TravelTalkOnline

First time trip report

Posted By: bobbarb

First time trip report - 11/07/2021 12:57 AM

This is my first attempt of a trip report. We flew from Newark October 31the fight was full and was 1 hour late as they were waiting for catering service.
We are staying at simpsonbay villas for 2 weeks. We missed last year due to the covid restrictions and noticed that they did a nice job in replacing the furniture inside as well as the patio furniture. Several mornings my wife would get up at 6 am and sleep for an hour on the patio lounge.
I snorkel each morning a little after 7am for an hour and half around the rocks and beyond the resort. I do another snorkel around 11:30am for an hour around Royal Palm around the rocks and 3/4 toward the bridge. We then spend most of the afternoon sitting around the pool and going in the bay.
On one of the cloudy days I walked up the hill to where there used to be a water tower to get a view from the top. That land is being developed with high end villas on 7 acres one unit looks to be close to finished. They are putting in a road as it was just gravel before the real estate broker was there overlooking the project and gave me a brouchour showing all the amenities. Unfortunately they already have a gate that said private property now trespassing but fortunately it was not in operation at that time. I will miss those views in the future.
Meals we have the breakfast buffet at la Patrona as it is included in package.
First night(Sunday) was at Lee's I had Wahoo my better half had coconut shrimp. Both were good.
Second night was at Buccaneer beach bar which had $10 all you can eat bbq ribs and chicken from 5-7. For the really low price it was at best ok but I will not do it again.
Third night we went to the yaht club. We got there before 6 and I had 3 appetizers for$30. Grouper fingers, coconut shrimp and bbq chicken tenders, very good and filling. My wife had the pork tenderloin and enjoyed it as well.
Fourth night we went to Beirut I had a beef and lamb rap with a Greek salad and (great) scalloped potatoes. My wife had a Greek salad with chicken. Both were good they also give you a bowl of soup with your meal, I think it's a mix of lentil and split pea.
Fifth night we went to pineapple peats I had grouper encrusted with spinach and crab my wife had lamb shanks and we split a teramisu all was good.
Tonight we went to Izzi I had what I always get is meat lasagna my wife had the snapper special. Mine was good as always but my wife this was here best meal so far even better than the lamb shanks and she loves lamb shanks. David came out of the kitchen to say hello.

Most of my pictures are underwater as I take to many this a sample different fish other than tonight's sunset

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: mdldgl

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 03:13 AM

Thanks for the report. Looks like you are having a great time.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 04:02 AM

Thanks for sharing your trip. We've never tried Beirut but it sounds like one we should add to our list.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 10:18 AM

Thanks for the report and pictures.
Posted By: Wingman

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 11:36 AM

Thank You for the report. Great pictures. Glad you both are having a great time.... ENJOY!!!
Posted By: bostonbob

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 12:54 PM

Thanks for your report and the great pictures
Posted By: pat

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 01:07 PM

Welcome to SXM and thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. You probably already know this but when at home, waiting for ‘my turn’ the trip reports are eagerly looked for and enjoyed, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who feels that way.

Enjoy the rest of your stay……..
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 01:21 PM

Thanks for the report and the pictures! Now you have done one, you know how to do it! grin Those underwater pictures are lovely! I am always surprised that what I think of as quite exotic fish are right there in SXM! I do wish that you had taken the camera with you when you took that hike to the top of the hill. Hint, hint! smile

Carry on! Sounds like you have another great week to go!!
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 03:07 PM

Great trip report. Thank you for sharing. Your pix are wonderful. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 03:12 PM

I did take the camera but it was cloudy so the pictures are attached also pictures of 2 years ago when it was
sunny.
I also forgot we ate at Marks place I had ribs my wife had curry goat and both were good as always.
I also added a few more queen angels as I remember in a previous post you said you liked them.

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 03:28 PM

Enjoying your sea life pictures. I have taken and posted many underwater pics from my SXM scuba dives but since last year only have those memories. Reaching the age of 74 I finally gave up diving and underwater photography. Now what to do with my 2 dive cameras I have no further use for. All my surface pics are now by my cell phone.
Posted By: crsxm

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 04:24 PM

Thank you for the trip report -- great photos too! We went to Tintemarre in October and didn't see one turtle and here you saw them in your own backyard. That's amazing. Enjoy the rest of your stay.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 08:12 PM

Wow, especailly that third and fourth pics on the hill are beautiful!

And yes I do love those queen angels!!

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 09:41 PM

I only snorkel but I do go down about 25 to 30 feet to look under ledges and rocks. I also collect shells but at 73 I got a nose bleed this trip so I am now staying on top of the water.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: First time trip report - 11/07/2021 11:22 PM

I hear ya. When you're at 60 -72 feet and something goes wrong it'll mess a trip up not only for me but my wife too. Figured it was time to give it up.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline