. We had originally booked our appointments for the rt-PCR test but due to the errors made by the local lab we had the rapid antigen test done at urgent care and walked out with printed results in hand. Uploaded without issue and we were good to go.

The urgent care facility accepted our MediCare card but I haven’t seen anything from the carrier as to whether or not they paid it since it was for travel as opposed to Covid concerns. I’m betting you understand what I was whining about when I was so stressed out before our April trip and I’m so sorry you have to go through this. It really does put a bit of a damper on the planning and anticipation stages of the trip.

Good luck. 🙂🙂
Posted By: kim

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:01 PM

Do you have any walk in medical clinics? Like AFC or something like that?
Posted By: BEERMAN

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:03 PM

Carol, we did an antibody test at cvs $38 and had results in 10 minutes. Here they have appointment times open every day, probably same there. They give you a report there and it's accessible online.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:08 PM

Pat--the only place I have found so far I can get an appointment, you have to go BACK to pick up printed results, and it is an hour one WAY from our house...
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:12 PM

How ridiculous !!
This should never happen. shocked
It does suck!!!

Can't wait to see your first post opening a bottle of wine at BSV!!!

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:18 PM

Found another place, that is $150 and will NOT accept insurance at all. Have an appointment there late this afternoon.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:19 PM

ANTIBODY tests are useless. It has to be a PCR test or an ANTIGEN test.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Pat--the only place I have found so far I can get an appointment, you have to go BACK to pick up printed results, and it is an hour one WAY from our house...

What's the chances of waiting there for the results? Sometimes that will speed up the process. Either that or a nice leisurely lunch in the area (or breakfast, coffee, snack, etc.?) and just wait out the hour. Personally, I think at the point you're at, I'd wait there since they usually have chairs for those waiting for their Rx - bring a book and get comfy? This whole process stinks but sadly, it is what it is and for now, all we can do is deal with it.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:25 PM

Pat--we are both working and having obligations here. All these places are a minimum one hour away from here.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:32 PM

Carol. There is a Wahgreen number to the Lab to call on your test appointment form. I had to call it when my results didn't come after my wife and travel friends did. They took the test same time I did. Results were available and they sent email PDF immediatly. Might want to try that number if it's on your reservation paper. Good luck.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:33 PM

By any chance, is there an option of getting tested at the airport?

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:37 PM

Scubaman--My test has never even been RECEIVED at the lab. The local Walgreens said that they did not even go out in the mail until last evening. As of 5 minutes ago, they are still not even showing up as having been received.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:38 PM

Terri--that doesn't help me even if they have it there, as I can't get approval from SXM.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:42 PM

Ouch. If all goes well you should have time. We took our test mid afterneen on a Monday for our Friday/Saturday redeye flight. I finally got my results Wedensday morning. EHAS took about 1 hour for mine to come back approved. Fingers crossed for you two.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:45 PM

Terri--that doesn't help me even if they have it there, as I can't get approval from SXM.

Right!

Hopefully, you will hear this morning!!!!.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:51 PM

Pat--we are both working and having obligations here. All these places are a minimum one hour away from here.

I get it, Carol, but if it were me, I'd find a way to work around us both working and obligations if it meant a trip or not! Can you reschedule your obligations and/or work late to compensate for the time spent getting the reports? There's got to be a way.......

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 02:52 PM

We will do what we have to do, but this should not be this hard.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 03:04 PM

I agree, ABSOLUTELY, but sadly, for some of us it is. All we can do is deal with it as best we can - whatever than takes or pass on the trip. I'm not into passing....... smile smile
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 03:04 PM

Carol, if you get online and order that BinaxNow out from Emed, they overnight the kits. tomorrow you both could do the tests at home and have your results in less than 30 minutes. 6 tests for $150. Than pack 2 of the extra tests and you can do them for your re-entry. Just a thought.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 03:08 PM

bdeeley==at this point, we have written off the Walgreens thing and hopefully everything will go OK with our appointments this afternoon.
Posted By: Angelface

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 03:27 PM

Oh man, what a pain! I hope it all works out and you are soon in your happy place with toes in the sand.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 03:36 PM

Ok, good luck. Emed, is separate from Walgreens. You would not be dealing with Walgreens in any way. Just keep it in mind if you run into any additional problems. Emed.com

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 03:43 PM

bdeeley--sorry no way I am doing anything mail order at this point.

Angelface--thanks.
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 03:54 PM

Carol, it's a good time to think about your return test. We did not want to pay, but decided the peace of mind that scheduling a test in advance at Mediwork was totally worth it. We just got an early appointment and had our results just before our Zee best breakfast got to the table. The time slots fill up pretty quickly so the earlier scheduled the better.

We wish you a wonderful trip!

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 04:01 PM

Oh, we have already decided to do the Medwork thing on the return trip. I don't know whether to go ahead and make the reservation before we leave home or not. Still spazzing out over this end..

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 04:18 PM

Carol,

For what it's worth, we booked our MedWorks appointment for coming home on line prior to even heading down to the island. That was the easy test to handle and if I were going again any time soon, that's probably what I would do again. You can always cancel and get a refund if you decide on something better while there.

I'm glad everything else has been resolved. And once again I'll wish you a happy trip. Enjoy your time as we know you will.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 04:21 PM

Everything else resolved?? Nothing has gotten resolved yet, other than I have written off Walgreens. We are supposed to have an appointment this afternoon for our tests, but I am not certain of anything at this point. Eric wants to wait to make the appointment for the return test till we get there.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 04:31 PM

Did you consider looking for an AFC walk-in clinic? Also - I wouldn’t wait too long. To make the medwork appointments. I get waiting. But once you get your EHAS approval and are definitely going, I would go online and make the medwork apt. They only do so many a day.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 04:32 PM

Where I'm going is a walk in clinic, yes. I don't know what an AFC walk in clinic is.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 04:58 PM

Yeah, I’m not sure what AFC is either?

Most walk-in clinics here are Patient First.

What is this MedWorks of which you speak?
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 04:59 PM

Everything else resolved?? Nothing has gotten resolved yet, other than I have written off Walgreens. We are supposed to have an appointment this afternoon for our tests, but I am not certain of anything at this point. Eric wants to wait to make the appointment for the return test till we get there.

Maybe get a Xanax ‘script while you’re there? Lol. wink

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 05:06 PM

BeachKitten--Medworks does testing in SXM, for return to the US. And Xanax sounds like an EXCELLENT idea!
Posted By: garymoe

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 05:42 PM

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. It this is exactly why we chose not to travel after 15 yrs. We love SXM. But now with many people vaccinated, that should be all you need to travel. Hence, we are going to the Bahamas. Fill out health form and show Covid Card and you are good to go. Hopefully the SXM government will have their act together next year. If not, I don’t see how the country will survive.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 06:06 PM

In RI we had no problem getting covid travel test at Walgreens. Got email results in 24 hours.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 06:13 PM

Of course we are the first ones that seem to have had a problem with it..

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 07:07 PM

Hope it’s resolved. But if not Google AFC Urgent Care for your area. They are a pretty much nation wide walk in urgent care. They do antigen COVID testing. Walk in or by appointment.
Posted By: stjames

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 08:38 PM

Sorry you are going through this Carol. I agree with everything Garymoe said. We're 20 year visitors to the island and will not return until fully vaccinated travelers can travel without testing. Searching for someplace else this Summer.
Good luck with everything!
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 09:18 PM

Carol, I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with testing. It definitely sucks. This whole thing sucks! Going on vacation is not supposed to be this stressful. Good luck and I hope you get your results soon.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/08/2021 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
Carol, if you get online and order that BinaxNow out from Emed, they overnight the kits. tomorrow you both could do the tests at home and have your results in less than 30 minutes. 6 tests for $150. Than pack 2 of the extra tests and you can do them for your re-entry. Just a thought.

At home tests are not accepted by Sint Maarten
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 12:21 AM

Carol, so sorry about your experience.

For what it is worth, on Saturday May 29, I scheduled our appointments for COVID PCR tests at a nearby CVS in Henrico County Virginia (think RIchmond). They schedule one test every ten minutes online So, the wife was 12:10 pm and I was 12:20 pm on Thursday June 3, which was just within the 120 hours before our flight from CLT to SXM on the morning of June 8 - today. We took the tests at the same time at the CVS drive through window under supervision of a NP. She asked if it was for travel and we said yes - they said it would cost nothing if you have insurance and we just gave them our Medicare information - no charge. We received the negative test results by email at 1:48 pm on Friday June 4. I immediately submitted everything to EHAS (using each of our email addresses for each submission). We received the preapproval by email at 3:41 pm that Friday.

We also received our two Moderna shots at CVS and they had a very good operation.

At the airport today we just handed the health person in his booth our passports, negative results from the CVS test, and the pre-approval. Although I had paperwork on my phone as backup, I printed everything out and used the paper copies. Staying at Divi three nights and then moving over to one of Cecile's rooms at Palm Court. She does not think we need to test or retest to stay on french-side after getting OK from EHAS and staying on dutch-side three nights. If we had come directly to french-side to stay, she thought we should do the test within the 72 hours that the Collectivitie is stating.

For us, it was really very simple in practice - but still rather stressful for us until we had the green stamps on our papers.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 12:39 AM

Glad you had a much better experience than we did. As of now, I'M GOING.. Eric, we don't know yet...

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 12:43 AM

OK, just got Eric's approval, hour and a half after mine wave

Wow, this is too much stress, just to go on vacation..

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 12:46 AM

Wonderful News! Hope your vacation is uneventful, stress free and very enjoyable. Safe Travels.
Posted By: Lucky13

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 12:55 AM

Glad to hear you are all set! As you may recall from my post in April, we got both PCR and antigen tests prior to travel. Good thing we did, because my wife’s antigen test was rejected by SXM as not FDA approved. NOT good for the stress levels.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 01:03 AM

thanks..
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 01:09 AM

yay!!! Have fun!!
Posted By: JeanneJOE

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 02:21 AM

We went to Aruba this year instead of SXM. Flew out on a Wednesday morning and on Sunday afternoon was tested at Walgreens RED Dot Now test results in one hour. Didn't cost us anything. Prior to this test, I had found a clinic that offered the test for $180. I contacted my insurance company and they said it was reimbursable. For our return trip to the states, we received a receipt for the two tests and I forwarded to our insurance for reimbursement which I have received payment in full. All of this was stressful, but in the end worthwhile.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 02:34 AM

Just curious. Did you ever get the Walgreens results? If the eventually come please post. Glad you're all set.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 12:59 PM

The Walgreens test came back after we had already got the other test and gotten approved...

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 02:20 PM

I figured it woiuld. At least you're good to go. Safe travels.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 03:07 PM

We were just afraid to take the chance, considering they had seriously let us down already.

Thanks.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 03:12 PM

The important thing is you are good to go and covid negative.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 03:46 PM

Yes, for sure.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 03:57 PM

Have a great trip! The difficulties getting there will only make it all the more enjoyable.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 04:07 PM

Yes, it will be so great to take that first big breath of the Caribbean air!
Posted By: thesimpsons

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 04:16 PM

Yay! Have a wonderful trip!!

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 04:27 PM

Looks like the weather is getting better right after you get there. Enjoy.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 04:54 PM

the simpsons--thanks.

Scubaman--haven't even looked at the weather. I TRY to worry only about things I can control. grin
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 05:21 PM

The previous 62 posts under this topic heading are precisely why my return to St. Maarten will not be until this 'overkill' of testing has been officially halted on the island. Talk about jumping' through hoops! Hopefully, the U.S. will also end this requirement for those who a fully vaccinated.
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 07:13 PM

This response was to SammyM

We almost made the same decision for the same reason, but are glad we did not. Judging from many of your posts, I feel certain that you could get everything done for entry and wind up on the island. But I understand if you just do not want to deal with it.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by SammyM
The previous 62 posts under this topic heading are precisely why my return to St. Maarten will not be until this 'overkill' of testing has been officially halted on the island. Talk about jumping' through hoops! Hopefully, the U.S. will also end this requirement for those who a fully vaccinated.

BINGO!!! We have another winner! And drop the foolish money-grabbing MANDATORY insurance that (it appears at least) NOBODY has used!
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 07:18 PM

I am so sorry for your stress, Carol. This just sucks. I found an AFC/urgent care open on Memorial Day (which was my stressor). Is that's what's an hour away from you. Again, so sorry.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 07:54 PM

Linda--it's behind us now, and hopefully no issues tomorrow!!
Posted By: bran

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Originally Posted by SammyM

BINGO!!! We have another winner! And drop the foolish money-grabbing MANDATORY insurance that (it appears at least) NOBODY has used!

Yes, just couldn't wait to get back and will have another go in Nov/Dec but will not go though any pre-testing, stress, extra insurance and doing the same returning. A Vacation is meant to be stress free and a build up of excitement before and during...coming home, well, that's another story but we usually look forward to that as well. For those already there and on the way, sure it all works out and makes up for all the nonsense. Funny thing is, went to our place in Florida and ended up buying another condo which sometimes is far more stress(and expense) than any vacation. drown
duh

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 11:26 PM

Hey bran if that condo is on the beach, would be happy to occupy it for you for a week or two, just to not have it empty!!grin

In the meantime, I am very happy to be headed to SXM in the morning!!!

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 11:27 PM

Hope you have a safe and once there Carol, a fabulous time and it will all be worth it. Envious in one way but happy for you. enjoy.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 11:28 PM

Longboat Key. Complete in a month or so.

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/09/2021 11:37 PM

Thanks very much bran.

Oh, building a place on the ocean?? You are a lot braver than I am!! Hope it is great!

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/10/2021 02:38 PM

Hope your flight goes as schedualed today. Enjoy your time in SXM.
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: Beware Walgreens test on the weekend! - 06/10/2021 06:06 PM

Carol - hope you had a safe flight. Have a fantastic time! smile
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline