TravelTalkOnline

Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6

Posted By: jazzgal

Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 03:56 AM

Wednesday, June 30

When you leave Divi, you are not supposed to turn left onto Little Bay Road, but I (and many others) do it all the time. Last Saturday when I was leaving with my bags in my car, the traffic was pretty heavy and I decided to obey the sign for once. I drove down to the parking lot across from where Great Bay Sonesta used to be and turned around. When I was coming out of the lot, I hit something that I didn’t see; not sure if it was a curb or tree trunk or ?? But I significantly dented the right front fender of my rental.

I pulled out and read all the provisions of collision coverage on my Capital One card and then headed to Leisure Car Rental to see what they wanted to do. Jimmy was disappointed, of course, but glad I hadn’t been hurt. I filled out an “incident report,” and he gave me a copy. I left him with a list of what he needed to provide; the remaining item was a repair estimate. He said he would secure that within a day or two of my returning the car. Submitting all the paperwork is a nice little chore I have ahead of me when back home. Sigh.

[Linked Image]

I hung around the Toad for the afternoon and discovered the hammock! What a relaxing way to loaf!

I accepted an invitation to join a group for happy hour at, wait for it, Balls and Wine. On Wine Wednesdays they have discounts on select wines. It was a fun evening with nice people and we again left sated.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thursday, July 1

Two storm fronts are supposed to be moving in, starting today, so I made an appointment to go visit Ruby Bute instead of going to the beach. (Turns out, it would have been a nice beach day.) I hadn’t seen her for a couple of years, and it was good to catch up. Since we are both vaccinated, we exchanged a big hug. Her stories about being in the hospital in Guadeloupe were pretty funny if it weren’t for the fact that she was ill. She is better now and just has to watch what she eats.

[Linked Image]

After her physical therapist left, we went over to the gallery. She now has mugs available with her art work, and I saw several new tiles (I already have about 17 in a wall display at home). I was especially drawn to this giclee; apparently it’s available in a tile, but she couldn’t find one. I decided to purchase the giclee, which was mounted on a frame. It would have been awkward in my suitcase so she painstakingly removed all the staples from the frame and rolled it up in a tube for transport home. I just love it.

[Linked Image]

Ruby’s cat. She is much thinner than the last time I saw her and is losing hair due to allergies. Nonetheless, she is very sweet and let me love on her.

[Linked Image]

It was a pleasant afternoon.

Dinner was with a group at Le Marrakech in Marigot, which is decorated very elaborately. I was told the owners handmade all the hangings themselves; very lavish. Since I neglected to take pictures of the interior, I am stealing one someone else posted on Facebook. I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner: chicken with almonds and honey over couscous. And that was just half of the serving!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Friday, July 2

Departure starts to get real when you have to take your PCR test. My appointment was the first of the day at Medworks, in the Puerta del Sol building. I arrived around 7:45 a.m. for my 8:00 a.m. appointment. No one was there yet. A couple of staff folks arrived, but the nurse was apparently hung up in traffic. She finally arrived, and I was tested at 8:20 a.m. My results were received at 8:51 a.m. while I was having breakfast at Reveil Matin, at which time I noted that my last name was spelled incorrectly. I emailed them asking for it to be corrected, and they did re-send the test with correct name shortly thereafter. I dropped by for a hard copy, only to learn that their internet had just gone down. Knowing I could print it out at the Horny Toad office, I left. They did ask for my passport, and the number appears on my test result. I noted that a couple of other people presented driver licenses, which apparently are also accepted.

Dinner was at La Rosa Too in Maho; nothing noteworthy and no pictures taken.

Saturday, July 3

I was supposed to go on a rescheduled sail on No1SXM today but woke up to really active seas from the storms blowing through the region. I thought the water would probably be pretty rough when we got out of the boat so cancelled my reservation. I then regretted it for the rest of the day. While the water is still seemingly turbulent, it was a beautiful day. I could see them loading the boat from my deck and watched them sail away sans moi.

[Linked Image]

Went in to town to pick up my repaired Omega chain after the parrot chewed through the clasp. Back to Horny Toad for a relaxing afternoon in the hammock.

A few reports ago I mentioned an arts/crafts fair at Adonis Hotel that I attended. Finally got around to taking a picture of the rag quilt I picked up as a baby gift for a friend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Some friends who live on the island had invited me to their home for dinner. After some back and forth about the electricity situation (off on the Dutch side), dinner was still on; it was a lovely evening. This is one of the views from their deck.

[Linked Image]

And you may recognize them.

[Linked Image]

After dinner, I went to The Palms for dessert, where Greg makes wonderful cheesecake. Tonight’s offering was peanut butter with strawberry sauce. While there, I met CaribbeanScout and her husband for the first time; we aren’t usually on the island at the same time.

Sunday, July 4

Spent time on the deck enjoying the sound of the ocean and the views. The innkeepers are off island for a while, but their dog is enjoying playing with the dog of the substitute innkeeper.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am really going to miss these views.

I then headed to Anse Marcel, my favorite beach on the island, for my last day in the sun. I had made a reservation on line, which they said they did not receive. After quite a bit of back and forth, they acknowledged they remembered me from prior years and let a beach attendant get me set up. I showed them where I signed up on line, and they said despite the restaurant picture, that the reservation went to the hotel, not the restaurant. They gave me a business card with phone number and the personal email of the reservationist so I should be set in the future. It was a perfect beach day. It appears quite a few folks with boats arrive for time on the beach and/or lunch in the restaurant.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On the way back to the Toad, I took a photo of this mural at the beginning of the street leading to Friar’s Bay Beach Club.

[Linked Image]

I had leftovers on the deck at the Horny Toad and continued with packing. I am the only guest at the Toad tonight. After I leave, they will be empty for awhile and will be having some maintenance done.

Thus endeth a month on the island. I leave tomorrow on AA at 2:40 p.m., connecting in Charlotte for a flight home to Portland, assuming the flight doesn’t get cancelled. There were a lot of things I didn’t do, which will have to wait until late October, when I return for five weeks. Thanks for coming along with me and for your nice comments about my reports.
Posted By: HibiscusFan

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 04:32 AM

I've enjoyed all of your reports. The photography is wonderful. Will be looking forward to your reports in October. Thanks for keeping us informed..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 09:30 AM

Thanks for another great report.
Posted By: jomarc

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 11:38 AM

I’ve enjoyed reading your trip reports and viewing the beautiful pictures. That giclee is absolutely stunning! Have a good trip home.
Posted By: pat

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 12:49 PM

I think we will ALL be sad when you are no longer on island and reporting to us on your travels. TY again for another lovely read.
Posted By: SXMNAN

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 12:56 PM

Linda enjoyed all your reports, always look forward to each one and thanks for taking us along on your vacation. Hard to believe month has already gone. wishing you a safe trip home
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 12:59 PM

Sorry about the car. I know that puts a damper on things. We had an issue a few years ago and it took a while, and some dollars, to figure out. I didn't keep track exactly, but did you only go to Anse Marcel twice and you had problems with your reservation both times??? Not sure what is going on there, but doesn't sound good.

Thanks so much for all the lovely pictures!

Since this was posted last night, I guess you are going home today. Safe travels!!
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 01:10 PM

I really enjoyed the pictures. Haven't even been gone one week, and I'm already wanting to go back. Only 8 months to go.
Posted By: crsxm

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 03:42 PM

Thanks for taking us along for the ride! Loved the report and the pictures--felt like we were right there with you! Our time on the Island is coming up in just two weeks, can't wait!
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/05/2021 05:12 PM

Nice report Linda. Glad you got to see Ruby and sorry to hear she has been ill. Safe travels home.
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/06/2021 09:17 PM

Sorry to hear about the car. I've enjoyed all your wonderful trip reports and your beautiful photos. As I said before, you truly know how to capture the island and all it's glory. Safe travels.
Posted By: Cincinnati_Kid

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/06/2021 11:46 PM

Linda, I routinely use that parking lot to turn around in, in lieu of the Great Bay semi-circular drive that was wiped out in the hurricane. I frequently hit my right front tire against the curb while pulling out of that lot, when making the trek up the hill, then down into the Divi driveway, no matter how hard I try not to. Not sure what you hit. Was this at night ? I don't turn left out of Divi because of my concern that going up the steep hill I might not get the necessary acceleration to stay out of trouble.

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/07/2021 12:34 AM

Nope - broad daylight. I just wasn't paying close enough attention; I think it was the curb I hit. The front of the car is pretty low to the ground.

I received the estimate today and it was only $495. I told them to just charge my card and I will work with insurance company to see what I can get back.

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/07/2021 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I didn't keep track exactly, but did you only go to Anse Marcel twice and you had problems with your reservation both times???

Both time I made reservations, it was on Anse Marcel Beach LINK. If you click on the "restaurant" tab and scroll to the bottom, there's a box that says "make a reservation" which I did. HOWEVER, the email that's created by completing that box goes to the hotel, not the restaurant. So while I thought I was making a reservation, I wasn't, and they didn't receive it. No one's fault, except they need to update the website. Once they understood what I had been doing, they were quite gracious in making sure I know what to do next time. I look forward to continuing to be welcomed there. smile

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/07/2021 01:17 AM

No, sorry, I disagree, that it's no one's fault. It is the fault of the webmaster, as ANYONE looking at that page would assume that's how you make a reservation at the restaurant. I cannot imagine that you were the first to make that mistake...
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/07/2021 02:53 AM

I've used both the messenger on their Facebook paige and also texted their whatsapp number to reserve beach loungers plus lunches in cabana. They have always responded to that.

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/07/2021 06:58 AM

Good to know!
Posted By: SXMNorm

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/07/2021 08:44 PM

Thanks for taking time to post your reports and pics. Always enjoy them. Much easier to go home, knowing you're already scheduled for another visit..... and not too far in the future.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/07/2021 10:57 PM

Thanks for the reports and photos. Always nice to hear what is going on around our favorite island.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/08/2021 12:29 PM

Thank you for taking us on a wonderful trip around the island!!! BTW, more than likely you cut the turn to tight, clipped the curb. No biggie!! I doubt very much if they even fix it!! Thanks for sharing your lovely photos, we really enjoyed them!! Yes, you know when the trip ( the new norm) is coming to an end when you have to go for your PCR test! Safe travels! Hope to run into you at some point!!

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/08/2021 01:15 PM

David--Unfortunately, you are probably correct. They probably WON'T fix it..

Re: Trip Report, 6/30/21 - 7/4/21 - Part 6 - 07/08/2021 02:55 PM

For the first time ever, on our next trips we will have a couple of days of crossover. I do hope to meet you and Louise then!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline