TravelTalkOnline

Island wide blackout

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 02:53 AM

Announcement from GEBE
From GEBE:

We are experiencing an island wide black out. Our team of engineers and technicians are currently investigating the cause. Please bear with us, as the (cause) / information is not readily available.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 12:32 PM

Again? Jeez louise. Hopefully it's back on this morning.

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 12:44 PM

OMG. Yesterday was Saturday and the electric was out at the airport....
Posted By: pat

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 01:10 PM

OMG!! Do they really NOT have their own generators at the airport for such emergencies?

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 01:15 PM

Apparently the generator doesn't work. It didn't work on June 21 when we left SXM, and didn't work yesterday either.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 02:10 PM

Island-wide?

Isn’t French-side power provided by EDF, or has something changed from decades ago when I used to get an invoice from them?

I never see notices that EDF has an outage.

As to generators, maintenance isn’t that hard. Annual or semi-annual oil changes and air filter replacements are easy, and so are fuel filter replacements, Anything beyond that likely requires a field technician with a laptop. In a normal world, backup generators run for only a few dozen hours each year, and much of that is monthly testing. In a GEBE world, who knows.

Still, generator failures happen, and that’s when you call in a factory-trained tech who has factory software on their laptop, and expect to pay big bucks if they come from off-island.

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 02:18 PM

"From GEBE:
At approximately 2: 27 PM, on July 3, 2021, the power plant experienced an unknown issue which resulted in a island wide (Dutch side) blackout.
Ensuing an in depth investigation, the power plant engineers alongside the onsite field service technicians of Wartsila discovered that a few parameters needed to be adjusted as the power plant is currently in the final test phase of the newly Server base system upgrade.
N.V GEBE would like to thank the general public for their patience throughout the system upgrade as the company looks towards a more reliable power system."

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 02:26 PM

Bahston--Yes, when they say "island wide", they mean the Dutch side only, which is serviced by GEBE. The French side has a different electric provider.

As far as not maintaining the generator, well, this is St Maarten we are talking about, and GEBE.. They have no clue what they are doing, 90% of the time.
Posted By: SANFILIP

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 07:40 PM

GEBE’s acronym is ‘Gives Everything But Electricity’, is deservingly so fitting.😎
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/04/2021 11:51 PM

Got to love the ineptness. Just like with the airport debacle.

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 02:43 AM

How PJIA deals with this.
https://www.smn-news.com/st-maarten...ng-island-wide-electricity-failures.html
Posted By: gracie105

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 04:34 AM

Does anyone have an update on the outage? I am supposed to be arriving on Saturday. Thanks
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 11:16 AM

We are here now and it hasn't affected our stay one bit.
Posted By: freedomfighter

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 11:33 AM

Living in Florida, which is often impacted by Tropical weather, we have a whole house, standby generator. It automatically starts itself every Sunday morning and runs for 15 minutes to charge it's battery. Every time it starts, it sends me an email. If it tries to start and is unable to do so, it sends me an email. There is no legitimate excuse for a standby generator not working when it's needed, unless the problem has cropped up during the past week. Incompetence, if you ask me.

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 01:02 PM

bdeeley--do you have a generator there??
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by freedomfighter
Living in Florida, which is often impacted by Tropical weather, we have a whole house, standby generator. It automatically starts itself every Sunday morning and runs for 15 minutes....

Can you loan the generator to GEBE?
Posted By: irina

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 04:19 PM

Carol,
It's the RAT! Jeez. You people forget everything!
Cheers
irina
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Island wide blackout - 07/05/2021 08:19 PM

I couldn't fit it in my luggage. I was going to ask Kim to run an extension cord here if needed.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline